PDA

View Full Version : N800 - My Family/Fridge computer

zulu
2008-01-26, 00:19
I started my Xmass shopping with a mission to have a device on top of our fridge that will play an internet radio. This is the national/public radio (similar to NPR) from back home. I needed this new appliance to be simple enough so that my mom can use it.

I tried Roku and an old laptop, neither worked well. I currently have the N800 setup with the Internet radio on the desktop and the current weather and notes/to-do and a library of kids songs and podcasts. I also have setup a family IM account which makes this device our family connectivity device.

Here is my wishlist:
Calendar with iCal - we keep our calendards on Google.
XM Radio client - I wish the online/flash client works better.
Always-on fullscreen slideshow of weather, today's events, notes, RSS...

Any ideas if these are already out there somewhere? Or others using this device for this purpose? Or using another device for this purpose...

Z.

baksiidaa
2008-01-26, 05:19
GPE-Calendar can sync with Google Calendar via Erminig. It also has a desktop applet, so between it, OM Weather and the built-in RSS applet you could get three of your four always on items on the desktop. They wouldn't be in a full-screen slideshow though.
A quick way to do a sort of full-screen slideshow would be to make a .html file for each item that has the stuff you want to display in it (you can include code to embed your Google Calendar, for example), and then put a redirect tag in each of them so that they proceed to the next one after a set time. Just make the last one redirect to the first and they'll loop forever.

zulu
2008-01-26, 17:19
Still trying to make GEP and Erminig work with my gcal.. Very nice idea on building my 'fullscreen slideshow' using HTML and redirect - I will give that a try.

Anyone knows how to make this work on N800 for the XM radio:
http://www.xstreamxm.com/mobile