PDA

View Full Version : WSOD - Who has had one?

johnpad
2008-01-11, 08:56
Quick poll to guage how many people here have had a WSOD. I have, but was lucky enough to have mine repaired under warranty. New one is now only 6 weeks old, but seems to be going strong.

Bundyo
2008-01-11, 09:15
I had a self-made WSOD. Don't know if that count :)

I replaced by mistake some of the hildon libs which led to booting in white (but the device still ran and you can even do some things provided that you knew where and when to tap. :)
Fixed it by booting from the internal memory and restoring the replaced libs (i knew which they were :)

GeneralAntilles
2008-01-11, 09:21
Nope, not on my 2005 770 nor on my summer 2007 770.

daverup
2008-01-11, 09:41
I had a self-made WSOD. Don't know if that count :)

I replaced by mistake some of the hildon libs which led to booting in white (but the device still ran and you can even do some things provided that you knew where and when to tap. :)
Fixed it by booting from the internal memory and restoring the replaced libs (i knew which they were :)

This is not WSOD, you cannot fix WSOD without hardware repair.
I had WSOD 3 times.
To know Nokia hardware repair, is to hate Nokia hardware repair.

Fionn
2008-01-11, 16:24
Yes, I definitely have had a WSOD (http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8658) :(.
My current 770 has been going strong for the last 5 months though :).

wavefinder
2008-01-17, 03:11
yep! i had one. had it replaced, but am a bit dubious if its a " brand new replacement".

racky
2008-01-17, 03:31
I had one, and got my replacement yesterday from Nokia, brand new. Now I am putting the new OS2007HE on it and dual boot 2006os on MMS( I am glad I did have my 2006os on mms before, so I haven't lost my software and data), and using my old hard case as my car mount. I am happy with it so far.

violent ken
2008-01-17, 14:40
never had a wsod yet, but last night i had the first 'crash'. listening to internet radio in media player and browsing, the headphones made a loud click then the n800 reset itself

Drewvt
2008-01-17, 17:48
Woah, seems most people on here have had one. That really is a baaad statistic...

I brought my WSOD on myself, it happened when I took out the battery to reboot from a crash. But it definitely was a genuine WSOD.

nosam
2008-01-17, 18:32
Woah, seems most people on here have had one. That really is a baaad statistic...

Hi, I think actually most people on ITT have never had a WSOD. I am a 770 user, never had a problem. I don't know if there are any good statistics out these, but if the thousands of NIT users out there got the WSOD regularly, I think we would be flooded with posts on it. I only see (20? or 30?) people posting that they have had one
(and sorry to hear it).

Drewvt
2008-01-17, 19:55
Hi, I think actually most people on ITT have never had a WSOD. I am a 770 user, never had a problem. I don't know if there are any good statistics out these, but if the thousands of NIT users out there got the WSOD regularly, I think we would be flooded with posts on it. I only see (20? or 30?) people posting that they have had one
(and sorry to hear it).

I think the average user is more likely to call his store or Nokia ASAP, rather than do any browsing to this particular site (also, bear in mind that a great number dont speak English; it's a Europe-based company.). But you're right, we don't know anything for certain about the real incidence of wsod.

bokubob
2008-01-18, 16:25
I came here to vote that I didn't have one, but the poll seems to have stopped with pretty low statistics.

Anyway, the population sampled by this poll is certainly not that of all 770 owners.

bac522
2008-01-18, 20:02
I had 2 within 2 weeks of each other, fortunately a year later my 3rd is okay. If it didn't have the need of a linux based tablet I would have told Nokia to shove it!

jjstewart
2008-02-03, 18:43
just got my second WSOD in a little less than a year. When I sent my first one in for repair, I said that they need to send one that had the WSOD bug fixed, or to send me a n800 (wishful thinking). Obviously, I'm beginning to believe that all of them are susceptible to the failure. Both of mine happened after a shutdown/restart. I'm going to ask for a refund or n800. I'm not going to settle for anything less. This is unacceptable...especially for a brand like Nokia.

jer006
2008-02-03, 19:21
I had one, happened after a couple of months... Was under warranty and Nokia replaced it for me!

johnpad
2008-02-04, 04:21
I can't find a way to re-open the poll now it is closed.
I am pleased that most comments have been positive. I guess a few of us have just been unlucky. It is a pity that Nokia could not find a way to identify the affected machines so they could be recalled, although I guess it may have been a quality control issue. Perhaps we will never know.
In the mean time my (2nd) 770 is running strong and is still a very viable little computing platform.

