PDA

View Full Version : [Canola] more covers

Bonny
2008-01-13, 02:40
I installed the tuner. The only covers it will look for are the two clips that came with the OS (OS2008 on N800). All of my music is in album folders on an internal card. I have tried moving both an album folder and a clip over onto the onboard storage to see if they would be found there with the two that came with the OS, with no success. I have tried deselecting and reselecting the internal card with no success. Have read about someone who specified directing the cover search to individual folders. I cannot see any option either in the player or the tuner for this action. When I open the tuner it seems to do its work very quickly and then gives me a "done" bar.
What have I missed lads.

handful
2008-01-13, 08:47
Hi Bonny,

The tuner searches the music that is already on you canola database. So first you should make sure canola2 is showing your music on the lists. If this is not ahppening, then we will run to find the bug that causes it.

To make your music appear, leave the folders as you like... for example "music" on your memory card and go to canola, settings and press "media library". There you should select (press the little ball icon with the eye) to be "bright dark stroked" in the folders you want for each category.

So you would press the eye once, on "memory card 1" then on the folder "music" for audio, and the same (pictures and video) for the others.

After that you will get a "updating database".

go to canola, browse the items. If you find them there... then quit canola go to the tuner and try again.

Please let me know if you got it or not!

Marcelo

Bonny
2008-01-13, 18:39
In media library settings, three audio sources are listed: audio clips, removable card, and internal card. There is a dark eye over the first two which I think I have deselected. But I'm not really sure. There is a light eye against internal card I think because it has finished scanning as directed but there remains some unscanned material in there. I open the internal card and some of the album folders show light eye with stroke even though they have been scanned and appear in the song list. Also, some of the album folders that have been scanned, and have their songs appearing in the all songs list, have a dark unstroked eye. The remaining album folders that have not been scanned, and who's songs do not appear in the all songs list, have a light eye with stroke.
I close C2 and go run the tuner. It does it's work really fast, like it didn't really do anything. I close the tuner and reopen C2. I find there that there are no albums listed and no covers. (There is one cover there which the tuner did find. It is of a song that came loaded in the OS on Audio Clips folder, which tuner did find on earlier attempt to get things working when I let it look at onboard memory.) All the songs expected to be in all songs list are there, listed in numero/alphabetic order.
I do find this pretty confusing but I like the GUI, the sound is good and I look forward to moving beyond beta version.
Thanks,
Bonny

MikeL
2008-01-13, 19:11
Hi Bonny

I am slightly confused myself with Handfuls answer to you, with regard to how to correctly set up your audio watch folders.

Basically the folders you wish to watch must have an uncrossed eye. The simplest way to do this (For most users) is to ensure at the first usage, that Canola is set to scan everything from the top level down i.e. audio clips, removable card, and internal card, all have the clear eye icon (NO Line through the eye :) )

If you have a line crossed eye at the top level Folder then you are able and must select that level to delve deeper into it's sub Folder levels and have a clear eye (To scan) or a line crossed eye (To not scan) on particular Sub-Folders in line with your requirements.

Well at least this is my current understanding of how watch folders work.

In conclusion and in your case, I would go into every sub folder level and ensure eye icon is clear and then set top level to be clear also. (Switch off and hard reboot the device, by removing battery for 10 seconds, after switched off) Then re-run the Canola tuner where hopefully it will find more album covers.

---edit--- Thinking a little more about the album cover scanning, don't forget that this needs you to be connected to your Wi-Fi connection and the internet to do its job correctly. Are are running this programme to tune Canola https://garage.maemo.org/projects/canola-tuning/ ?

Bonny
2008-01-13, 23:41
Thanks MikeL. I did all that you suggest. I get all songs on the song list but no albums or covers. The only crossed eyes remaining are the ones in my head. I have not been at this long but I feel I need to suggest that a smoother way to scan songs in should be found. Even if it had worked it is too much work. And if you make a mistake and cross say the eye on the internal card as you go in and out of it scanning individual folders, then you have to start all over again.
I would still like to try to get C2 working as I still think it has the most potential of anything I have seen for this machine yet. But not today!
I the mean time I installed Kagu and it did all the work by itself and is working pretty good.
Thanks for the help.
Bonny.

handful
2008-01-14, 00:25
Hi Bonny,

Sorry that this gave you such a trouble. Unfortunately this mistake didn't appeared in our fist round of user testing. And from all the reviews / suggestions I think less than ten users complained, BUT I do care about the importance of this and this will be changed.

But of course let me explain why the scanner / cover arts / etc are not automatic.

Maybe you won't have this problem with Kagu, because it deals only with images etc.. but Canola deals with multiple media, and the automatic scanner was the most problematic part on Canola1, and a lot of users complained. So what we did was try to minimize the problem. It's fun though that it causes problems like yours and we are now in the cross road: What's is the best point to stand on.

There's no doubt that the icons / semiotic need a lot of redesign (and it will be made) like the ipod button (if states that are clearer than today).

This is the reason it's a beta and we are actually pleased to discover those eerror and being able to fix them in the next update.

