PDA

View Full Version : multi-user support

bcvthul
2006-03-11, 21:29
Shall it be possible that 2006 OS supports multi-user (different users can use the 770)

vidioten
2006-03-28, 19:33
Hmm, Dosn't it this already? One local user and several remote users via
vnc, ssh, .. ?

/ Vidoten

bcvthul
2006-03-31, 18:36
Well this is not what I mean. When the Nokia boots you should get an option to login as a specifc user. Then the desktop of this user is used with its own setting (e.g. mail, RSS feed music, pictures etc). So the nokia can be shared between different people.

Hedgecore
2006-03-31, 19:04
Heh, you need to translate for the Win/MAC users.

Profile based logins.

... and to comment, given the intended design, as a home internet tablet, I think that's a great idea. It'd at least keep the kids from finding dad's pr0n bookmarks.

takumikai
2006-04-30, 09:12
lol. As a kid and user of this product though, I don't think it needs profile based log-ins. I mean, I think that'll cause more problems trying to load and stuff... OSes usually load a lot faster when the user doesn't choose because it already has one desktop system that it loads, right after it finishes booting and loading of OS code.

Nevertheless... I think it would be a cool feature. They should make it toggleable though...

rattis
2006-05-01, 11:34
lol. As a kid and user of this product though, I don't think it needs profile based log-ins. I mean, I think that'll cause more problems trying to load and stuff... OSes usually load a lot faster when the user doesn't choose because it already has one desktop system that it loads, right after it finishes booting and loading of OS code.

Nevertheless... I think it would be a cool feature. They should make it toggleable though...

Might want to look into the Unix world a little more. The profiles are there not for desktop preferences but for actual security. A person can share a file or keep it to himself without hiding it based on how he sets the access rights (chmod). As an Internet tablet that is supposed to make sharing a home network easier because they don't have to buy multiple PCs to surf the web, it makes sense. If one family shares a tablet, you don't want kids to log into mom and dad's bank account and mess it up because they got curious and pushed some buttons.

Each account has it's own bookmark and password file for websites thus making it harder for people to accidently log in to a site as the other.

mwiktowy
2006-05-16, 17:22
Each account has it's own bookmark and password file for websites thus making it harder for people to accidently log in to a site as the other.

Would be interesting to have but the concept rapidly falls on its face when you consider how little internal memory you have to work with for the home directories on the 770. Another complication is the fact that this permission separation completely breaks down on the removable FAT32 media. While this is a problem shared with removable media on desktops too, it is worse on the 770 since it depends more on that removable storage to hold the majority of the data.

So while it would work, it might be an awkward fit.