PDA

View Full Version : Problem converting dvr-ms to anything viewable on n810

waxman
2008-01-17, 21:13
I'm looking for some advice bc most of the posts I've found here have to do with converting/transcoding files other than dvr-ms.
I have tv shows like battlestar I want to be able to watch oln my 810. I'm using mcebuddy to rip to wmv and mp4 (h264). Neither played worth a darn on the 810 so I used the nokia ITVT app-- dragged and dropped. Conversion worked, dropped new mp4 to 4 gig card.
I've installed mplayer and canola2 beta. Mplayer sees the mp4 but craps out- the video is screwy- tilted 45 degrees, maybe 1 fps. Playing wmv causes gmplayer to hang. Canola2 doesn't see the mp4 or wmv as a suppoted file at all. Built in mediapleyer sees the files but reports no codec support.
So my q's
1. is there a codec pack for N810
2. is anyone successfully converting dvr-ms to something watchable, and if so what pc app are you using to convert, what format/coddc, and what player on the 810?

vbrilon
2008-01-17, 21:38
There's a bug request in Bugzilla to support this. See here:
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2644

I've asked the user who filed the bug to attach a small sample file so that we can take a look at it, but as of now there's no response.

If you can produce a small (under 2MB) file in this format, please attach it in Bugzilla.

waxman
2008-01-17, 23:17
Sure thing. I'll record a couple seconds of TV, it'll create the dvr-ms file, and I'll upload the attachment. (Of course I'll make sure that ITVT still chokes on it).

It would be a very good thing to be able to go straight from dvr-ms to the ITVT --> to the N810 without the middle step of mcebuddy.

FWIW There's a download for XP (non MCE) that allows non-MCE OS's to watch dvr-ms files inside of windows media player. Maybe ITVT needs this codec? I've been using this functionality to watch my recorded tv from pc #1 (MCE box) on my pc #2 laptop (XP box) and never had a problem but without the update if you try to watch a dvr-ms on an XP box WMP will choke on it.

waxman
2008-01-17, 23:40
ok just uploaded a 2 second clip to the bug issue tracker. ITVC (sorry about screwing up th acronym in earlier posts) won't recognize the format.

I'm stll hoping someone out there regularly converts dvr-ms's to something playable on the n810 and is will to share their secret- which transcode app, what reso/bitrate/codec, and what version of what N810 player they are using. thanks!

vbrilon
2008-01-18, 01:28
FWIW There's a download for XP (non MCE) that allows non-MCE OS's to watch dvr-ms files inside of windows media player. Maybe ITVT needs this codec?

I'll look into this, but I suspect that this codec (as most MS codecs) has serious limitations on commercial distributions. But either way, I'll look into it.

Do you by chance have a URL where this codec can be downloaded? Searching the MS site didn't come up with anything useful.

waxman
2008-01-18, 02:12
Try http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms787495.aspx
it has a link to the qfe.

FYI, all the recorded tv files (dvr-ms) I'm creating are unencrypted, i.e. the broadcaster has not set the copy protection flag

vbrilon
2008-01-18, 03:23
Ok, that was my next question if there was DRM on the files :)

I've opened up a bug in our internal Bugzilla on this so stay tuned and let's see what happens.

waxman
2008-01-18, 06:49
victor- does ITVC always output the same video properties, regardless of the input-- i.e. whether I throw a 1900x1080 video or a 640x480, that ITVC will transcode to 400x240? How about bitrates for video and audio- does ITVC have a static setting that's optimized for our tablets or does that vary by the type of video input?

I'm pursuing parallel paths here-- the author of mcebuddy may be willing to add a configuration setting for video output support for the N810's since he's got the conversion of dvr-ms's to pretty much any format (but not n810 friendly settings) in his code, while you've got the n810 friendly results but aren't dvr-ms friendly yet.

vbrilon
2008-01-18, 06:55
Yes, the bitrate and resolution of the output video/audio will always be the same. It's pretty much the optimal size/resolution/bitrate for playback on the tablet. If you look in the advanced settings, you can see where you can tweak that a bit, but our design goal was to make it work as good as possible, for the majority of the cases, straight out of the box.

Even if we don't do dvr-ms support right away due to codec distribution issues or whatever, there's a very simple (and powerful) API that a 3rd party dev could tackle to add any kind of functionality that they desired to the app.

waxman
2008-01-18, 07:15
Even if we don't do dvr-ms support right away due to codec distribution issues or whatever, there's a very simple (and powerful) API that a 3rd party dev could tackle to add any kind of functionality that they desired to the app.

I am unfortunately not that developer :D
But if some kind soul lurking here uses MCE as their DVR and wanted to add support for dvr-ms, I would be very grateful.

vbrilon
2008-01-18, 08:00
Forgot to include a link to the API docs in case anyone wants them :)
http://maemo.org/community/wiki/internettabletvideoconverter/

waxman
2008-01-25, 06:08
Just want to post a quick update- the developer of mcebuddy wrote a small addition that you can add to the configuration file which creates a profile for the n800 and n810. This profile works perfectly to take big dvr-ms files and convert them to something small but nice looking on the tablet in one step. No multiple transcoding needed.

The changes to the conf settings essentially output a file with the same properties as the ITVC tool set to 'best.' ITVC is still my tool for non dvr-ms files, but that's a smaller set of my videos.

read this thread
http://mcebuddy.com/forums/t/199.aspx
for the new profile and just add it to the end of the mencoder conf file.
make sure you change the one type from 400x200 to 400x240

hope this helps someone!