Abou the cover Art: we do not download it because we are a company, and there's a lot of legai issues with that... Kagu and the others doesn need to worry about that so they can download with no problems. So there's a third party plygin (canola-tuning) that gets the covers for you but we cannot put inside canola for now.

Sorry we know it really brings the experience down, but we cannot add it.

So... concluding :

I think we will add a basic set of folders / cards in the first scan (nowdays you need to set it) and then make a wizard with the users to make sure everything is right.

For the cover arts we are supporting more formats / styles but we don't see a way of integrating it without legal problems :/

I hope you feel compeled to try it out again in the near future =)

Marcelo

davidsiegel
2008-02-02, 20:13
Marcelo, I have the same problem with Canola2 beta2 -- Canola finds all of my song files and displays them in All songs, but I only have one artist and one album in the artist and album lists respectively. I really look forward to getting this resolved so I can use your gorgeous app!

handful
2008-02-02, 20:32
Hi David : what file format areyou using/ Mp3s?

Did you tested with other players? Do they show it correctly tagged? If they do.. then we need to rush to see what's happening... if don't maybe a lib problem.. and we will also do whatever possible to fix... but... it can be one thing :
Your mp3s are not tagged at all, (like cd rippeds when you were offline etc) this can lead to a very blank media library.

If that's the case you only have 2 options:

1) manually fix your media library

2) use some tool to help ( the website has a Tips and trick music ) take a look there.. for the tagging software.

But anyways.. let us know.. the formats, and if you can send me (email handful AT gmail ) a couple of songs (max 20 mbs) that show only in the all songs... I would be more then happy to take a look and forward to the responsible...

BR

Marcelo

raulito
2008-02-02, 23:33
I have a similar problem with Mp3's and the database. Last night I noticed my player was reading the horrible tags I had on my music collection. So, today I've spent HOURS retagging every single song title, album, and artist. I've also added the pictures. Yet when I load the card into the machine and press Settings... Media Library... Refresh All.... I still get yesterday's info along with today's. I took the card out and ''refreshed" again. There is only one song on my internal card, yet Canola must retain something from the previous data. I am able to "browse through genre". I can't play anything, but all my former genre info is there. I say former because I deleated all genres on my tags today.

Is there a manual way to dump the memory retention this program has?

Thanks! .... other than this ... I love the program guys. You should be commended for your hard work. I thank you. :)

handful
2008-02-02, 23:47
Hi Raulito, yes.. you can dump it... go to xterm and do

cd ~/.canola/
rm canola.db

But refresh all was supposed to do that.. strange : / we will look again into it..

=)

BR

raulito
2008-02-03, 00:03
Thanks !!!! It's working great now.. :) You da man!

raulito
2008-02-04, 02:23
Okay... I've got another question.

As I mentioned before, I have two n800's running Canola2. I have taken the same SD card of music and put it into both n800's. One tablet sees all my album covers and the other sees almost all of them. It leaves some blank *without a cover* and uses different artwork with others.

When I had this problem of no covers in certain album folders, I thought it was en error in my encoding. So, I re-encoded the songs in question. I still had the problem. I then placed the card in the second n800 and viola-- they were there.

Should I just uninstall the Canola in the 'faulty' tablet and reinstall it?

It's not that the program doesn't see the album covers. It just doesn't see all of them. Yet, the same program on a different machine sees ALL of them.

Oh.. I do have the "C2-Album Cover and C2 Video Thumb' installed on both machines as well.

Suggestions anyone?? :)

handful
2008-02-04, 07:00
I think you can try installing the CAnola-tuning (it's responsible for the covers)
IT will probably solve it a little bit better.

Anyways, we will like always try to improve this matter..

MikeL
2008-02-04, 12:41
Oh.. I do have the "C2-Album Cover and C2 Video Thumb' installed on both machines as well.Yes my understanding is you will need Canola tuning installing on both NIT's, because the Canola Player actually looks within its own defined area for viewing of the covers which need to be kept up to date.

I would re-run the Canola Cover utility on both NIT's. (I imagine you have done this) You do have the same version of Canola Tuning on each NIT?

jer006
2008-02-06, 14:03
I found last night that the easiest way to populate all of your covers (manual unfortunately) is as follows:

Dont worry about embedding the image into your mp3 files - it works most of the time but not all...

1) Go to discogs.com/amazon.com and find your album download the coverart and resize to 300x300 and save as a jpg in the folder with your music (I have my music structured as one folder per album)

2) Run canola, build up your music database

3) Run canola tuning it will load all of your album art from the jpg's

4) run canola and navigate to the album cover art option, everything should now be populated!

I had a few albums which did not have any cover art even after embedding the art in the id3 tag of the files and running canola tuning. After I downloaded, resized and copied the art into a file called folder.jpg (dont think name matters) along with the album music canola tuning picked it up perfectly and I am now at 100% of album art populated.

Looks great too and finger scrolling works perfectly!!!

handful
2008-02-06, 14:51
HI Jer =)

actually you didn't need to resize if you're using the tuning =) just put the file there and tuning will resize for both sizes =) Of course being already 300 pixels makes it faster =)

Thanks for the tips! I hope other users benefit from it.

Anyways, we will make it easier to do that without canola tuning in the future
(at least detect like this, folder, embedded and get from file covers)

BR