PDA

View Full Version : Application Manager not working

remjax
2008-01-13, 19:45
Apparently my internal memory on my N800 is full. The application manager will not show any installed applications nor will it update.

Since I know little about Linux HOW do I go about resolving this issue?

Is there a way to compress the files or cleanup the space so the manager wiil work?

Thanks

jer006
2008-01-14, 04:19
clean up your user space using file manager - documents, images, media and movies. If you did not remove the manuals, pictures, mp3 and movie that come preinstalled with the OS then it should free up some space. Otherwise you could use xterm to get to a command line prompt if you have it installed and try freeing up some space there.

remjax
2008-01-14, 11:12
Thanks!

I was looking for the place Nokia put the images, movies, etc but couldn't find them.

Why, Oh Why ,does Linux have to have Soooo many directories!!!

TA-t3
2008-01-14, 16:16
Linux doesn't have to have any directories.. at least when it comes to your home directory. Linux doesn't need anything in particular. However, Nokia has set it up that way (with MyDocs and all its subdirectories. Hmm.. I wonder where they got that idea.. I think I've seen this 'My' prefix somewhere before... ;))

ghoonk
2008-01-14, 16:21
Thanks!

I was looking for the place Nokia put the images, movies, etc but couldn't find them.

Why, Oh Why ,does Linux have to have Soooo many directories!!!

Just do this:

Utilities -> File Manager

Tap on Document - you should see a whole bunch of user manuals in lots of languages. I deleted everything except US English and UK English

Tap on Audio Clips - delete everything you don't need

Tap on Video Clips - delete both N800 and N810 movies. I'm sure you have more impressive material to show off to your mates. I know I do ;)

That should free up quite a bit of memory. I wish there was some way to upgrade the 256MB in my N800 to the 2GB chip used on the N810.

Hope this helps

Traecer
2008-01-14, 16:52
I wish there was some way to upgrade the 256MB in my N800 to the 2GB chip used on the N810.

Hope this helps

From the specs, screenshots, and user comments I've seen it wouldn't matter; the 256MB flash that serves as the home directory is still the same size. Nokia removed the internal card slot and put a non-removable 2GB chip in its place.