PDA

View Full Version : Which sdhd card and which reader

johjohjus
2008-01-17, 21:28
I am a newbie and just got a n800. I wanted to get a couple of sdhd 8g cards but have no idea which one to choose. Also i need a reader for it and again have no idea which to choose. Hoping someone on here can help.

drizek
2008-01-17, 21:33
Get one 16GB card instead it. It will end up costing the same.

8GB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211180 (I have this one, it works just fine)
16GB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211245
16 + reader http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820208377

I don't use a reader though, I just copy over files over the network wirelessly.

superstar
2008-01-17, 21:34
Kingston, Transced, A-data, check newegg or buy.com, I like newegg's shipping process, their 3 days shipping always get it the next day...
I don't think you need a card reader, I just plug my N800 with the included USB cables to my pc and you are ready to go.

johjohjus
2008-01-17, 21:47

Will the 16gb work as well as the 8? I have read some negatives about the higher capacity cards?

dont
2008-01-17, 22:23
I don't use a reader though, I just copy over files over the network wirelessly.

FWIW. I timed file copies to my 8GB Kingston class 4 at roughly 2x faster when in a Sandisk ImageMate 5-in-1 reader vs. in my N800.

krisse
2008-01-17, 22:33

Will the 16gb work as well as the 8? I have read some negatives about the higher capacity cards?

Nokia's official line is that they've only tested it with 8, so they can only guarantee performance with 8.

However, the unofficial line from people on here is that 16 does work fine, but that's unofficial so there's no guarantee.

drizek
2008-01-17, 22:42
FWIW. I timed file copies to my 8GB Kingston class 4 at roughly 2x faster when in a Sandisk ImageMate 5-in-1 reader vs. in my N800.

Ya, I am sure it is faster, but it isn't as convenient. I have a 1gb high speed sd card that I put in my laptops reader when I need to copy files quickly.

futures
2008-01-17, 22:53
For card readers (with SDHC support), I bought a few Sandisk Extreme Readers based on reviews from Amazon.com and can confirm transfer rates are significant better then others I've tried.
http://www.amazon.com/Sandisk-Extreme-Reader-Retail-Package/dp/B000H4CLXS

A bonus (for N800 owners) is it uses and includes the same type of USB cable bundled with the Nokia N800.. the Male Mini B to Male USB A. Oh, like most other readers, a driver letter is assigned for each of the two slots, the first one also

* Note.. wont work connected directly to N800 in host mode .. I tried. Likely will work with a powered usb hub in between.

Product description from amazon's site:

"The Extreme USB 2.0 Reader provides you with a complete digital solution for your photography needs. Its performs at up to 20MB per seconds sequential read and write, above the level needed for the high enthusiast photographer. It's designed with two slots and supports CF (Type I and II), SD, MS Pro, and MS PRO Duo. It supports USB 2.0 connectivity on both Windows and Macintosh Operating Systems. It plugs and plays with no external AC power"

Doesn't say it in the description but it DOES support SDHC which is clearly labelled on the packaging..

johjohjus
2008-01-18, 15:15
How about the size? Has anyone else had any experience using a 16g card? I see that Nokia backs the 8g but what are the practical experiences of using the 16g card?

superstar
2008-01-18, 15:44
...the obvious? more space? :) Someone correct me but I think Nokia only backs 8gb because maybe at the time of testing 8gb was only available to consumers? I read somewhere here (http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=125930&postcount=11) that people have 16gb+ working fine...

futures
2008-01-18, 23:11
Everyone who has a 16GB SDHC says it works with the N800, so dont sweat it. I'm sure the 32GB SDHC cards will also work.. you'll see more of these soon.. but when they come out it'll be more expensive then the tablets!

Cyker
2008-01-18, 23:30
I have a 16GB SHDC Class4 card and it works in the external slot of my N800 (Haven't tested the internal yet; Currently there is a 2GB SD 52x card from my Zod2 in there ;))

Alex P. Keaton
2008-01-22, 05:41
Hi Everyone,
I just tried a PNY4 GB SDHC card in both internal & external slots, but my N800 did not recognize it in either of these slots. The card worked fine in my HP laptop. The mini SD 256 mb card that was supplied by Nokia works fine. Any thoughts ? I just had a possible Ah Ha moment - I m running OS 2007 (3.2007.10-7). Could this OS be playing a part ?

Thanks

adsum ignotus
2008-01-22, 06:25
To the above: yes, os2008 is where it's at! And FYI Newegg.com has the neew transcend 16gb class 6(s) for $79.99. I'll be ordering in the A.M.

mleeds
2008-01-23, 04:12
For card readers (with SDHC support), I bought a few Sandisk Extreme Readers based on reviews from Amazon.com and can confirm transfer rates are significant better then others I've tried.
http://www.amazon.com/Sandisk-Extreme-Reader-Retail-Package/dp/B000H4CLXS

A bonus (for N800 owners) is it uses and includes the same type of USB cable bundled with the Nokia N800.. the Male Mini B to Male USB A. Oh, like most other readers, a driver letter is assigned for each of the two slots, the first one also

* Note.. wont work connected directly to N800 in host mode .. I tried. Likely will work with a powered usb hub in between.

Product description from amazon's site:

"The Extreme USB 2.0 Reader provides you with a complete digital solution for your photography needs. Its performs at up to 20MB per seconds sequential read and write, above the level needed for the high enthusiast photographer. It's designed with two slots and supports CF (Type I and II), SD, MS Pro, and MS PRO Duo. It supports USB 2.0 connectivity on both Windows and Macintosh Operating Systems. It plugs and plays with no external AC power"

Doesn't say it in the description but it DOES support SDHC which is clearly labelled on the packaging..

Did you personally test the SDHC support and with what OS?