PDA

View Full Version : [Canola] Suggestion: ID3 Tag Editor

Syntra
2008-01-23, 20:38
Just throwing it out there, Marcelo.

I'd love an ID3 Tag editor for Canola, maybe just throw it in there when you are playing a song? I dunno. Regardless, I rip songs from youtube onto my N800, and I don't wanna have to put the song on my PC, edit the tags, then put it back to have Canola recognize it as an artist, album, etc.

zeez
2008-01-23, 21:06
That still sounds like too much work :)
What i would like to see: Automatically tag podcast files using the info from the xml feed....

handful
2008-01-23, 22:21
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the insights... it's always a delicate matter this tagging etc. What we did this week was to create the "compilation or soundtrack" album fix (it's a wizard that help you merge things like several artists in one album... but apart from that we don't plan to solve problems with tagging. Maximum would be like you said a "See song info" menu where you can edit (with auto completion) the basic tags. But more than that I can already disclose that we don;t have plans.

We need to keep a sanity level in our designs and also not forget that this is a mobile device ... so we will try at least to provide the more and more features without compromising simplicity.

Zeez: you mean, the Podcast enters in the Audio -> By Artist (podcast owner name would go here) ?

BR

Marcelo

zeez
2008-01-23, 22:31
What i mean is that mp3s from podcasts are often horribly tagged. But you have all the info for all the episodes in the rss feed, so why not write it to the files automatically ?

cashless
2008-01-23, 22:43
Good god YES!!! An ID3 editor and a small app that give you all that metadata/specs of the mp3 (comments, year, bpm, bitrate, CBR or VBRm etc)...

This is kinda why I ranted in another thread. These basic kind of apps are missing from this platform. If I knew more about linux, I would definitely compile or even try to write some of these myself.

handful
2008-01-23, 23:09
Cashless : the thing is that such small device is not really suited for management of large libraries etc. Of course you can do, but the real problem is more about the different tag methods across different formats (mp3 / wma) different versions, and even more the amount of typing you need to do on a platform where typing is not that confortable.

That's why I'm not surprised that nobody has compiled something yet, because for sure there is something.

That's just my 2 cents, of course people have different needs and opinions... But I can also say that this is most of people I have been talking (a lot outside this forum) after the release etc : /

It's really hard to keep yourself out of the target group when you are deciding what goes and doesn't go into the application and of course the priority of every feature that is going to be implemented.

BR

Marcelo

MikeL
2008-01-23, 23:53
To add my thoughts if i may, surely we don't want to do those tasks on our NIT's that are much more bearable and even pleasant such as music tagging organisation on a typical PC/monitor. I mean look at itunes and the ipod, we dont edit tags on the ipod to update itunes on PC, why because it would be a pain.

What i hope to see more of, is painless file transfer and sync between the NITs and PC's. Using open methods and software which does not lock me into a restrictive process and applications. Canola appears to have this Goal in mind for NIT's and i applaud the team for that!

I use Winscp for wireless transfer and sync of media files between my PC and NIT's before i travel, its so easy! (I add i don't like itunes or win media players)

I am all for doing as much as we can, whist on the move using a NIT, but lets keep our expectations realistic due to small screen dimensions otherwise we wont have squares eyes from watching TV, we will have destroyed eyes from squinting at NIT screens ;)