PDA

View Full Version : Downloading new maps to 810

caseyd
2008-01-20, 06:46
Hi there,

Over the past day I have tried to download a new map to my new 810 several times. The N810 was reflashed to the latest OS.

I've deleted all user guides other than English, all Images, Music, and removed all the maps but US West. ( it wouldn't allow me to delete the last map.)

The download from w/in Maps takes an amazing amount of time only to result in a failure message. As in 3 or 4 hours. Bluetooth is off, GSP acquisitin is off...

I tried using the Map Downloader tool. I was told to use the micro Sd card in a stand-alone reader or to connect the device. Neither worked; I was told that the memory card needed to of had a Map written to it before the Map Downloader tool would talk to it

Most recently I upped the amount of virtual RAM and have set the whole sad circus in motion again.

Have I mis-understood how updating the Maps was supposed to proceed?

iamthewalrus
2008-01-20, 11:19
Try minimizing virtual ram instead of upping it. Because the space the Virtual ram uses on the SD card can't be used to store maps, it is to store applications that you have opened.

- Close the map app

then make sure there is enough space on the sd card. To delete everything on the sd card, including hidden files and folders:
- Open Xterm
- Type: rm -rf /media/mmc1/*

Optionally remove/back up old settings:
- Open Xterm
- Type: mv .navicore navicore-backup

pieter_jh
2008-01-20, 12:12
I have been trying to download the South Africa map which is only 29 Megs, with similar results, so it cant be memory issue, surely?

pycage
2008-01-20, 14:00
My download attempts fail as soon as I click on the download button. This happens on my N800 as well as on my N810. The Wayfinder download system must be seriously broken. :(

iamthewalrus
2008-01-20, 14:17
Privoxy also seems to block the map downloads, so if you happen to use that disable it.

caseyd
2008-01-20, 14:55
Walrus, thanks fo rthe hint on the RAM.

When you write 'sd' you mean the non-removable sd? as I have a blank 6gig card in the expansion bay....

Thanks, I may experiment with that later.

as it was I left this running last night in the expanded swap/virtual memory setup I posted earlier and found that the Alps had downloaded successfully.

our household net traffic is pretty heavy, perhaps sending everyone to bed and using the host during the late hours made it possible.

dubwise
2008-01-20, 17:10
You can download all the maps with any computer here:

http://www.navicoretech.com/Consumer/Support/Downloads/tablet/en_GB/tablet/

Here are awesomely detailed instructions
as to what to do with them.

http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=119955&postcount=11

Note that if you move the maps directory
from your N810 internal MMC2
to a card stuck in the external MMC1 slot,
the Map app will find them just fine.
That leaves you the internal 2gig MMC2 for KDE or whatever.

caseyd
2008-01-20, 22:38
PC? I have only Macs and Solaris boxes.
I'll go look tho, Thanks!

The saga has continued; the map ( Germany & Alps) is apparently present, and shows up in the list of maps.

having selected it the Map application now crashes when it starts up.

caseyd
2008-01-20, 22:43
( Hey, on that navicore page... "you can install ... without the windows installer! great !)

From reading the awsomely detailed notes I see that the directory structure of my download was not correct - at least the new mapdata directory was missing the _Germany & Alps bit. I'll go see if rernaming that subdir does the trick.

thanks fir the hint about moving the maps directory. that would be best; most triumphant hints there dubwise.

OxfordJohn
2008-01-21, 09:04
To download to a PC go to:
http://www.navicoretech.com/Consumer/Support/Downloads/tablet/en_GB/wfnavigator/

Addison
2008-01-22, 09:53
I need to put roughly 1.5 gigs of this download junk on my memory card just to view the street I live on?

Yikes.

Riba
2008-01-22, 09:57
I need to put roughly 1.5 gigs of this download junk on my memory card just to view the street I live on?

Yikes.

Usually people need maps not to view the street they live on because most do know where they live. If you just need to view the street you live on, the map might be much smaller.

mwiktowy
2008-01-22, 11:07
Hi there,

Over the past day I have tried to download a new map to my new 810 several times. The N810 was reflashed to the latest OS.

I've deleted all user guides other than English, all Images, Music, and removed all the maps but US West. ( it wouldn't allow me to delete the last map.)

The download from w/in Maps takes an amazing amount of time only to result in a failure message. As in 3 or 4 hours. Bluetooth is off, GSP acquisitin is off...

I just downloaded the maps just fine. Took about 5 minutes or so for the Canada/Alaska map.

It is quite possible that you got bitten by the internal flash memory corruption bug present in the earlier version of OS2008. I was having similar very strange effects due to that memory being intermittently read-only. If you find that with the file manager, you can't move files on and off the internal 2G memory, you might have to reformat the partition.

You can do this by plugging the N810 into your desktop via the USB cable and formatting the drive using the desktop as a FAT32 partition. You should be able to get most of your info off the card first though. I found that only a few files where corrupted beyond retrieveability. You will also have to reboot your N810 after as I found there was some ghost files left on the 2G partition due to the way the file manager caches its file listings.

caseyd
2008-01-23, 23:00
Thanks all!

I will keep track of whats going on on the internal SD; I think I can reformat it from OSX as FAT32.

WRT to 'copying' shouldn;t a mv command work fine? I tried it from OS X command line and got a slew of errors with file flags ( weird ). I haven't yet tried the N810 command line mv.

but, I am not in california now, I'm in switzerland and I have maps! thanks to everyone. I even sometimes get a GPS lock: sweet.