PDA

View Full Version : Igo BT Keyboard and Gnumeric

Carl in LA
2008-02-01, 17:03
Newbie question on my first post! Do you know what it takes when using Gnumeric and the igo bt ultra-slim keyboard to enter data into a field using the keyboard only...

I can scroll around the spread sheet with the arrow keys but when I try to enter numbers in a field - nothing types (so to speak) - then I have to manually move the curser to the data entry field above the spread sheet with the stylus - and then I can enter data.

I want to to all this without having to pick up the stylus and manually move the curser to the data entry fields - know what I mean???

BTW - I really like adding the keyboard to the N800... makes data entry a lot easier.

bousch
2008-02-01, 18:58
yes this is annoying but I believe you can do this with the kb also but I cannot remember which key. Just keep hitting the kb till you hit the right combo. Maybe F2 but I'm not sure

Carl in LA
2008-02-09, 17:46
Found it... it's the combination of "Fn" and "S"

Much better.

urnass
2008-02-21, 00:41
This is an alternative way to enter data in cell without having to use the stylus.

In X-term, type

maemo-gtk-im-switch xim

You should be able to use the keyboard just like you would in Excel on a PC.

To switch back, type

maemo-gtk-im-switch osso-input-method

This should be scriptable, but that's beyond me right now.

brecklundin
2008-02-21, 07:29
Become root first then you can create the scripts like this:

echo maemo-gtk-im-switch xim > /user/bin/{enter your file name here}.sh

chmod 0777 /user/bin/{enter your file name here}.sh (this makes it executable)

the > symbol is just a "pipe" to redirect the string to a new file or overwrite an existing file. If you wanted to append more to an existing file you would use >> just like in DOS.

So to add another line to an existing file it would be:

echo {insert whatever new lines you want added here} > /user/bin/{enter your file name here}.sh

then you just need type in the file name and the command prompt. It's that easy. Then you can use the same syntax for the return command.

I am sure there are other ways like using vi to create a new file but piping stuff into a file is much easier as long as the syntax is correct.

BTW, you could do the same thing with a directory listing using:

ls {options here} > {some filename} then you can examine the directory contents at your leisure. Or even redirect the output to a printer (or other device) instead. Pipes are kinda useful because they are quick 'n dirty.

a_sharpe
2008-02-23, 02:57
I am having the save results with Nokia bluetooth keyboard in Gnumeric.

Works fine in other apps.

The maemo-gtk-im-switch xim produces: not found.
Function S does nothing with this keyboard.

Any other ideas for getting bluetooth keyboards and gnumeric talking.

Thanks in advance
Al

Carl in LA
2008-02-23, 15:56
umass - i will give that command a try after this post...

brecklundin - appreciate the briefing on scripts... during installation of kde i discovered the joys of the linux command line - spent a lot of time toggling between the n800 and the laptop searching for linux command libraries. so much easier when someone gives you a clue!

a_harpe... thats going to be a problem if you cannot find that keyboard switch. yesterday i spent a good 45 minutes flying through my spread sheet work using the function-s command.

no doubt about it... a keyboard takes the n800 to a whole 'nuther level of usefulness.

carl

brecklundin
2008-02-24, 01:04
hey ya carl,

Thanks...though it has been a good 15 years since I use any sort of Unix-like OS. That just happened to be one of only a small handful of tricks I recall. So, it was pure luck I remembered it.

There was other stuff that involved the ttytab (or something like that) files to create IO or terminal connections...I think...hehehehe...seriously I am almost afraid to look at the command line...thank the gawds we can re-flash if need be...hehehehe...

I actually miss the presence of "man" pages...or if they exist I have yet to find them.