PDA

View Full Version : How do I upgrade a Foreign n800?

skatrman010
2008-01-09, 21:03
The patient people on the nokia customer service line told me my device is from a different country, which could be why my update attempts have failed for about eight months. How can I upgrade my foreign n800? I know it's either German or Korean. Can somebody send me a link to a Korean or German OS or Update Wizard? Or any other suggestions?

Arjun
2008-01-09, 21:20
I would believe that when you first type ' www.nokia.com ' it gives you the choice to maneuver to the various Nokia websites around the world and in different countries.

Maybe selecting the country of your choice will bring you to that country's Nokia website allowing you to download the Nokia OS image that you need.

Good Luck ! !

Mara
2008-01-09, 21:29
There should be only one version of the software that fits all N800's. (There are no country specific hardware versions of N800.)

In your other thread was a suggestion to see if the file corruption is caused by the PC computer? This can be ruled out by trying to update the N800 in another computer.

By the way, what version of Nokia Internet Tablet Software Update Wizard are you using?

skatrman010
2008-01-09, 21:43
11.50.0.42618 It's the latest one. And I've tried to use other computers in the past, i guess i can try again with the latest updater. Could it be that the WLAN code is from another country, so the US software wont work for it?

Mara
2008-01-09, 22:10
11.50.0.42618 It's the latest one. And I've tried to use other computers in the past, i guess i can try again with the latest updater. Could it be that the WLAN code is from another country, so the US software wont work for it?

Is that the Nokia Internet Tablet Software Update Wizard program version? When I check mine (From windows Control panel / Add or Remove Programs, and click Support Information mine says 1.2.2...)

If I click Nokia Software Updater version I get 01.04.014.30155.

By any chance aren't you trying to use mobile phone updater, not the Internet Tablet updater?

The correct update tool for N800 can be found here (http://nds1.nokia.com/files/support/global/phones/software/Nokia_Internet_Tablet_Software_Update_Wizard.exe).

namtastic
2008-01-09, 22:24
Is that the Nokia Internet Tablet Software Update Wizard program version? When I check mine (From windows Control panel / Add or Remove Programs, and click Support Information mine says 1.2.2...)

If I click Nokia Software Updater version I get 01.04.014.30155.

By any chance aren't you trying to use mobile phone updater, not the Internet Tablet updater?

The correct update tool for N800 can be found here (http://nds1.nokia.com/files/support/global/phones/software/Nokia_Internet_Tablet_Software_Update_Wizard.exe).

Yep, Mine says "1.2.2.0" as well.

I just did a search for "11.50.0.42618", and did some poking around -- sure enough, that is the version number for the Wizard's SETUP.EXE, not the actual Wizard application itself.

skatrman010
2008-01-10, 01:35
Yea sorry about that i just posted the wrong numbers. I have the latest updater. Just incase i uninstalled and reinstalled the one linked in this thread and i'm trying it right now. Hold on, it's got a few seconds left. File corrupted. I'll try it manually.

"The software on your nokia n800 was not updated, because the update file is not supported by your device."

What now?

skatrman010
2008-01-10, 01:42
I just did a little research and the WLAN number contains a country code, so the problem is probably that my computer sees a korean n800 and wont upload the os onto it. Is there something I could do about that?

Mara
2008-01-10, 01:47
I just did a little research and the WLAN number contains a country code, so the problem is probably that my computer sees a korean n800 and wont upload the os onto it. Is there something I could do about that?

It almost look like you need to resort to Linux flasher... (Users of Linux: Does linux flasher care what image you try to flash on N800?)

If you do not have linux machine nearby, you can download some live linux image and burn on CD, and boot PC from it. Then you can run the Linux flasher utility.

Somebody else here in the forum can give you more step by step instructions... I'm not expert on this.

Mara
2008-01-10, 01:50
Yea sorry about that i just posted the wrong numbers. I have the latest updater. Just incase i uninstalled and reinstalled the one linked in this thread and i'm trying it right now. Hold on, it's got a few seconds left. File corrupted. I'll try it manually.

"The software on your nokia n800 was not updated, because the update file is not supported by your device."

What now?

If you run the wizard and let it find the "correct" update for you, does it find anything?

(Usually it detects your device, and then searches from Nokia servers available updates, and show what is available... Does it not tell you anything?)

Milhouse
2008-01-10, 04:24

What now?

It might be worth checking this (http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=119477&postcount=17) thread - don't know the cause, but it appears you may be able to flash your device using the Linux flasher. If you don't have access to Linux, try downloading and booting from a LiveCD distribution (eg. http://damnsmalllinux.org).

Download the N800 firmware from here (http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/nokia_N800.php) (enter your WLAN MAC at the prompt).

skatrman010
2008-01-10, 15:10
Yes it shows me 2008SE_2.2007.50-2 (latest) and it tells me I have the 2007SE_2.2006.51-6.

skatrman010
2008-01-10, 15:30
I'll try that linux idea. But I'm not sure how this booting from cd thing works. I know how to do it, but when it boots what programs will i have access to? Will I have internet explorer to find this forum? Il try as soon as you respond, and when I get back from class.

nhanquy
2008-01-19, 07:10
I'll try that linux idea. But I'm not sure how this booting from cd thing works. I know how to do it, but when it boots what programs will i have access to? Will I have internet explorer to find this forum? Il try as soon as you respond, and when I get back from class.

You won't have IE but you will have Firefox! Try Firefox on Windows too!