PDA

View Full Version : [Canola] Canola Tuning install

jer006
2008-02-02, 04:24
I was trying to install canola tuning from the garage website and after downloading the .deb file from the web and application manager starting it gives me the error saying that python2.5-id3lib is missing. It looks like this is in the chinook branch (I am running 2008) of the maemo extras repository however it does not show up in my application manager!

What am I missing? What do I need to do to install this package?

Thanks.

handful
2008-02-02, 04:59
Hi Jer,

use the version that is on the website. We explain there that you should install not the latest version. It seems that python packages were changed, and we are doing the updated package for canola tuning.

Check the website : openbossa.indt.org/canola

jer006
2008-02-02, 05:17
Marcelo,
I clicked on the link for the "canola tuning" package from http://openbossa.indt.org/canola/using.html but I get the same error when I try and install the .deb - Python2.5-id3lib is missing. I should have all the correct repositories setup for this but I do not see the package anywhere... I was able to locate an install file for it at http://repository.maemo.org/extras/dists/chinook/install/ but when I tried running this I got a file not found...

Any ideas?

Thanks

Jeremy.

handful
2008-02-02, 05:26
Strange, can you download the file and try to install it locally? Does it give you the same error?

We are working on that : / sorry for that : / murphy is always on our side... nice buddy.

BR

TTgowings
2008-02-02, 05:35
Here's a direct link (http://openbossa.indt.org/canola/install_files/canola-tuning_0.2.2_armel.deb)to not the latest file (0.2.4) but the one it says to use from the Canola site (0.2.2).

jer006
2008-02-02, 05:39
Finally figured it out... I had to open an xterm, switch to the root user and install the package using apt-get. I was then able to get the latest canola tuning package from the garage and install it.

Thanks.

Jeremy.

ghoonk
2008-02-02, 07:43
Hang on. I have 0.2.3 installed now. Should I be upgrading to 0.2.4 or going with 0.2.2?

TTgowings says that the latest version is 0.2.4 and the one on the site is 0.2.2, and I have 0.2.3.

TTgowings
2008-02-02, 07:49
I had the 0.2.4 installed then I saw that Handful said to go with the 0.2.2 so I uninstalled 0.2.4 and installed 0.2.2. I didn't seem to have any issues with the newer version but per Handful's instructions (http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=136986&postcount=2) I went with the 0.2.2.

This is the link for the 0.2.4 (https://garage.maemo.org/frs/?group_id=529&release_id=1458).

handful
2008-02-02, 11:58
HI guys,

Sorry for the misinfo : if you don't have it.. use the 0.2.2 because the 0.24 maybe will not install without some dependencies. (something has changed I guess and python shows 2 dependencies now).

But if you have 2.4 stay with that =)))

zeez
2008-02-02, 12:03
Damn. Is it just me or are the repos (specifically where ever python2.5-id3lib is located) down again ??

handful
2008-02-02, 12:06
No zeez, as we are completely out of luck, it seems that Python has changed it's packages, and now you cannot "install" it from the repos. The application needs to be dependent.. and needs to be a correct package on the repo to work. : /

The guys are working on that.. but they told me that if you download and install from file.. it may work. : /

As always.. we got one score in the "Ow f*** repo" thing : /

zeez
2008-02-02, 12:16
Here's what worked for me:
Get id3lib from
install it via dpkg -i and do the same for the canola-tuner deb.

zeez
2008-02-02, 12:30
Hmm well weird: I can start Album Cover from the menu but it will hang and do nothing. If i start it from the commandline it will not even start... Just reports an error (sorry can't copy paste it right now)

handful
2008-02-02, 12:39
Yah Zeez. thanks...
Now we need to create a working package because most of users will not now how to do it easily =)

Oh my..why it's never smooth ? =)

Update: you problem must be again some python dependencies :/ damn.. that's why we need the packages.

chenca
2008-02-02, 16:08
Canola-Tuning: Advanced Tips and Tricks to Every One

How to install the Last Version 0.2.4:

* download the debian package from Garage (http://garage.maemo.org/projects/canola-tuning)
* copy the package to your device
* as root (using XTerm ou SSH) run the command:

dpkg -i canola-tuning-0.2.4.deb

* enjoy it :-)

What are the default options and How to change it:

* By default Canola-Tuning looks for album covers is this sources:

1) Embedded Covers (ID3)
2) Local Covers (Looks into the album directory)
3) Download Covers from Amazon
4) Download Covers from Last.Fm

* This options are specified int the .desktop file, to change it you need to edit the file " /usr/share/applications/hildon/canola-tuning-album-cover.desktop". Ex.: Remove the option "-f amazon" to not check for amazon covers.

