PDA

View Full Version : What about this Origami input method?

jaycee
2006-03-09, 12:28
http://www.engadget.com/2006/03/08/cebit-web-site-shows-origami-ui/

I quite like this one - it looks nice and leverages your QWERTY spatial memory.

It might take up a bit much screen-space on the 770, however, if the keys were to be big enought for thumb presses.

Any thoughts?

Jonathan

Karel Jansens
2006-03-09, 14:18
Isn't the 770's screen "palm-resistant", meaning that only something like fingernails will register?

In any case, if the Origami's screen isn't, it will be, at least at those screen sizes, a royal pain in the butt. I have recently acquired a Siemens SimPad, which also isn't palm-resistant (meaning that fingertips, palms and just about anything that touches the screen will register as input), and it is a lot more hassle to do handwriting on it than, say on my Fujitsu Stylistic. For one thing, I have to constantly be aware that my palm doesn't touch the screen, or I get a mighty case of the "jaggies" (that's Newton jargon for erratic pen input).

Hedgecore
2006-03-09, 14:24
Is it just me or did anyone else's thumbs ache at the prospect of trying to balance that thing in your hands while extending your thumb to read the 't' key. I just used 't' 11 times in that previous sentence alone. Stupid method.

I'd rather like something like what's on the 770 but 25% opacity so that you can still see what's underneath it. Making it a transparent overlay would be great and there wouldn't be a need to resize half the screen everytime the KB pops up.

djs_tx
2006-03-09, 15:12
Opacity is a cool idea but how do you deal with wanting to enter text in a field that is under the semi-transparent keyboard?
David

Remote User
2006-03-09, 15:27
Isn't the 770's screen "palm-resistant", meaning that only something like fingernails will register?That's correct. There has to be a certain amount of 'sharpness' in whatever touches the screen before it is recognized as intentional. This is a software selectable setting. On other devices, like the Hitachi VisionPlate, the setting is more sensitive so it actually behaves more like a touchscreen. You can't really use the 770 like a touchscreen as it's shipped. You have to use the stylus.

This is all due to a pattern of decisions made by someone about the display, 4.1" or 10.4 cm, its size in comparison to a finger and the design of the Maemo GUI itself. The result is that the 770 is designed to be used pretty much the way that a desktop is used.

Anyone using the 770 as a book will not be able, as a result, to turn a page with a light touch of the finger to the screen. They won't be able to make their fingers dance across the screen to manipulate a GUI that is designed for touchscreen use by a 'finger'. They'll have to, instead, search for a poke of a sharp fingernail or use the stylus.

Fixing this will require 770 apps that require this kind of interaction, where fingers can operate the 770's display in a 'dance', as many touchscreen apps allow, to contain a software fix to specifically allow finger dancing by increasing the sensitivity of the touchscreen sensor. I assume, and hope, this is an adjustable setting.

Hedgecore
2006-03-09, 19:29
djs_tx: Simple, you can see the field under the keyboard. Not optimal I know, but it beats having 50% of the screen real estate disappear.