PDA

View Full Version : [Palm OS] splashID and Ultralingua

lemmy
2008-01-16, 18:11
I have installed Garnet VM ok and only had one glitch, in that syncing didn't work. This was due to my not setting Hotsync on my PC to 'network' mode.

None of the built in apps, calendar, to do, contacts, will sync at all and remain empty. I think this may be due to the fact that I run V4.2 Palm desktop.

The two apps that I most wanted, however, work and sync perfectly, These are SplashID for safely storing passwords and personal inf and ultraLingua which is simply the best French language dictionary I have ever come across in years of learning and speaking French.

I tried Password Safe for OS2008 but it's very poor and there appear to be no alternatives. So thank you Mr Garnet!

FGol
2008-01-16, 20:43
Ditto re SplashID. I wish there would be a way to take the info in SplashID and import it into Password Safe or some other first order maemo (or KDE) app. Garnet VM is a handy intermediate patch but eventually I think I'll want every Palm app replaced by a native app for the Nokia. Big on my wish list:
- HandDBase - I cannot install GLOM on OS2008.
- iSilo - I want a good document reader. FBReader claims to do PLUKR dos but the format and user interface seems awkward to me. I've resorted to dumping the docs in pure HTML and using the built in browser. iSilo let's me search across pages.
- Haven't found the PIM I'm happy with yet. I might end up with Kontact or Korganizer under KDE full time...
- Docs to Go: AbiWord seems to be a big hit but not on OS2008 (yet.) GNmeric seems promising.
- and TomTom GPS - I might end up trying the $130 MAP upgrade. I haven't figured out if maemo Mapper plans routes plus it's map base seems too big. I don't want to rely on an Internet connection to download whatever map I might need at some random time.

I miss my LifeDrive in some ways but this IT is too cool.
Frank

lemmy
2008-01-17, 10:06
I'm going over fully to the IT so for me too the VM is a stop gap. I find gpe calendar, todo and contacts fine for what I need.
I now use Google Calendar on my PC, gpe on the IT and sync them, a seamless procedure.
The big problem with contacts for me is the lack of import facilities. A csv option is needed at least.
Password storage looks to be a long term problem at the moment.

I've bought the Wayfinder mapping to replace Tom Tom on my Palm but I still use the Palm BT GPS module in the car as my Peugeot has the heat reducing windscreen option which inmpeded GPS signals. The maaemo mapping is OK but Wayfinder is a good replacement for Tom Tom.

I find the lock on time of the IT GPS module slow but so is my little Garmin hand held. Nice to have it there for when I'm out walking or cycling, though.

Nitesky
2008-01-19, 20:37
Looks like you have installed splash Id onto your N800. Would you mind telling how you did it? I tried downloading it from handmark where I originally got it, but my N800 wouldn't use it.How did you do it?(please)

ArgentSilver
2008-01-19, 20:51
Looks like you have installed splash Id onto your N800. Would you mind telling how you did it? I tried downloading it from handmark where I originally got it, but my N800 wouldn't use it.How did you do it?(please)
You must install the Garnet Virtual Machine first, see:
http://www.access-company.com/products/gvm/

Then install splash ID into the virtual machine. And read the FAQ on their website to see how to do the necessary stuff!

Nitesky
2008-01-19, 21:36
You must install the Garnet Virtual Machine first, see:
http://www.access-company.com/products/gvm/

Then install splash ID into the virtual machine. And read the FAQ on their website to see how to do the necessary stuff!

Thanks for your help:) I do have the GVM installed along with some other palm apps. Maybe thats my problem :confused: Maybe I am running out of room? Guess I could uninstall one of my other palm apps ... wordsmith is expiring because I can't find my serial number for it:eek:

lemmy
2008-01-20, 00:58
Yes, nitesky, I run it through the Garnet VM. It automatically loaded up when I did my first sync and needed the registration code to be entered, of course.
It's a pretty clunky way of keeping and syncing all my passwords but it's better than Linux can natively offer - zilch, that is.

Nitesky
2008-01-20, 17:10
Thanks everyone. I finally have my Splash Id(PDA SafeID) working!!