How to remove the (extra) unused covers:

* The option "-c or --clean" remove all unused album covers, run as user in the XTerm :

albumcover.py -c

* Or you can add this option to the .desktop file

I hope that mini tutorial helps some interested hacker :-)
If you had some other problem, please send me a mail or post a Bug in the garage.

jer006
2008-02-02, 16:28
I was able to install 2.4 but had to get the python dependencies using apt-get. After that it worked just fine.

handful
2008-02-02, 16:37
Nice to hear =)))
keep the info coming =)

I now need to take a break ... see you guys later!

jackass124
2008-02-02, 21:11
i got Canola tuning latest version installed no prob...and upgraded to the newest Canola 2 update, but i have the problem of no audio/music for my music files....album covers downloaded fine, video thumbnails worked too....anyone else got this?

Laughing Man
2008-02-02, 21:15
Try following these directions. They worked for me.

http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16075

(don't forget to restart after installing it).

TTgowings
2008-02-02, 22:24
I've tried several times to install the 0.2.4 on a fresh re-flash and it refuses to find that file, even though I dl to the mem card, I gain root and followed what chenca wrote but so far no luck.

So finally I got the python2.5-id3lib installed, I just ended up finding the actual single file and installing it that way, I don't think I was in red pill mode but who friggin knows at this point anywho you can get that file here (http://respository.maemo.org/extras/dists/chinook/install/python2.5-id3lib.install). ;)

Optomisticsi
2008-02-03, 15:41
I've just reflahed my N810 and found the same problem (Won't install the Tuning app due to missing Python file), I found a workaround that's easy and works, if it helps anyone. Before you try installing the Canola Tuning app, install MediaBox as that installs the relevant Python file itself, then install the Tuning app.

Not the perfect solution I know, but as I say, it worked for me.

jer006
2008-02-03, 15:55
The easiest way I found to fix this dependency and install the latest canola-tuning app was as follows:

1) Add the following repository to your application manager http://eko.one.pl/maemo bora user

2) Refresh application manager and Install the package becomeroot (its in the above repo which is a bora repo but works perfectly in chinook so dont worry about it)

3) Open an xterm window and type sudo gainroot

4) Now install the missing python repository as follows:

First type apt-get update
Next install the package apt-get install python2.5-id3lib
(replace python2.5-id3lib with any other missing packages you may need)

This should install the missing dependencies, after that you should be able to get and install the latest canola tuning package from the garage!

After installing, it worked perfectly for me and I was able to update all my cover art.

kingka
2008-02-04, 03:47
how do I install the package apt-get install python2.5-id3lib ?

jer006
2008-02-04, 03:54
kingka, see my previous post... This describes how to install this package!!!! I had the similar problem...

qwerty12
2008-02-04, 09:13
I just installed canola-tuning 0.2.4 without any problems :\

kingka
2008-02-04, 14:15
freezes whenever I do the "apt-get install python2.5-id3lib"

kingka
2008-02-04, 14:32
oh well. I have 2.2 installed... only half the album covers show :(

handful
2008-02-04, 18:00
King : renato is working on this to provide a good package form application installer : /

loughmillermedia
2008-02-04, 18:04
What is this "Tuning" application?

handful
2008-02-04, 21:28
Lough :

Canola tuning is application made by a third party person =) that fulfill 2 canola's needs:

1) Album cover art : the Tuning, loads the canola database, search each song, tries to find a album art inside the folder of the album, then tries to find the album art embedded as id3 tag... and the last attempt is to download from internet.

2) Video thumbnailer : creates thumbnails for all your videos.

Why is not inside canola this kind of feature?

1) Download of album art is not legal, as the IP (intelectual property) of album art belongs to the record labels. Thus Canola, cannot do it.

2) Video thumbnail depends solely on Mplayer, and we don't install Mplayer by default also... because of legal issues, so Canoal tunning makes sure for you that you will have mplayer.

Br

Marcelo

steppek
2008-02-06, 21:41
Lough :

Why is not inside canola this kind of feature?

1) Download of album art is not legal, as the IP (intelectual property) of album art belongs to the record labels. Thus Canola, cannot do it.

I agree to a point. I listen to podcasts with Canola and I understand what you mean as of Copyrighted material, but podcast album art isn't under that same restriction. That is why I would like this functionality (not necessarily download anything, just view it).

handful
2008-02-06, 21:52
Hi steppek: yes today tuning is doing that, but I think for podcast there's no problem in getting the episode's art. It is already on the list (I received a couple of email requesting that)

BR

Marcelo

loughmillermedia
2008-02-08, 16:04
I've just reflahed my N810 and found the same problem (Won't install the Tuning app due to missing Python file), I found a workaround that's easy and works, if it helps anyone. Before you try installing the Canola Tuning app, install MediaBox as that installs the relevant Python file itself, then install the Tuning app.

This worked for me and I am not very technical.

Gujustud
2008-02-13, 17:54

That worked for me as well! Thank you!

Just to make it simple:

1) Install Mediabox
2) Install Canola Tuning
3) DONE!