PDA

View Full Version : [Palm OS] Palm OS: There's no there there

HalSF
2008-01-05, 06:16
I'd be happy if someone talked me out of this, but my impression is that the POS on the N800/N810 is worthless unless you already own a bunch of Palm software. The thousands of available programs that Garnet hyped when it announced the platform prove to be obsolete, expensive, or nonexistent, even if you could figure out which versions run under this VM. It's really cool that I can launch this alternate platform on my Nokia tablet, but as a productive/fun tool -- zilch. A vaporware come-on and a stone-cold dead end, at least so far.

Please tell me I'm wrong - I hope I am.:confused:

dblank
2008-01-05, 06:44
I'd be happy if someone talked me out of this, but my impression is that the POS on the N800/N810 is worthless unless you already own a bunch of Palm software.

For me it's worthless, since it won't run a single program that I'm interested in (bhajis loops, microbe, and other audio synths / samplers / etc).

However, if there's an application you want to run that works in the VM, and has no equivalent running natively, then I wouldn't call it worthless.

unique311
2008-01-05, 06:49
pretty much sucks, until they make use of the ****ing screen the IT has.
found a couple of games and paint programs i wouldn't mind using.

ArgentSilver
2008-01-05, 12:52
As with most things, the answer depends what you want to do! Certainly the folks who already have a bunch of Palm software will appreciate the Garnet VM. But it can fill some gaps in what's available for the tablet, too. One example: The Contact Manager built into the GVM is far superior to the tablet's app, or to anything available for the tablet.

There are still lots of Palm apps available for download for free or low cost, but if they don't fulfill your needs then they're useless...to YOU!

HalSF
2008-01-05, 21:53
I've seen several posts praising the Palm Contacts program that's built into Garnet VM, but is it possible to import multiple contacts? I haven't figured out how, and re-entering alll my data manually is far too onerous. So I'm not seeing how this is a silver lining.

TA-t3
2008-01-07, 13:37
As for the thousands of available programs.. just after Access announced GVM one of the major websites for finding PalmOS freeware was taken over by a company more interested in non-freeware, and they decided to remove a lot of the listings.

There are still lots of good applications to be found though. http://www.freewarepalm.com/listall.shtml

lny98
2008-01-08, 18:03
Believe it or not, no matter how kludgy it is right now, the Palm VM (and the address book) is the only program which allows seamless synchronization between my desktop outlook and the Nokia. Yes, I can't really do much with the addresses at this point (other than look them up), but it at least works. (I've monitored the threads about syncing GPE with Outlook, and it ain't easy!

spirytsick
2008-01-08, 19:35
Believe it or not, no matter how kludgy it is right now, the Palm VM (and the address book) is the only program which allows seamless synchronization between my desktop outlook and the Nokia. Yes, I can't really do much with the addresses at this point (other than look them up), but it at least works. (I've monitored the threads about syncing GPE with Outlook, and it ain't easy!

I know that it is a long shot but what I do is to synchronise Outlook with Schedule World via Funambol plugin (free of charge). Then Synchronise Schedule world with Google Calendar and then sychronise google calendar through erminig to gpe calendar. It works although it is not the best of the solutions.

sjgadsby
2008-01-08, 19:42
...Palm VM (and the address book) is the only program which allows seamless synchronization between my desktop outlook and the Nokia.

When you synchronize, are your desktop and your N800 in the same subnet? I'm still trying to determine why GVM can't see my desktop for HotSyncing.

TA-t3
2008-01-08, 19:59
I have some vague recollections about issues with subnets and sync for Palm.. but I'm not certain. Over at Brighthand people should know I guess. Have you ever tried the same thing with a real Palm?

sjgadsby
2008-01-08, 20:10
Have you ever tried the same thing with a real Palm?

Why, that would be an excellent, logical place to start. If you need me, I'll be in the corner kicking myself. Repeatedly. Thank you.

EDIT: Now I remember why I didn't try network HotSyncing from my T5 earlier: I gave away my WiFi SDIO card after getting my N800. Hrm.

