PDA

View Full Version : Maemo Mapper, South America maps

LinuxStation
2008-01-12, 22:26
Hi folks,

I am interested in displaying maps on my Nokia N800, but it's not here yet, should be arriving next week. While I'm waiting, I have been reading these forums, and watched some YouTube videos about using maps with the N800. When my N800 arrives I will be loading OS2008.

So far, I have read about a free program called Maemo Mapper, and that I can download free maps for it from various sources such as Google. Then I can use a blue tooth GPS with the N800 to show my position in real time on the N800 display, even while I'm not connected to the Internet.

OK, so is that how it actually works??? Is Maemo Mapper the best free mapper program for the N800? Can I get maps for South America, and will they be topo, street, satellite maps, or all of the above?

brendan
2008-01-12, 22:48
use this thread:

http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5209&highlight=mapper+terrain

and you can get the maps from each of the repositories. some may have more detail than others. you may have to play around with the different ones. for the most part, maemo-mapper is the best gps solution for the NIT, free or not.

for the most part, if you can go to maps.google.com and see what your looking for, you can see it in maemo-mapper. good luck.

daniloeu
2008-01-21, 12:21
Hi!

I'm using mapper in Brazil and it's pretty cool. I'm having some problems in some locations cause google don't give-me the exactly position of some cities. So I wrote a little patch to fix this problem, and now I'm 100% happy with mapper.

http://labs.danilocesar.com/blog/2008/01/19/will-googlemaps-make-me-lost-in-sorocaba-no-maemo-mapperll-help-me/

[]'s

Danilo Cesar

jllchao
2008-01-24, 03:25
Hi,
Can somebody answer my questions and give me some help?
I was trying to see some map on my n800 (OS2008 flashed), but I just cannot see any maps on my unit. I browsed to google/map, but the right corner does not show any map, instead, it just shows the text of "Map", "Satellite", and Terrain", below the "text of "Map" I see left center, right, and down arrow buttons, ... I just don't see map at all. I also fire up the "maemo mapper", I don't see any map, I see all black screen with an arrow pointing to top (also a letter N inside the arrow, level 17, 651 km). Clicking on the top menu ("Maemo Mapper", I selected VE Street, or Google Street, and download maps; I was able see the text (under POI, when I specified zip code), but no map displayed.
Questions ar: Do I need a GPS receiver to get a real map displayed? Is it true also without the GPS receiver, I cannot even browse the map under the google web site as I can do normally on a regular PC?

It's also true I cannot see any map when I go to mapquest website. It must be some piece of software missing on my unit.

Please help!!! Thank you in advance.

Strangely enough, I was able to see the google map under the KDE (Penguinbait's master piece). I also can see map under the mapquest website. I would think I can see map under "maemo mapper", but I don't know how to bring the program up under the KDE yet.

James Chao

gnuite
2008-01-24, 20:22
Hi,
Can somebody answer my questions and give me some help?
I was trying to see some map on my n800 (OS2008 flashed), but I just cannot see any maps on my unit. I browsed to google/map, but the right corner does not show any map, instead, it just shows the text of "Map", "Satellite", and Terrain", below the "text of "Map" I see left center, right, and down arrow buttons, ... I just don't see map at all. I also fire up the "maemo mapper", I don't see any map, I see all black screen with an arrow pointing to top (also a letter N inside the arrow, level 17, 651 km). Clicking on the top menu ("Maemo Mapper", I selected VE Street, or Google Street, and download maps; I was able see the text (under POI, when I specified zip code), but no map displayed.
Questions ar: Do I need a GPS receiver to get a real map displayed? Is it true also without the GPS receiver, I cannot even browse the map under the google web site as I can do normally on a regular PC?
In Maemo Mapper, have you enabled "Auto-Download" in the "Maps" menu? If not, then you must manually download maps. If "Auto-Download" is enabled, make sure that you are connected to the internet.

You don't need a GPS receiver in order to browse maps.

jllchao
2008-01-24, 20:42
Thank you for answering one of my questions. I still don't know why I just couldn't view a map under the google map or mapquest map in Nokia N800 with the normal desktop gnome? As I mentioned in my previous post, I was able to view the map under KDE desktop environment. So there's something missing under the gnome environment.

James Chao