PDA

View Full Version : Google Earth Install

lemmy
2008-01-09, 18:21
I've downloaded the GoogleEarth binary for Linux and it is in the MyDocs folder on the N810 and will show on 'ls'.

When I enter 'sh GoogleEarthLinux.bin' at the xterm prompt (is it called the prompt in Linux) or command line, I get:

Error in checksums: is different from 949658698

If I try to install through Application Manager, I get 'file corrupted'. I have downloaded the Linux bin file twice via Windows and on the IT so it is most unlikely that it is a corrupt file therefore.

Does anyone have any ideas, please?

tz1
2008-01-09, 18:29
"Linux Binaries" are normally for PCs, i.e. Intel, AMD, or other x86 series processors.

The Nokia has an ARM processor, so GE would have to be recompiled at a minimum, and probably wouldn't work since the processor and video is much slower (mainly to save power)

Mara
2008-01-09, 18:30
I'm making a "wild" guess that the binary you downloaded is for x86-processor... N8x0 uses ARM-processor and would need different version.

And if I'm not mistaken Google Earth REQUIRES 3D acceleration that N8x0 do not have. (Or, more precisely, it has but there is no support in the OS for 3D acceleration.)

Sorry to bring you bad news... :rolleyes:

EDIT: tz1 beat me into it... :)

gompers
2008-01-09, 18:58
Yeah google earth won't be running on your IT anytime soon.

It'd be pretty cool if it did, but the IT doesn't have the graphics capability to run anything approaching GE, and as has been mentioned above, the ARM processor on the IT isn't binary compatible with the x86 processors that GE Linux is built for.

View your IT running Linux sort of like a Windows Mobile device. You can't just install Windows applications on it. They have to be built specifically for Windows Mobile.

The one big advantage to Linux in that regard, is that it's much easier to port applications from "real" linux to "IT" linux.

barry99705
2008-01-09, 22:16
Yeah google earth won't be running on your IT anytime soon.

It'd be pretty cool if it did, but the IT doesn't have the graphics capability to run anything approaching GE, and as has been mentioned above, the ARM processor on the IT isn't binary compatible with the x86 processors that GE Linux is built for.

View your IT running Linux sort of like a Windows Mobile device. You can't just install Windows applications on it. They have to be built specifically for Windows Mobile.

The one big advantage to Linux in that regard, is that it's much easier to port applications from "real" linux to "IT" linux.

So you're saying that the linux I run on my old mac isn't "real" linux because it's not an X86 based processor?

Hedgecore
2008-01-09, 23:04
I'm saying it's not because it's Unix. :)

free
2008-01-10, 11:29
When software makers give the source, it's possible to have a try.
In the case of googlemaps, it's closed and you are at the mercy of the software maker.

lemmy
2008-01-11, 23:55
Google Earth ran really well on my Palm TX so I thought it might on the 810.
I'm learning a new respect for the Palm people:D

borghal
2008-01-12, 00:03
Google Earth ran really well on my Palm TX so I thought it might on the 810.
I'm learning a new respect for the Palm people:D

Wasn't that Google Maps? I've got a T|5 and never saw Google Earth on it. Where'd you get it?

lemmy
2008-01-12, 01:12
Apologies. You're right. I always used the sat pictures rather than the maps and got confused. I'm often confused, actually.

barry99705
2008-01-12, 03:19
I'm saying it's not because it's Unix. :)

Ubuntu is Unix??!! :eek:

:D

callanish
2008-01-12, 03:24
I use Flashearth with my Nokia N810. It works; it can just run out of memory with all those picture maps.

http://www.flashearth.com/

update - they seem to have a few issues on this site at the moment, although normally it has worked perfectly in the past....... a.k.a yesterday

TA-t3
2008-01-14, 13:43
Apologies. You're right. I always used the sat pictures rather than the maps and got confused. I'm often confused, actually.
If you just want to look at sat pictures (or maps too, as it were), just install Maemo Mapper.

lemmy
2008-01-14, 14:04
just install Maemo Mapper.

Thanks, I will