PDA

View Full Version : Getting man pages on Nokia770

ilblog
2006-02-22, 21:54
Hi

Thanks to this forum I have extended my filesystem. Right now I have started to miss linux man pages. Does anyone know how to install man pages on n770?

Wooky
2006-02-23, 12:02
Hi

Thanks to this forum I have extended my filesystem. Right now I have started to miss linux man pages. Does anyone know how to install man pages on n770?
I am not quite sure the N770 includes man program itself, in case it doesn't you may have to compile it. As for the man pages, I guess you can just copy them from a full-fledged linux sys. Either that or include them into the .deb packages.

::EDIT::. I stopped being lazy and checked. No man in the N770 (week 45 firmware, still haven't flashed mine).

msaunby
2006-02-23, 14:36
Most of the Linux commands on the 770 are provided by busybox, so why not just take a copy of http://www.busybox.net/downloads/BusyBox.html
?

llywrch
2006-02-24, 19:17
While a number of the commands are from Busybox, Nokia has modified them -- & added a few of their own. Any collection of man pages would require a bit of work to assemble from numerous sources -- although the place I would start would be the Debian ARM project.

A big help would be if the 3rd party ports (e.g. xterm, bash, etc.) also included man pages in their packages. After all, they know their software better than anyone else.

Hmm. An overlooked project that doesn't require advanced programming experience. And documentation is always an unmet need. Anyone interested?

Geoff