All the best -John

bac522
2008-02-04, 12:19
It is a pity that Nokia could not find a way to identify the affected machines so they could be recalled, although I guess it may have been a quality control issue.

LOL, don't believe that for one minute, they didn't have a recall because they didn't want to waste the money. Early and very late built units seem to not have the problem which means its most likely a bad batch of LCD driver chips they got during mid production. Since this would require a PCB replacement to recall and fix the units would eat away at whatever profit margins Nokia got on 770, which is nothing compared to profits they make in sell cell phones. imagine if the same problem happen with their cell phones do you think Nokia would have done nothing? Nokia is not a consumer friendly company and the last thing Nokia is about to do is be...welll...consumer friendly.

jjstewart
2008-03-03, 17:42
Just a quick update. I'm now a N800 owner. I sent in my 770 for repair and it was replaced with a n800 sales pack. Cool thing is I now have two chargers and two BP-5L batteries. From what I've been told, they are out of 770s at the USA repair facility and are now upgrading to n800s for the WSOD problem. If your 770 has a WSOD and is still under waranty...send it in!!!

egs
2008-03-06, 02:32
jjstewart, I hope you are right! My N770 just WSOD'ed last week and and I sent it in to the AL facility. The Nokia repair status just says "Repair in Progress" so far.

I sure wouldn't mind a free upgrade to an N800.

jjstewart
2008-03-12, 02:11
I called after a week of waiting for "Awaiting Replacement Device"...and that's when they informed me that they were giving me a n800 (they also said they just did the same for a guy that called right before me). "Repair in Progress" might be a bad sign. I would call their 1-800 # and have them give you an update.

egs
2008-03-12, 03:05
jjstewart:

My latest status is: 03/05/2008 Awaiting Parts

What phone number did you call? The one I just dug up on the Palco website is: 800-634-0958 .

Thanks.

egs
2008-03-12, 14:28
I called Palco and they directed me to the main Nokia number (888-665-4228).

Nokia was absolutely zero help. All they could tell me is Nokia 770 is being repaired (I could see that from the web page). I asked the CSR and their supervisor about the fact that Nokia 800s are being sent out as a replacement for the Nokia 770 and they said they are not. That is not their policy and never was. So, when/if I do get my 770 back, I truly hope they fixed the issue or I'm not going to be a happy camper when it dies again after the warranty runs out.

If someone has contact information for a helpful Nokia CSR I can contact that has a different story, please private message me with the info. Thanks.

platon
2008-03-12, 16:40
I had one on my n770 and Nokia Canada wouldn't take it back. They said it was an US version. Luckily after prodding the Canadian retail seller did and I eventually replaced it with an n800. I wonder which n800's sold in Canada have Canadian warranties.

bimmerdriver
2008-03-12, 17:00
Nokia has had my 770 since Feb 19th. I had emailed once and got a boilerplate reponse of still waiting for parts. After seeing some people on this thread had received N800, I called yesterday afternoon. After a while I was transferred to "Executive Resolution" and they faxed me a form to sign to receive an exchange on 770 for N800. Didn't have to yell but stressed that it had been there a rather long time without any progress.

Hope it goes as well for any others with WSOD!!

XTC
2008-03-27, 01:28
I've just had mine :(
Started debian sid from mmc - got "mouse locked" in xpdf menu and removed battery - that's it :(

egs
2008-03-27, 02:15
XTC, sorry to hear you hit the WSOD issue. There is no fix so get an RMA if you're under warranty and send that 770 in.

I'm still waiting on mine (3+ weeks now). Although the web site still says "Waiting for parts", when I call them on the phone, they said they are actually now waiting on a 'replacement' for my 770. They couldn't tell me if it was a 770 or 800 (or 810, which I doubt), but hopefully I'll know soon. I'll touch base with them again next week.

XTC
2008-03-27, 10:43
XTC, sorry to hear you hit the WSOD issue. There is no fix so get an RMA if you're under warranty and send that 770 in.

I'm still waiting on mine (3+ weeks now). Although the web site still says "Waiting for parts", when I call them on the phone, they said they are actually now waiting on a 'replacement' for my 770. They couldn't tell me if it was a 770 or 800 (or 810, which I doubt), but hopefully I'll know soon. I'll touch base with them again next week.

Unfortunately I bought my (rip) n770 second hand - without warranty so... probably It will be my mp3 player with barely readable screen :(
Right now I'm studying schematics and chips datasheets but I don't think I succeed fixing it.
I can't find datasheet for the display itself. I'll post all my final thoughts in proper existing WSOD-solution topic.

