PDA

View Full Version : ATP or Transcend? Which one should YOU get?

uNtouched
2006-02-28, 17:57
(Note! this is only my opinion)

Take these things into consideration.

Both:

Follow MMC 4.x standard.
Are Dual Voltage.
Carry a 5 year warranty.
Same general specs.

Transcend (1GB MobileMMC):

Can be bought for $60 shipped from datamem.com
Has an endurance of 1,000,000 Read/Writes (according to the datasheet).
6MB/Sec Transfer rate.

ATP (1GB MobileMMC):

Is a bit more expensive ($90 w/o Shipping is the lowest I found)
Has (up to) 26MB/Sec transfer rate.
Has an endurance of 100,000 (10 times less than Transcend)
Is water/esd/dust proof.

Personally I don't think the extra money is worth the ATP because how often am I going to submerse the card? Dust proof?...I'll leave that one alone. The transfer rate is not so amazing after I was told I read it wrong (I had thought it said 256mb/s for ATP)...but the 770 can not take full advantage of that either way. For most of us...those who extended their RootFS would be more interested in longer endurance, especially for swap.

The following has been edited:

Has (up to) 256MB/Sec transfer rate. <---was changed to
Has (up to) 26MB/Sec transfer rate.

I was at work and was blazing thru everything and typing up a storm.

JMills
2006-03-01, 03:10
(Note! this is only my opinion)

Take these things into consideration.

Both:

Follow MMC 4.x standard.
Are Dual Voltage.
Carry a 5 year warranty.
Same general specs.

Transcend (1GB MobileMMC):

Can be bought for $60 shipped from datamem.com
Has an endurance of 1,000,000 Read/Writes (according to the datasheet).
6MB/Sec Transfer rate.

ATP (1GB MobileMMC):

Is a bit more expensive ($90 w/o Shipping is the lowest I found)
Has (up to) 256MB/Sec transfer rate.
Has an endurance of 100,000 (10 times less than Transcend)
Is water/esd/dust proof.

Personally I don't think the extra money is worth the ATP because how often am I going to submerse the card? Dust proof?...I'll leave that one alone. The transfer rate is amazing...but the 770 can not take full advantage of that. For most of us...those who extended their RootFS would be more interested in longer endurance, especially for swap.

The transfer rate you quoted for ATP is off by almost an order of magnitude, their max transfer rate is 26 MegaByte/sec (Twenty Six --- MMC 4.0 "133x") not Two-Hundred Fifty Six.

Specification sheets for the two MMCmobile devices you were discussing:

ATP: ATP AF1GHMB (http://flash.atpinc.com/articles/images/1032/MMC_Mobile_spec.pdf)

Transcend:
Transcend TS1GRMMC4 (http://www.transcendusa.com/Support/DLCenter/Datasheet/TS64MRMMC4%7eTS1GRMMC4.pdf)

Otherwise, your analysis appears to be spot-on.

FWIW, "MMCmobile" == MMC 4.x spec version of "DV RS-MMC" (MMC 3.x)

uNtouched
2006-03-09, 18:46
And after getting my Transcend MMC Mobile 1GB card, I have to say I'm disappointed. I truely feel like an *** for buying it as it is not able to support partitions other than FAT16, according to Transcend's tech support.

matmota
2006-03-09, 19:22
[...] it is not able to support partitions other than FAT16, according to Transcend's tech support.

Is this possible at all? AFAIK, the card would just behave like a block device, and the partition table is just data written in those blocks. Are MMC different in this aspect?

uNtouched
2006-03-09, 21:40
Believe you me, I just got partition manager to try to do it with PC, and STILL no dice. I format and partition with the 770, plug it into the reader for my PC and it only sees one big fat16 partition. The weird thing is that I could view sectors and it says something about not being able to boot a certain sector...yet my 64MB card that I parted and formatted doesn't say that.

EDIT!

It works, I used partition manager for windows. Works fine, wouldn't work though while trying to do it from within the 770.

DaScud
2006-04-03, 02:13
I prefer kingston and sandisk over other brands. Found this place selling a kingston 1gb mobile mmc card for $45 + shipping. I have purchased several items (mostly dvd/cd supplies) in the past and they have come thru without problems.

Kingston 1Gb mobile mmc card (http://www.meritline.com/kingston-1gb-multimedia-mobile-card.html)
DaScud