PDA

View Full Version : the lock button on top of the 810- what's its purpose?

waxman
2008-01-17, 10:07
OK, guys I feel like an idiot, but I cannot for the life of me figure out what that button does. It doesn't 'lock' the sllder and it doesn't lock the stylus. What the heck does it lock?

frethop
2008-01-17, 10:26
Hey! An easy one I can answer!

It locks the screen from accidental taps. Move it to the left and hold it there briefly. Watch the screen. You'll get a message about the screen being locked.

When you do it again, it unlocks the screen.

Jerro
2008-01-17, 10:31
It disables the touchscreen as well as all the hardware keys on the device (except the lock slider itself of course), and also reduces the screen brightness period to a few seconds. It's useful when you want to pocket the device without turning it off.

twaelti
2008-01-17, 10:45
Important is that you don't flip it too quickly - slowly move it left, hold it for a moment, then let it go again (don't let it go immediately).

munkey
2008-01-17, 15:29
so, is it the same as a short press on the Power button and selecting the "Lock touch screen and keys" option on my N800?

GeneralAntilles
2008-01-17, 15:36
so, is it the same as a short press on the Power button and selecting the "Lock touch screen and keys" option on my N800?

Affirmative.

pycage
2008-01-17, 15:37

It exactly is. Since the N800 doesn't have this lock-button but still runs the same OS version, the lock option still has to be in the power button menu.

krisse
2008-01-17, 18:11
My N810 locks even if I flip the switch quite quickly, the sensitivity may vary from switch to switch. The important thing to make sure is that the locked message appears on the screen after you use the switch.

Just as a bit of trivia, Nokia has exactly the same feature on their recent N81 smartphone, and the N81 casing looks very similar to the N810 too.

waxman
2008-01-17, 18:53
It disables the touchscreen as well as all the hardware keys on the device (except the lock slider itself of course), and also reduces the screen brightness period to a few seconds. It's useful when you want to pocket the device without turning it off.

thanks all for the tips. 1 q though jerro, are you saying there IS a slider lock button somewhere?

drizek
2008-01-17, 19:08
thanks all for the tips. 1 q though jerro, are you saying there IS a slider lock button somewhere?

Only on the 810, not on the 800.

waxman
2008-01-17, 19:50
i must be nuts bc I have an 810 and can't find a slider lock,button. I've,got the rear battery cover lock and every other button's functionality figured out. where is the slide lock on a 810?

fpp
2008-01-17, 19:53
On the upper side on the right (opposite the full screen button).

Confusion may result from the fact that it "locks" the screen and the other buttons, but it doesn't "lock" itself - you slide it to the left, and it comes back to its original position.

MikeL
2008-01-17, 20:02
On the top and on the right is the lock switch. --edit-- Bump fpp :)

Also note that with this switch set to locked, when you slide open the keyboard the lock option is temporarily overridden and the device is activated but as soon as you close the keyboard it returns to the locked state. Quite a neat feature :rolleyes:

The only problem with this particular lock switch is it's fiddly to operate, I actually dropped my N810 today whilst operating this particular switch. (Damaging/cracking the case and stand on one corner slightly)

Really do think we need some form of hand strap on the N810 whilst on the move to prevent dropping when opening and closing keyboard and operating tiny switches with big fingers.

waxman
2008-01-17, 20:49
sorry, i now get the key-screen lock functionality, I was asking if there was some sort of button that physically locked the keyboard from sliding down (or screen from sliding up depending on your pov :)

fpp
2008-01-18, 12:06
Don't think so...

Zuber
2008-01-18, 18:11
Really do think we need some form of hand strap on the N810 whilst on the move to prevent dropping when opening and closing keyboard and operating tiny switches with big fingers.

Off Topic, but someone posted on another thread...

Depending on the type, you can slip something though the Stylus sylo (with the stylus taken out) and it works quite well. Stylus still goes back in ok though just a smidge out compared to before.

Thread with pics is actually :

http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14371

I intend to try it.

Hope that's useful.

Zuber