Drewvt
2008-03-29, 13:19
I've just had mine :(
Started debian sid from mmc - got "mouse locked" in xpdf menu and removed battery - that's it :(

If I understand correctly, you got the WSOD right after you removed the battery after a crash, right? Exactly what happened to me.

I certainly sympathize, but in hindsight you should have kept in mind my earlier post, my friend.

XTC
2008-03-29, 18:22
If I understand correctly, you got the WSOD right after you removed the battery after a crash, right? Exactly what happened to me.

I certainly sympathize, but in hindsight you should have kept in mind my earlier post, my friend.

Exactly :( ...I did this few times before when my device was locked in some state - unfortunately this one was the last time. I was pretty sure that WSOD is not one of my problems - unfortunately LCD screen and driver power-on sequencing is messed up in n770 - in n800 they fixed it using one of power management chip instead relying on on/off pins of LDOs.

egs
2008-04-05, 02:25
Update on my situation... I got a call from the 'Executive Resolution Center' and they say they'll be sending me a N800 to replace my WSOD'ed N770. I faxed back the form today. It sounds like I'll have my N800 in about a week or so.

Thanks everyone for the info...

Makurosu
2008-05-01, 13:11
According to the Repair Status page, they received my 770 on 4/21. It has said "Awaiting Replacement Device" since 4/28. I emailed them just now to find out exactly what that means. My 770 doesn't have the WSOD, but the lower-right quadrant of the screen has faulty calibration to the point that it can't be recalibrated and the device is basically unusable.

I'm encouraged by reports that other users have been sent an N800 as a replacement for their 770's. Cool beans! I wonder what will happen. Either way, I hope I get a Nokia back soon. I'm starting to get the shakes from withdrawal.

cvc2k
2008-05-01, 16:16
+1 to the casualty list. Luckily I was still under warranty - so sent that in to Palco. It'll be nice if I can get a N800 back.

ebrindle
2008-05-01, 17:08
Got 2 770's and 2 n800's in my family - Never saw a WSOD on eitherof the 770's.

The first (to replace my stolen lifedrive) May 2007 - now running 2007HE
The second a christmas gift for my son in college - Dec 2007 - running 2006 - because he could get xournal running in the 2007he.

here.david
2008-05-01, 17:25
Add me to the list...last year my N770, after about 20 days did. I sent it back to OnSale and they sent me a replacement...Never any problems with the 2nd one for the past 9 months...OS2007HE...

Makurosu
2008-05-01, 18:39
I just heard back from Nokia:

"Thank you for e-mailing the Nokia Care Contact Center.

We understand your request with regards to the repair/replacement status of your Nokia 770 Internet Tablet.

Our records do indicate that your tablet cannot be repaired as you have stated. However, at the present time, your tablet will not be replaced by either the Nokia N800, or the Nokia N810 Internet Tablets, but with a Nokia 770 Internet Tablet."

Bummer. I wonder where they're going to find a 770 to send me.

egs
2008-05-01, 21:21
I just heard back from Nokia:

"Thank you for e-mailing the Nokia Care Contact Center.

We understand your request with regards to the repair/replacement status of your Nokia 770 Internet Tablet.

Our records do indicate that your tablet cannot be repaired as you have stated. However, at the present time, your tablet will not be replaced by either the Nokia N800, or the Nokia N810 Internet Tablets, but with a Nokia 770 Internet Tablet."

Bummer. I wonder where they're going to find a 770 to send me.

In short, don't believe them. ;-) They said the same to me. And they keep saying the same thing I believe until they hit that magic 1 month period. Once your device has been in their hands for 1 month, things change. In fact, the same guy I had talked to before that said no, later said I would be getting an N800. These are the people in the executive resolution center.

My advice is to keep checking back with them weekly and really show your disgust when you hit that 1 month period and keep asking for status updates. My bet is you'll get your N800 like I did.

Makurosu
2008-05-01, 23:13
In short, don't believe them. ;-) They said the same to me. And they keep saying the same thing I believe until they hit that magic 1 month period. Once your device has been in their hands for 1 month, things change. In fact, the same guy I had talked to before that said no, later said I would be getting an N800. These are the people in the executive resolution center.

My advice is to keep checking back with them weekly and really show your disgust when you hit that 1 month period and keep asking for status updates. My bet is you'll get your N800 like I did.

