PDA

View Full Version : How to autostart programs after reset

maxilogan
2006-03-03, 14:08
I noticed that my 770 seldomly reboots.

Since I do not want to lose DejaPim alarms, is there a way to autostart it after the 770 is boot-up, just like creating a link on Startup menu in a Windows environment? I found advices on how to do this, but only regarding Gnome or KDE

Thanks, Omar

chrwei
2006-03-03, 14:12
i read someething, might have been in irc, about adding it to the rc files along with a sleep to give the x server time to start. not very elegant but should work

djs_tx
2006-03-03, 15:09
Could you create a script that sleeps for a few seconds and then starts the application from the command line? Then you could call that script from your .profile right?

David

Edit:
DOH, I've not ingested enough caffeine. That would not work because your .profile only gets loaded when you start a terminal...

llywrch
2006-03-03, 17:34

Since I do not want to lose DejaPim alarms, is there a way to autostart it after the 770 is boot-up, just like creating a link on Startup menu in a Windows environment? I found advices on how to do this, but only regarding Gnome or KDE

You could write an init script -- it would be one of those files that start with an "S" in your /etc/rc?.d directory -- which use a symbolic link to the appropriate script in the /etc/init.d directory.

HOWEVER, if my answer above doesn't make sense to you -- don't do it. Writing a shell script with a bug is a good way to brick your Nokia if you make a mistake. (But maybe someone else will provide a list of instructions in this thread for you to try.)

Geoff

maxilogan
2006-03-15, 09:57

Thanks, Omar

For those of you who are interested in autostarting applications, doing this will help a lot (worked for me!)

http://maemo.org/pipermail/maemo-developers/2006-February/002831.html

Bye, Omar