PDA

View Full Version : Connect to wired ethernet lan

aissen
2006-02-21, 09:52
Hi,

I want to connect my Nokia 770 to a ethernet switch. I see that there is some usb ethernet adapter compatible with Nokia 770, but I don't have additional usb hub to power this device. There are some usb ethernet adapter that works with nokia 770 without additional power supply??

How can I connect my Nokia 770 to a wired ethernet lan?

Thx,

aissen

uNtouched
2006-02-21, 13:20
As far as I know, you need to have the 'power injector'...

chrwei
2006-02-21, 14:18
the 770's usb port does not provide power, and in fact requires soemthing to power it as it's really only built to be a client. it's host abilities are a nice feature of the chipset but the unit isn't constructed to be a host.

something to power the usb device is required when using the 770 in host mode.

msaunby
2006-02-21, 15:19
How can I connect my Nokia 770 to a wired ethernet lan?

aissen

You've not made it clear it the connection must be wired, or whether a wireless link to the lan would be accecptable. Is there a particular reason for using a wired connection?

A wireless access point added to the lan would be the easiest solution, and probably the cheapest. Most folks would use wi-fi, but there are bluetooth access points too, e.g. http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=110528
Though whether this would work, and why it might be favoured over wi-fi for 770 use Ii don't know.

chrwei
2006-02-21, 15:39
it's also possibly to connect to a PC via usb ethernet (a driver that links the pc and handheld with a usb cable as though it's ethernet) and have the pc share

Chainsaw76
2006-02-21, 16:36
it's also possibly to connect to a PC via usb ethernet (a driver that links the pc and handheld with a usb cable as though it's ethernet) and have the pc share

Do you have a link to instructions/driver?

-Jason

chrwei
2006-02-21, 17:39
the great maemo howto's :)
http://maemo.org/maemowiki/HowTo
check in the networking section, technicaly this should work on a windows pc too via http://handhelds.org/moin/moin.cgi/WindowsXpUsbNetworkHowTo

adl99
2006-02-21, 18:46
Presumably you're not up for soldering a hub to provide power, but the Linksys USB200M (http://www1.linksys.com/products/product.asp?prid=497&scid=30) is pretty compact.

I'm planning on building myself a dock (mini-usb, power via splicing a Nokia CA-44(?) cable into a 5V supply) and modding a usb hub to provide power from the hub. I'm going to be plugging one of these adapters into that hub, amongst other things.

BTW, I've only had my 770 for a short time, is the power thing an artifact of the USB client mode? Does the host mode (when enabled) not require it? I'm not after the power, though, just saving solder.

Ooh, also, does anyone know where I can get a spare silver cover for the 770? Does anyone have a broken unit that they no longer want? TIA

chrwei
2006-02-21, 19:04
for a device to be a true dual mode client/host it would need to be able to turn off the power when in client mode and back on when in host mode. then you run the risk of plugging in as a client when in host mode and sending voltage to your pc usb port and likely blowing something up along the way.

the safe way would be to have a special connector and a different cable for host and client and have the pins wired different so power can't get send when using the client cable, but now you got a special cable and no one really wants that.

adl99
2006-02-21, 19:13
I'm not saying the 770 should supply power, just whether or not it needs a TTL level (or however it recognises it) when in host mode. I'm going to have mine in host all the time anyway.

fpp
2006-02-21, 19:43
for a device to be a true dual mode client/host it would need to be able to turn off the power when in client mode and back on when in host mode. then you run the risk of plugging in as a client when in host mode and sending voltage to your pc usb port and likely blowing something up along the way.
the safe way would be to have a special connector and a different cable for host and client and have the pins wired different so power can't get send when using the client cable, but now you got a special cable and no one really wants that.
That's how iRiver did it on their H3xx mp3 jukeboxes. Losing that host cable adapter must be a nightmare.

djs_tx
2006-02-21, 21:34
The USB chipset in the 770 has no internal power at all. So to regardless of whether you are in host or client mode, you have to provide power into the 770.

The easy way I did was to take a 4 port powered hub and steal power from one of the output ports and feed it back into the 770 in host mode. Very easy. I've got a page on the maemo wiki howto but no schematic yet.

David

aissen
2006-02-22, 08:22
You've not made it clear it the connection must be wired, or whether a wireless link to the lan would be accecptable. Is there a particular reason for using a wired connection?

