PDA

View Full Version : Is this possible?

Reaver
2008-01-27, 11:25
Is it possible to play "Tibia" on the N800? I'm not as OS savy as most of you with the N800 and was just wondering. Is it at all possible to run a low end MMO like this on the tablet or is this beyond its limits? The site link and requirements are as follow...

1.4 What Do You Need to Play Tibia?
In order to run Tibia you need three things: a computer, a working internet connection and an email address to register your account to. The system requirements to run Tibia are low. The client program you need to have installed on your computer to connect to the game server runs on all Windows 95/98/ME/XP/2000/Vista systems that have DirectX version 5.0 or higher installed. The required hard disk space is also low - a mere 31 MB will be sufficient. However, a CPU of 500 MHz or better as well as a 3D accelerated video graphics adapter (e.g. cards with ATI Radeon or NVIDIA GeForce chipsets) are recommended to ensure optimal performance. As to the required connection speed, any internet connection of 28.8k or faster will work.
To play Tibia under Linux you need libc version 6 or higher and as little as 35 MB of hard disc space. Also X-Windows must be installed on your computer and you need a hardware accelerated graphics driver. To find out how to play Tibia under Linux if you do not have a hardware accelerated graphics driver, please have a look at our FAQ concerning this topic.

http://www.tibia.com/news/?subtopic=latestnews

Thanks

nrune
2008-01-27, 12:53
hardware accelerated graphics driver

this would lead me to answer no. cool idea though. I wonder if there are any other mmorpg's that the 8x0 would work with.

in looking at the faq you can install the widows version under wine in linux. this just about rules out any nokia tablet.

Reaver
2008-01-28, 09:27
Thanks for the reply. Still, it wolud be cool to get an old Final Fantasy type MMO on the tablet. Playing an MMO and talking to other tablet owner live at the same time would have been great. Hopefully it won't be long before one of you genius dudes get one working.
Thanks

RioT
2008-01-28, 15:21
What's funny is even if it's not that great it would have everyone with an n8X0 signing up over night.

Benson
2008-02-01, 17:19
Well, it's not so much a matter of the genius dudes here, in the case of your typical closed-source windows-only game. Wine doesn't help here, because windows binaries are x86 binaries. Emulating x86 on ARM is not fast, so it won't work.

I expect a simplified client (lower graphics capabilities) could handily run on the N8x0. But the developers would have to port it or release the code, and they'd probably rather do neither. Look for MMOs that are open-source; I'd think there would be something out there...
And web-based ones, like Pardus, should work fine, but I'm the kind guy who'd rather find an RPG as a weapon in the game, rather than as a description of the game. ;)

ArnimS
2008-02-01, 20:47
Well, it's not so much a matter of the genius dudes here, in the case of your typical closed-source windows-only game.

Except that it's not a closed-source windows-only game. It's a closed-source windows and linux game.

If you want it, write the developers and tell them you'll pay for a port.

bexley
2008-02-01, 21:00
For good measure:

We need Civ for our tablets!

Benson
2008-02-01, 21:13
Except that it's not a closed-source windows-only game. It's a closed-source windows and linux game.You're right. :o I thought the way it ran with linux was via wine. A closer re-read indicates that that's only for if you don't have hardware acceleration.

If you want it, write the developers and tell them you'll pay for a port.
Sure, which would apply regardless of what platforms it's available on. But it's not likely to happen. Sure, you'll pay. So will a few hundred other people, maybe, but the whole IT market is small. They (and I guess I should say the 'developing company', not the 'developers') probably can't economically justify porting it. But it's worth a try, to anyone who wants it. I don't, it being an RPG, but those who do should indeed write and request it.

mannakiosk
2008-02-01, 22:02
For good measure:

We need Civ for our tablets!

How about FreeCiv? Look at this thread (http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14693&highlight=freeciv). There's allready a "quick-dirty-modest" build of Freeciv. :)

Reaver
2008-02-04, 10:19
Thanks for the heads up guys. I'll look into Pardus Benson.

klulukasz
2008-04-23, 19:25
maybe it would be possible with this?
http://otfans.net/forumdisplay.php?f=129
Open Tibia Client....but I am not sure if this project isn't already dead... but it would be great if someone tried porting it;)

GeraldKo
2008-04-23, 19:46
Is it possible to play "Tibia" on the N800?

It would be more useful for everyone if you started the thread with a title like "Is it possible to play "Tibia" on the N800? " than "Is this possible?"

Reaver
2008-04-24, 09:20
Sorry, I tried to edit the title but couldn't. Thanks for the link klulukasz.