PDA

View Full Version : Will there ever be a 2nd gen Nokia 770?

gen2
2006-03-10, 06:01
I'm holding out for a second-gen Nokia that's improved, now that Nokia knows that there is a market for these devices.

Does anyone know when they plan to release their 2nd-gen device?

oafbot
2006-03-10, 06:22
I'm holding out for a second-gen Nokia that's improved, now that Nokia knows that there is a market for these devices.

Does anyone know when they plan to release their 2nd-gen device?

sometime later this year.
probably around summer. maybe later with delays and all.

supposed to have a keyboard, voip, asian language support, and maybe a new TI chip (but probably not) to run it all.

(Mind you, this is all quasi-rumor status info.)

BTW... come on don't hold out! be an early adopter! ;)

argh
2006-03-10, 08:39
Don't hold out for a RevB hoping for improved specs. For a product like this, the next revision should be "completely" different, with it's own new set of problems.

I don't buy into the idea that they will update processor or RAM anytime soon, and from past experience with other vendors, any new software will really be intended more for the hardware that is still in the lab. It ends up being too slow and resource intensive for the current generation.

Buy into it now, if the money isn't a real stretch. If the money is too much, think about why you "need" it and consider your purchase carefully. It isn't perfect; it is really a toy at this point.

Personally, while I do carry it, I prefer using either my laptop or blackberry. I like it, and know it will go further-- this makes me happy to buy into the 1.0 version. The development of the platform requires more than Nokia hardware-- the real pressure is on applications that work in the form factor and accessories that fill in the holes. (It sounds like people want keyboards, gps, and more speed for the same price. It ain't gonna happen.)

varis
2006-03-10, 08:43
There is no announcement yet so it means it is at least 6-9 months away, probably more.

cis4life
2006-03-11, 03:53
Yeah,

and it still depends if nokia feels they can continue to profit from it. Esp. now will the a couple ultra mobile pc's on the way and hitting around the same cost.

varis
2006-03-11, 17:17
The UMPC is a rather different product, priced at double the cost (or more). And with the UMPC hype/marketing, it should now be easier to bring some attention to 770. Also consider these facts and a follow up product should seem almost certain:

1. The 770 was sold out, apparently outperforming Nokia's expectations
2. Nokia launched a whole new platform with the 770. A bit too costly an endeavor for just a single product, you'd think?

mrn
2006-03-11, 17:57
i would suggest NOT to wait.
there are two things that could happen:
-you are waiting-waiting (but hungry for a device) and one day you see sthng nice and forget what you originally wanted (yeah-really bad!!!) ... and just beacause waiting for so long and being inpatient you just end up with a machine with XY OS, which is far from linux devices. and the next day you will try to turn it back, but late, man.
- other option is that you are waiting, mr A is also waiting, mr B, mr C,,,
everybody waiting for a keyboard device, and nokia just... instead of working on a new products ...(yeah...this is the worse situation coz' now we are speaking about the only company..) drops the linux machine line.

Pls do not forget that a faster Palm with WiFI cost like 200 euros more and
the Zaurus line just finished in the US (it is only sold in Japan acc to the net)
so, tooo much waiting can end up swhere else...

just to finish, i was not waiting, and if there will be a new model... much better, but only really bette rthan than this: i will also go for it, if not, i will feeeeel good that i already have my machine and was not wasting time on waiting and waiting for sthng which did not worth the time and risk.

Hedgecore
2006-03-12, 15:56
Doubtful you'll see any new hardware platform any time soon. This summer the 2006 edition of the OS is coming out with VOIP support, IM if I remember right, and a few other goodies. I'm still a firm believer that the current specs can handle most things and that 2005 is inefficient in a lot of ways. My bet is that a lot of the feedback (well, useful feedback) has been analyzed and the Maemo developers are working to improve some areas.

fpp
2006-03-12, 17:06
Same here. That's why I mentioned in another thread that Qtopia has been ported to the GP2X : an old Zaurus C760 achieves a lot more under Qtopia than the 770 under Maemo with very comparable hardware, so there's definitely room for improvement.