PDA

View Full Version : return of the sdhc corruption issue

Kathy
2008-01-16, 13:55
Last night I was trying to partition a 4g sdhc card so that I could install and try to learn from KDE. Something did not work correctly when I was partitioning the card, and now I am getting a corruted message on that card.

I know that this topic has been discussed ad-nauseum for the older devices and OS. I have read through many of the threads and have not been able to find the answer. I am running an n 800 in OS2008

Here is what I have tried:
1. Reformatted in n800 - did not work
2. tried to look at card on windows system - was not seen by drive. and caused My computer folder to stop operating.
3. tried formatting in a digital camers - ineffectve.

I would be incredibly grateful to either pointers to other threads or a link that would incredily helpful

Benson
2008-01-16, 15:00
My advice would be to try fdisking & mkfsing it from a Linux box (other than N800). If you don't have one, get a liveCD. (I'd personally use the Slackware install disk as a liveCD, but I don't advise that unless you're comfortable around UNIX; Ubuntu seems the most popular for such chores.)

If you don't know what to do yourself, you'll need someone else's advice on what exactly to do; I haven't done KDE, so I can't give you the exact commands you'd need. But I'm pretty sure this is the easiest way from here forward.

Hedgecore
2008-01-16, 15:07
I don't know much about the problem but back when I ran 2K/XP, if I ever ran into any problems like that I'd grab a Linux Live CD. I managed to fix a friend's MP3 player that was saying the memory was corrupted like this (and it crashed the file manager too).

These instructions are taken from Pen Drive Linux (http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2007/09/28/usb-ubuntu-710-gutsy-gibbon-install/) (I just used them to get Ubuntu on my EEE). I've modified some lines for your specific situation:

# Grab the Ubuntu 7.10 ISO and burn it to a CD
# Insert the CD and your USB flash drive
# Reboot your computer into Ubuntu from the Live CD
# Open a terminal window and type sudo su
# Type fdisk -l to list available drives/partitions. Note which device is your flash drive (example: /dev/sda) Throughout this tutorial, replace x with your flash drive letter. For example, if your flash drive is sdb, replace x with b.
# Type umount /dev/sdx1
# Type fdisk /dev/sdx

* type p to show the existing partition and d to delete it
* type p again to show any remaining partitions (if partitions exist, repeat the previous step)
* type n to make a new partition
* type p for primary partition
* type 1 to make this the first partition
* hit enter to use the default 1st cylinder
* hit enter again to use the default last cylinder
* type a to make this partition active
* type 1 to select partition 1
* type t to change the partition filesystem
* type 6 to select the fat16 file system
- If you want a different file system, type l to list them all and enter the appropriate number
* type w to write the partition table
* type q to quit

You'll still have to format it but blowing the partition away should allow you to get past the errors you were having.

*Edit: And BE CAREFUL. If you reference your HDD instead of the flash drive, it'll be a fun afternoon of reinstalling everything.