PDA

View Full Version : a simple talking weather report for flite and elinks

linux_author
2008-01-21, 14:55
- spent an hour or so yesterday on a simple talking weather report script that uses the flite artificial speech app (tks to the developer who did the port!) and the elinks text-only web browser (which ports with no modifications!)...

- so i thought i'd share... i also crafted an entry for the Extras menu, named WxTalk.desktop (which like other menu entries, is saved under /usr/share/applications/hildon):

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Version=0.1
Type=Application
Name=WxTalk
Exec=/home/user/apps/wxtk.sh
Icon=qgn_list_gene_default_app

- note that the script (wxtk.sh) is saved under /home/user/apps... you'll have to edit a couple lines in the script for your needs:

1. the URL for the mobile report (unless you live in Pinellas County, Fla.)
2. the first few lines of the parsed report (just to clean up the text)

- as the SuSE foks used to say: Have a lot of fun!

(the script is attached with the name wxtk.txt, but you can rename to wxtk.sh [or whatever])

GeneralAntilles
2008-01-21, 14:59
Good stuff!

It's just like the UHF marine forecast (almost the same voice). :cool:

OSEmuTech
2008-01-21, 15:37
Darn. After 35 years I just moved out of Pinellas to Hillsborough (Temple Terror). ;) (To finally finish my B.S. at USF.)

I'm running OS 2007-4. I can't get elinks from the repositories (http://gronmayer.com/it/), so apt-get install elinks finds nothing too.

I'm new at this. Which architecture to I download the (armel) deb file for? i386, ARM? Thanks!

alpha architecture (DEC Alpha)
amd64 architecture (AMD x86_64 (AMD64))
arm architecture (ARM)
hppa architecture (HP PA RISC)
i386 architecture (Intel ia32)
ia64 architecture (Intel ia64)
mips architecture (MIPS (Big Endian))
mipsel architecture (MIPS (Little Endian))
powerpc architecture (PowerPC)
s390 architecture (IBM S/390)
sparc architecture (Sun SPARC/UltraSPARC)

linux_author
2008-01-21, 16:41
1. elinks isn't in any repository (built it myself)

2. i don't know why someone hasn't built a set of cli utils for everyone (time, effort?)

3. you can download a copy here:

http://www.tux.org/~bball/n800/elinks

4. download to your n800 into /home/user/apps or if a different directory, such as /usr/bin, you will have to modify the script..

hope this helps!

p.s. the elinks browser was a straight build with no special modifications... it will work under os2007 or os2008... i could also have used the links browser or the lynx browser, but since the elinks source was downloaded first, eh!

- for more info about elinks, see:

http://elinks.or.cz

fredoll
2008-01-21, 16:44
links is available in the repositories

GeneralAntilles
2008-01-21, 16:54
Darn. After 35 years I just moved out of Pinellas to Hillsborough (Temple Terror). ;) (To finally finish my B.S. at USF.)

Is Tampa Bay the location of some sort of crazy maemo sleeper cell? Seems like there are a ton of users from around here.

linux_author
2008-01-21, 16:54
links is available in the repositories

- great! tks!

- then anyone can use the script (or write their own), as links also supports a '-dump' option...

- one will most certainly have to remove specific links cruft from the dump though...

p.s. i noticed that links is only available for os2008? i'd bet it would work under os2007? anyhow, using elinks, links, or whatever!

linux_author
2008-01-21, 16:57
Is Tampa Bay the location of some sort of crazy maemo sleeper cell? Seems like there are a ton of users from around here.

dunno 'bout that, but there sure are a *lot* of crazies in this area!

:-)

hmm... maybe an IT users group is called for? there are active Linux user groups here...

nhanquy
2008-01-21, 18:08
FYI

looks like flite doesn't like -f with the 2008OS (?)
I have changed it to "flite < /tmp/..." in the script to make it talk!