PDA

View Full Version : Accessing SD cards

Mechdude
2008-01-09, 05:03
I'm sure this is a simple answer, however search hasn't turned up a responce.

So, how do you access the SD cards (N800 OS2008) from a PC (XP SP2)

The PC recognises it as a usb device but it dosn't desplay it as a drive in "My computer" as it would a thumb drive.

I tried installing the Nokia update software, (thinking it might have something hidden within) to no avail.

Is this my PC playing up or am I missing something?

Thanks
Howard

Traecer
2008-01-09, 05:28
Actually, when you connect the device to a PC (or Mac) via USB, the desktop is supposed to automatically mount both card slots as removable drives. You may have a driver problem on your PC.

TA-t3
2008-01-09, 13:14
The problem is usually that some application has a file open on the SD card. When the N800 makes the card(s) visible to the PC it will first unmount them (making them invisible to the N800), so that there's only one computer which has access to the cards: The N800 _or_ the PC. But it won't be able to unmount the card if there's a file open on the card.

It's the same if you have virtual memory extension enabled on the internal card: The N800 won't be able to unmount it, thus also unable to make it visible to the PC.

akd
2008-01-09, 13:36
I don't know if anybody else noted that, but when you open a file located on remote PC thru file manager (specifically a picture) it enters in a endless loading loop.

superstar
2008-01-15, 21:02
The problem is usually that some application has a file open on the SD card. When the N800 makes the card(s) visible to the PC it will first unmount them (making them invisible to the N800), so that there's only one computer which has access to the cards: The N800 _or_ the PC. But it won't be able to unmount the card if there's a file open on the card.

It's the same if you have virtual memory extension enabled on the internal card: The N800 won't be able to unmount it, thus also unable to make it visible to the PC.

I'm having a similar problem, I cannot view my internal card but can see the external card. I was able to do so before.
It was working fine prior deleting from the N800 a video file.
I unchecked the Virtual Memory from the internal card, rebooted the N800. How can I clear the cache if something is still holding the deleted file?

jmayson
2008-01-15, 22:44
You're not missing anything. I was a little confused myself. I have learned...

The flash part of memory (the /home directory and such) is not accessible via USB.

The two memory cards are (remember the N810 has 2 GB built-in).

I did find where I couldn't "see" my memory cards on my PC/Mac and via the built-in file manager simultaneously. I see there's at least some sort of explanation for this.

superstar
2008-01-15, 23:15
I did the following:
1. Reflash the OS back to the default using the NITSUW.
2. Reformat both the internal and external card.
3. Reboot the N800.
4. Run Regcleaner (cleaned the registry on the pc).
5. Rebooted the pc

There is no VM set to the internal card.
If I connect the USB cable it only sees the external card but not the internal, anyone have any ideas or procedures that I should do to be able to view the internal card?

Also tried to make sure that the internal card metal latch is securely in place, as per this post (http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=102653&postcount=4)

*Edited for clarification

jcherepy
2008-01-16, 02:08
On my N800 with 2007OS I could see both SD cards with Windows Explorer. With 2008 OS installed I can't see either one. Reflashed back to 2007OS and there they are. Because of this and a few other minor annoyances I've decided to keep running 2007OS until 2008OS has the bugs worked out.

superstar
2008-01-16, 06:25
On my N800 with 2007OS I could see both SD cards with Windows Explorer. With 2008 OS installed I can't see either one. Reflashed back to 2007OS and there they are. Because of this and a few other minor annoyances I've decided to keep running 2007OS until 2008OS has the bugs worked out.

I hate to say this but I think it's OS (Windows) problem; I have 2 other pcs running XP with the latest SPs and both can see both cards (internal and external), I'm gonna try to find the point of failure, will start with all the USB ports first and if all do not recognize it then will reinstall the USB drivers, anyone have Nokia's IT USB driver's download link? It seems that Nokia's website makes you download the NITUW for the drivers and I already tried that...

* Found this fix from M$ (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925196) - Not a problem with the N800