Traecer
2008-01-08, 22:43
I'd be happy if someone talked me out of this, but my impression is that the POS on the N800/N810 is worthless unless you already own a bunch of Palm software. The thousands of available programs that Garnet hyped when it announced the platform prove to be obsolete, expensive, or nonexistent, even if you could figure out which versions run under this VM. It's really cool that I can launch this alternate platform on my Nokia tablet, but as a productive/fun tool -- zilch. A vaporware come-on and a stone-cold dead end, at least so far.

Please tell me I'm wrong - I hope I am.:confused:

OK, look everybody: the Garnet VM is NOT a product. It's a cool piece of tech, and if you find it useful for something that's great. But all it is the Garnet (don't say "Palm OS!") compatibility layer from ACCESS's already failed mobile Linux OS. Both Palm and ACCESS have failed to create compelling Linux platforms, and they're toast. For ACCESS's part, they apparently thought they'd strip out Garnet and get it running on Maemo as a technology demonstration (Maemo has most of the underlying libraries already). Maybe they thought someone would find a use for it they hadn't thought of, I don't know. But you're right: there's no there there, because this thing's original reason for being (transition Palm users and their apps to a new seamlessly integrated OS) has gone away.

On the nonfunctional apps front, I can shed some nonspecific light on that too: Garnet VM pretends to be Palm OS 5.5, a version that never existed before on a device. Every version of Palm OS has tweaks and weirdnesses that breaks some things, even new devices that supposedly have the same OS version. Doubtless that's what has happened here; many apps will have to be tweaked to run on the new OS, and most of the Palm app developers have ceased to care.

TA-t3
2008-01-09, 12:19
EDIT: Now I remember why I didn't try network HotSyncing from my T5 earlier: I gave away my WiFi SDIO card after getting my N800. Hrm.
And my WiFi SDIO card broke (and was never returned when sent in for warranty repair), so I can't try this myself either. But I would suggest asking around on Brighthand - I'm certain people there will know (I could ask for you if you don't have or don't want an account over there).

sjgadsby
2008-01-09, 13:58
And my WiFi SDIO card broke (and was never returned when sent in for warranty repair), so I can't try this myself either.

Well, that's some great service for you. Were I in your position, I'd be furious with Palm.

I actually gave my WiFi SDIO card away to another T5 user who had his just stop working one day. I'm now beginning to wonder how common that problem is. Anyway, I may be able to borrow the card back at some point.

But I would suggest asking around on Brighthand - I'm certain people there will know (I could ask for you if you don't have or don't want an account over there).

I do have an account there, and I will ask. Doing so will likely have to wait until at least next week though, as only see my office for fleeting moments right now. It's my busy time for running training sessions.

Thank you for your assistance and especially for your offer to post questions elsewhere on my behalf. I won't need you to do that, but I greatly appreciate the offer. You really go out of your way to help people, and you deserve praise for that. Thanks!

kady
2008-01-12, 06:48
<rant>Even though I loathe that this is one of these numerous whiny posts that go something like, "I think this sucks, and it will waste my time, but sell me on it anyway," I will put in my two cents.

I have a mac. I am syncing over the wireless connection with missing sync. The calendar works just great.

You just figure it out. I am not the most experienced techie type person, but I try things out and see if they work. Over the 8 years that I have owned various Palms, Palm phones, Handspring and Tapwave products, I just would try stuff. I would look at the freeware sites and if it sounded interesting, I would try it out. If it didn't work, I'd take it off. I always kept a back up.

I thought that this was at the beauty of the Nseries. You have an open platform with many dedicated to making free software, as well as seemingly endless possibilities.

You have to try things and learn. Not everything is going to be spoon fed to you. I would have have been thrilled to have one of these when I was younger. I would have figured out how to program by now. Such as it is, I am not afraid to try new things without having someone hold my hand or asking people to convince me. Just try it. sheesh.

What galls me even worse is that I'm a "Girl!"</rant>:mad:

ArgentSilver
2008-01-13, 15:04
kady: Excellent rant! I am applauding, cheering you on and whistling from the sidelines! :D