PDA

View Full Version : [KDE] VNC made easy

sungrove
2008-01-30, 18:16
I don't know about you, but I find KDE, by necessity of course, to be very small. I find it pretty hard to read. And I think there are improvements on the way by Penguinbait, but right now it is a bit cumbersome to navigate KDE.
I know probably many of you are already on to VNC so you don't need this information. But if you aren't there yet, this will help make it much easier. The goal here is to view and be able to control the tablet from your Laptop or desktop computer. I understand the opposite is also possible but I don't know about that yet. If you do know, maybe you can add that to this thread.
Software- the tablet already has vnc runing on it so nothing needs to be added or activated on it. You will need to either have Windows XP Pro, which has a program called Remote Desktop already installed on it, or find another vnc program to download. I looked for Remote Desktop on my XP home edition and found it but then realized that it is not a functional version. After doing an internet search I found a program called TightVNC. I found this program to be easy to install and use. It is also freeware so you can donate if you want to. Here is a link to the site : http://www.tightvnc.com/ Just follow the links to the download page and download and do the usual install wizard steps. There are both Windows and Linux programs there.

So now you have your software. Next step is setup. Setup is actually pretty easy. There is nothing to do from the Tablet side. From the Laptop side you will need two things. You need the IP address of Your tablet and the VNC password. The VNC password is 'rootme' as PB has mentioned. The IP address for some reason is harder to find. I couldn't find it in the control panel. Maybe someone can add an easier way to find it to this thread. I used a progam I had already installed to my tablet called Wifiinfo which gives more detail about your wifi links. My IP address was listed under 'client' there. It is in the form of xxx.xxx.x.x I first tried the WLAN MAC address listed under control panel- about product , but that didn't work. So now that you have the password and IP address listed in the setup dialogue box, hit connect. If both your laptop and Nokia are connected to the internet via your wireless router, it should just work. You will be able to see your tablet screen on your desktop computer screen and control it with your keyboard and mouse . This is true whether you are in KDE or not. BTW, find the control in tightvnc to make the tablet view whatever size you want it. It is possible to make it the full size of your computer screen.

Neil

lny98
2008-01-30, 18:31
To correct what I believe is one confusion in the above post, from my understanding, Remote Desktop on Windows computers is *not* the same as VNC. Remote Desktop uses the RDP protocol, which, in general, is made to access Windows computers (XP, Server).

VNC is an entirely different protocol, originally created at AT&T, many years ago, and is pretty much operating system independent (though people have to port versions over to specific platforms).

VNC allows Keyboard-Video-Mouse traffic, while RDP can allow sound, and virtual disk drive (ie: remote session accessing local disks, etc), and has enhanced login security specific to windows.

There are RDP clients for the IT that will allow you to access your windows computer via RDP, but I do not believe the opposite is available. For that, use VNC.

frethop
2008-01-30, 18:56
It should also be noted that the VNC server is not installed by default. It is perhaps installed when you use Penguinbait's KDE. But if you don't, you must install it yourself.

Even then, is the server running automatically when KDE boots up? That would surprise me a bit. I would think you would want to boot it only when you want to use it.

I have not installed KDE right now, so I can't tell. But I do know, that on the latest firmware, VNC is not installed.

penguinbait
2008-01-30, 19:11
To correct what I believe is one confusion in the above post, from my understanding, Remote Desktop on Windows computers is *not* the same as VNC. Remote Desktop uses the RDP protocol, which, in general, is made to access Windows computers (XP, Server).

VNC is an entirely different protocol, originally created at AT&T, many years ago, and is pretty much operating system independent (though people have to port versions over to specific platforms).

VNC allows Keyboard-Video-Mouse traffic, while RDP can allow sound, and virtual disk drive (ie: remote session accessing local disks, etc), and has enhanced login security specific to windows.

There are RDP clients for the IT that will allow you to access your windows computer via RDP, but I do not believe the opposite is available. For that, use VNC.

If you installed KDE you can RDP TO your tablet. As well as from your tablet...

Neat eh?

jh13
2008-01-30, 20:00
as a quick word, tightvnc is a great lightweight vnc client and server - big fan here.

lny98
2008-01-30, 23:17
If you installed KDE you can RDP TO your tablet. As well as from your tablet...

Neat eh?

Learn something new everyday!

Benson
2008-01-31, 18:35
It should be noted that this can only be used over a trusted network. Unless you use WPA, w-lan should never (IMHO) be considered trusted, so do USB, WPA, or SSH.

rdcinhou
2008-02-02, 12:25
I am looking for a way to use my Nokia 9300 PDA/Smartphone as a BT keyboard for my N800 while running dosbox.

Would it be possible for me to run VNC+ (Shape Services Gmbh) on my 9300 (it's supposed to be compatible with the tightvnc on Linux and connect via BT to my N800?

I'd like to know before I spend the US$35 for VNC+ to try it out. [edit: I found out that I can get a free download on a 7-day trial, so I can try it if I now can get VNC running on the N800.

Tried it--VNC+ is for IP traffic only, not BT.
The 9300 can only get IP through GSM/GPRS and direct cable connection.].

Starcruiser1229
2008-02-02, 19:01
Hmmm, does the 9300 support PAN? From what I remember using it on my laptop (I could be wrong), each device in a PAN link is assigned an IP. So, if you can connect via PAN you could then use the ip for the tablet's server (its PAN IP) in the client on the phone, which might work.

The problem is that the tablet does not support PAN, but there is a script up in the developer forum here (http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15858)
that supposedly has it up and working. Might be worth a try if you have PAN on the 9300

Patrick

rdcinhou
2008-02-02, 21:11
The 9300 doesn't suppport PAN...it's too old of a device I guess.

I found an interesting article about "Wibree" -- Nokia trying to establish a BT PAN for portable devices:

http://searchmobilecomputing.techtarget.com/generic/0,295582,sid40_gci1224615,00.html