Thanks for the heads up. But... a month?? I hope they don't keep my device for that long. They've had it for two weeks now and starting Monday they will have been "awaiting replacement device" for a week with no movement. That's when I'm going to start putting on the pressure. I have an addiction to feed! ;)

egs
2008-05-01, 23:38
Thanks for the heads up. But... a month?? I hope they don't keep my device for that long. They've had it for two weeks now and starting Monday they will have been "awaiting replacement device" for a week with no movement. That's when I'm going to start putting on the pressure. I have an addiction to feed! ;)

I hear ya - I did the same and called at least weekly. But right around that 1 month mark is where their story changed. Suddenly, the N800 is an option. I think they just don't tell people in case some N770 pops up somewhere.

Makurosu
2008-05-16, 17:32
I hear ya - I did the same and called at least weekly. But right around that 1 month mark is where their story changed. Suddenly, the N800 is an option. I think they just don't tell people in case some N770 pops up somewhere.

Hey buddy, you were right. I asked them early on what they were going to do about replacing my 770, since they don't make it anymore, and if maybe they were going to replace it with an N800. They acted all shocked and put out that I would even suggest such a thing.

"However, at the present time, your tablet will not be replaced by either the Nokia N800, or the Nokia N810 Internet Tablets, but with a Nokia 770 Internet Tablet."

Sheesh.

Then three weeks passed at the "Awaiting Replacement Device" phase of my repair status. They did a really lame delaying tactic which I called them on, and now lo and behold they are sending me an N800. :) I'm actually kind of surprised they aren't sending an N810, because I keep hearing that the N800 is out of stock everywhere, but I'm not complaining because I prefer the N800 because of the two full-sized SD slots.

So, I'm faxing in their release form to get my N800. Yay!

egs
2008-05-16, 18:08

So, I'm faxing in their release form to get my N800. Yay!

Great news! I like my N800 better than the N770 - much faster. But, I do miss that hard case/cover that the N770 had. I made a little protective cardboard insert that I put in the old N770 pouch, then slide in the new N800 pouch near the insert. I then always insert the LCD side to the side that has the cardboard insert in the N770 pouch. That gives the LCD a little more protection. In addition, since I have the N800 pouch inside of the N770 pouch, I even have some room to put in my spare (old N770) battery along any spare SD cards. ;-) Low budget and it works.

You may still get an N810. That would be even better.

racky
2008-05-17, 20:11
Great news! I like my N800 better than the N770 - much faster. But, I do miss that hard case/cover that the N770 had. I made a little protective cardboard insert that I put in the old N770 pouch, then slide in the new N800 pouch near the insert. I then always insert the LCD side to the side that has the cardboard insert in the N770 pouch. That gives the LCD a little more protection. In addition, since I have the N800 pouch inside of the N770 pouch, I even have some room to put in my spare (old N770) battery along any spare SD cards. ;-) Low budget and it works.

You may still get an N810. That would be even better.

Did they send you a full box with everything in it? I just sent my 770 to them, UPS said it was delivered on Monday, 6 days ago, but Nokia system still says waiting for delivery. So how long have you been waiting for the N800 after they received your bad 770?
Thanks.

egs
2008-05-17, 22:59
Did they send you a full box with everything in it? I just sent my 770 to them, UPS said it was delivered on Monday, 6 days ago, but Nokia system still says waiting for delivery. So how long have you been waiting for the N800 after they received your bad 770?
Thanks.
Be sure to read the prior posts. Once they get the 770, it took about a month before they gave up repairing/replacing the 770 with a like 770 and shipped an N800 to me. Lately it sounds like the N800 is in short supply. You may luck out and get an N810! ;-) And yes, it was a complete new N800 box with all of the usual accessories included with it.

racky
2008-05-18, 00:13
Be sure to read the prior posts. Once they get the 770, it took about a month before they gave up repairing/replacing the 770 with a like 770 and shipped an N800 to me. Lately it sounds like the N800 is in short supply. You may luck out and get an N810! ;-) And yes, it was a complete new N800 box with all of the usual accessories included with it.

Thanks, I should ask how long it took you to receive the n800 after you faxed the paper back to them. But I guess it only took a few days. I don't think they will send me a N810, the worst case would be just refund me the money that I paid for my 770. By that time, all the N800 will be sold out, then I just have to buy the N810.

egs
2008-05-18, 00:34
Thanks, I should ask how long it took you to receive the n800 after you faxed the paper back to them.

I think it took a little less than 1 week.