PDA

View Full Version : Newbie list of apps

Onyros
2008-01-27, 12:10
Hi there! Newbie posting here, recent owner of an N800 trying to compile a list of the best apps available for OS2008.

Here's what I've got, and I'll surely appreciate all recommendations:

Email --> Modest & Claws Mail (I already used Claws on my laptop, but the port seems... clunky)
Music --> XMMS (really needs a trayer, though)
Video --> Mplayer (coming from a Linux user it's no surprise, I'd prefer VLC, though)
Chat --> pre-installed app & Pidgin
Organizer --> Osmo (it rules)
Notes --> Xournal (what a surprise, I hated the desktop version) and MaemoPad+
FTP --> MaemoFTP (gFTP's port doesn't cut it)
Screenshots --> Maemo Screengrabber
E-book reader--> FBReader

What else do you guys recommend?

gLobster
2008-01-27, 13:18
Screenshots --> LoadApplet

nokian111
2008-01-27, 13:55
i have been using streamtuner everyday, which has an extensive choice of internet radio stations. also i use the
weather applet.

gemniii42
2008-01-27, 14:45
Battery status
Wifiinfo
GPE suite as an alternative
Maemomapper w/GPS purchase
Gnumeric
Password safe
Doc reader

Where did you find osmo for 0s2008?

Onyros
2008-01-27, 14:53
Nice, keep 'em coming :D

I found Osmo --> here (http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14774&highlight=osmo) <--

It was actually the first app I came looking for here (Google Search, find forum, install Osmo... register :P)

BTW, no wanting to OT too much and just asking... Is there a way to change where the Contacts --> Email app links to. I've uninstalled the default email client and would like that to start Modest, instead.

Duncan
2008-01-27, 15:49
ScummVM provided you have a large collection of old PC games to run on it.

rdcinhou
2008-01-27, 16:10
Free42
xterm
evince
BattleGweled

wavefinder
2008-01-27, 17:58
i have been using streamtuner everyday, which has an extensive choice of internet radio stations. also i use the
weather applet.

ive just installed streamtuner, great addition to the internet radio on the tablet. i see there is a recording facility on streamtuner but how do you use it? when i press the record button a menu comes up and says i havent set a command! err, i'm not that advanced yet!

Onyros
2008-01-29, 18:09
Thanks again for the suggestions!

I've added a few of these to my "catalogue" and added... the Quake port. I was completely surprised with the fact that it runs beautifully on my N800!

Doc Reader is a must-install, too. I already had Antiword installed, but the N800 is the only machine I'd rather have some output on a GUI app than on a terminal.

Wifiinfo was also a good addition, as was ScummVM. I'll soon find out if it plays Full Throttle. If it does, I'll be all set, after having installed Monkey Island there, too :P

Other than nano, I'm really missing a good GUI text editor. I know Leafpad was around for OS2007, but I can't seem to find it for OS2008. At least the files I tried didn't install properly.

Keep 'em coming :D

bartsimpson123844
2008-01-29, 22:08
Music: Kagu
Dictionary: Sdict
IM: Pidgin
VOIP: Gizmo (or Skype)
Word Processors: might want to add Leafpad?
Paint program: Tux Paint (Can't use mtpaint or whatever it was??)

VNC
lybniz or mathjinni
GCalculator (or is is Galculator?)

That is about all I have to add.

cdmackay
2008-01-30, 02:42
leafpad:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14510&highlight=leafpad&page=1

TA-t3
2008-01-30, 11:54
simple-launcher is available for OS2008 too, right? It's the first thing I re-install after any upgrade.

For status bar applets I like load-applet-run, because not only does it show me CPU and makes screenshots, it also lets me execute shell commands without starting an xterm (and it can save the useful commands, like 'killall enprocess' for osso-email problem, for easy one-click execution).

Onyros
2008-01-30, 12:29
leafpad:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14510&highlight=leafpad&page=1

First thing I did, using the search for that, but even though I added the debfarm repo, even manually at the sources.list, leafpad's not showing up

/home/user # apt-get install leafpad
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
E: Couldn't find package leafpad

Does anyone just have the deb available?

ustunozgur
2008-01-30, 12:59
Vagalume, coupled with a last.fm subscription is wonderful, wonderful!