PDA

View Full Version : [Canola] Status of Add-ons and docs in Canola 2

frethop
2008-01-24, 15:01
Does anyone know the status of add-ons and the documentation for add-on development for Canola 2? I think it's an interesting platform to develop some add-ons to control specific music/network devices, but I've been waiting for updates.

I understand a major update is coming soon. Will add-ons be better supported then?

Thanks.

handful
2008-01-24, 21:23
Hi Frethop:

Yes, this first update is a bug fix one, but our lead on the canola core ( Ulisses ) has been working non-stop to deliver the third party plugin support. What we wanted to make sure is to give people enough flexibility to develop several kinds of plugin.. instead of releasing some simple / cropped support.

So, not making any promises but we do have plans to announce it at least for some people in the second update. We already started doing some plugins ourselves to validate the support ... if it's good.. it will be launched.

The documentation : the best documentation of course will be a set of open source plugins we will release, crossing most of the uses and also the Upnp is being done by another team in that matter so for you this would be the thing.. you can take a look at their code and implement what you need.!

Br

Marcelo

tps
2008-01-27, 14:49
Hi Frethop:

Yes, this first update is a bug fix one, but our lead on the canola core ( Ulisses ) has been working non-stop to deliver the third party plugin support. What we wanted to make sure is to give people enough flexibility to develop several kinds of plugin.. instead of releasing some simple / cropped support.

So, not making any promises but we do have plans to announce it at least for some people in the second update. We already started doing some plugins ourselves to validate the support ... if it's good.. it will be launched.

The documentation : the best documentation of course will be a set of open source plugins we will release, crossing most of the uses and also the Upnp is being done by another team in that matter so for you this would be the thing.. you can take a look at their code and implement what you need.!

I'm looking forward to this. I'm proficient in a lot of languages; python isn't one of them, and I'm looking for a real reason to learn it. This will be the reason for me. I think you guys are doing a great job with Canola. I showed it off to a few people, and they actually went out and bought N800s instead of iPods for their multimedia devices. I think that says a lot, even though Canola 2 is still the initial release.

Keep up the good work!

Tim