Yes. In my work I have to test lans networks (pings, nmaps, tcpdump, etc ..). Now I go with my laptop to do this tests. If I could plug an ethernet port to my nokia 770 I could do this tests with nokia.

adl99
2006-02-22, 12:59
I had a quick nosey at portable stuff - did a quick google for usb battery-powered hubs. I found the [ CP-H420MP ] (http://www.cyberpowersystems.com/CPH420MP.asp) by Cyberpower. 4xAAA batteries. Another quick google puts it at [ about $20 ] (http://dealtime.net/xPC-Cybernet_Systems_Battery_Powered_4_Port_USB_2_0_Hu b_CP_H420MP) [ from Amazon.com ] (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002UQALQ/ref=nosim/103-2978318-1935856?n=172282) . While I imagine you'd still have to solder the 5V rail to the input 5V rail, you've got batteries built in and won't have to make your own one a la [ hackaday.com ] (http://www.hackaday.com/entry/1234000270029372/).

I think, either way, you'll have to do a little soldering. Perhaps you can persuade someone at your local Radio Shack to do it. I know Maplin stores in the UK generally have little guys with soldering irons. Bat your eyelids & they'll probably do it for nothing! Assuming of course you haven't access to an iron yourself...

djs_tx
2006-02-22, 14:11
There's an easy choice... I thought I invented the idea but I found older web pages with similar instructions. Basically if you are willing to give up one of the output ports on your hub you can just make a simple 3 headed cable that steals 5V from one of the outputs and feeds it to the 770 and the hub input.

David

adl99
2006-02-22, 14:56
...make a simple 3 headed cable that steals 5V from one of the outputs and feeds it to the 770 and the hub input.

You can get some great 90-degree USB plugs from [ Farnell ] (http://www.farnell.co.uk) and presumably other such places (maplin / radio shack / etc.) whuch might make the cable solution a little more compact & I guess you can simply do this with leccy tape (& heat shrink if you're feeling tidy). If you're soldering though, whipping upen the hub and putting a small wire on would surely be just as easy, plus you don't lose an O/P port.

What can I say, I'm a neat freak! :rolleyes:

Alex.

Edit: Sorry David, re-reading it, my post sounds a little like one-upmanship, not meant to be!

djs_tx
2006-02-22, 15:19
Nah, it's just a function of philosophy I guess. Your solution is "neater" but it modifies a hub permanently. You can only use that hub with the 770 at that point and have to carry the hub with you.

My solution is messier but the hub can still be used with standard USB hosts. And my cable can be carried with you and used with any powered hub anywhere with no modifications.

And my goal when I can find the connector is to make it a 4 headed cable and add a 770 charger head to the mix. Then you basically have a "cradle cable" to go.

David

djs_tx
2006-02-22, 15:22
Yes. In my work I have to test lans networks (pings, nmaps, tcpdump, etc ..). Now I go with my laptop to do this tests. If I could plug an ethernet port to my nokia 770 I could do this tests with nokia.

I guess the point is this: There is no solution I am aware of that would let you add a standard wired ethernet connection without some kind of external powerpack. Even if you got a USB based NIC, it would still require power because the 770 does not supply USB host power.

So since your only choice involves external power anyway, why not buy a simple wifi access point? plug the wifi access point into your network and then access the system with your 770.

Or you could probably do the same thing with a bluetooth point as well.

David

adl99
2006-02-22, 15:34
Had I actually thought about that from a 'bigger' point of view, I would have realised, silly bugger that I am!

chrwei
2006-02-22, 16:08
for testing ethernet you could simplify the battery powered injector by using a 5v power brick and just have a usb cable with a power plug on it. Since you want wired access, there's likely to be a A/C plug nearby.

but yeah, either way you are going to have to MAKE something.

aissen
2006-02-22, 19:08
So since your only choice involves external power anyway, why not buy a simple wifi access point? plug the wifi access point into your network and then access the system with your 770.

Or you could probably do the same thing with a bluetooth point as well.

David

Yes , this is a solution. The only problem of this is the size of the access points and the dependency of the access point transformer.

Someone knows some small access point (wifi or bluetooth) that works with battery??

.-aissen

msaunby
2006-02-22, 20:24
Sorry but I doubt it will do you any good if your work really does require you to do tests on networks.

Try it, and I'll bet you find the stats you collect through an access point will tell you very little about the wired network you are testing.

chrwei
2006-02-22, 20:27
maybe what you really want is a Fluke Linkrunner or somethign similar :)

aissen
2006-02-23, 07:42
maybe what you really want is a Fluke Linkrunner or somethign similar :)

NO, I can't do a tcpdump or nmap with fluke.