PDA

View Full Version : [Canola] Canola2 Appreciation

Optomisticsi
2008-02-02, 13:10
I'm sure most of us are really loving the Canola2 app, even though it's beta it's still a crackin' media player!

I thought this thread could serve as a way for people to say thanks to the Canola team, I know I want to! The work that the guys (And girls too, no doubt) are putting in to get the application out, giving people the features they want, and the support they're giving users really is a good thing to see!

Well done guys, keep up the great work!!

handful
2008-02-02, 13:30
Hi Optomo!

I will send this thread to each one, and to the 2 girls in the project ... and ask them to write here also. I think people knows we are eager to hear nice experiences with canola, and that is already incredible nice... but everybody likes compliments, and I think we are giving not only our best choice in our tasks (designing, coding, etc) but also here.. communicating, listening...

And even with all the fuss about being open source or not, I'm really proud to say that I think we DO listen to every user, and do talk back to them, discuss and try to shape canola for them. Of course sometimes we cannot fulfill everyone's wish... but that happens in any project. I think we can be called a Community-Empowered project... And we treat every single one of you guys that post here problems, suggestions etc as co-developers, just like Eric Raymond states in the one I believe to be a very very important aspect of open source / community work.

Thanks in my name, Thank in behalf of the Team... but I send them the link =) they will like it!

ulissesf
2008-02-02, 13:44
Thank you, Optomisticsi! We're very happy you guys are appreciating what we've done.

-- Ulisses

Software Developer/Architect at OpenBossa Labs
http://openbossa.indt.org

MikeL
2008-02-02, 14:05
I add my thanks here to all the team working on Canola.

I think that it is really great that on behalf of the NIT user community you released a version of Canola 2 beta that runs well on the Nokia 770 and OS2006/2007HE (In line with the promises and in spite of the underlying OS issues)

I am looking forward to the surprises that may come to Canola users as the application extends its embrace over other areas of the NIT's strength. (A real use anywhere/anytime device)

I wish all the team the very best and thank you for all your efforts.

Wish I could be with you at the fiestas in Brasil. :D

ghoonk
2008-02-02, 14:06
handful, I want to thank you and your team for all the time and effort put into making this such a fantastic product. The latest beta seems to be running faster than the previous version, and I'm glad I loaded up the DivX versio n of my on-the-go movie library for the flight ahead (I'm posting this from the Dubai International Airport).

If this was donationware, I would be happy to throw in a couple of tens to keep this project going and as a token of my appreciation.

Cheers

Kenneth

mperes
2008-02-02, 14:19
Thanks for the nice words, Optomisticsi. It is great to see that people are actually enjoying the "Canola experience" :)

handful
2008-02-02, 14:30
Hi Kenneth!

Nice to hear =) for sure this can be dangerous to our managers to read but we are happy to see that people see value in the work.

Br

Marcelo

RNAmancer
2008-02-02, 20:09
I got the first version of the beta and i was a little disappointed due to problems with the ID3 tags, but this new version solves all the issues. Thanks a lot handful and everyone else in the team, i do believe Canola is a key app for those of use who are average users, the interface, the quality and features are great. Again, thanks for making my n800 more friendly.

Laughing Man
2008-02-02, 20:57
Thank you Canola team! It's a great application! And I like showing it off :D.

raulito
2008-02-02, 23:08
Thanks a lot guys.
It's a great program.

I sure couldn't have done it. :)

You deserve all kinds of kudos. :)

zeez
2008-02-02, 23:23
Awesome job everyone involved! Even for product that you pay tons of money for you won't get this kind of support! Now back to bug hunting :)

handful
2008-02-02, 23:42
yah, already a couple of dozens of them =)

homelinux
2008-02-03, 01:58
Just like the other guys that have already posted, I want to give kudos to the Canola team. I'm a new N800 user but long time Linux fan and supporter (my mom runs Linux on her laptop). When I want to show off my IT I always launch Canola2. If you guys ever need translations into Spanish, feel free to let me know.

Keep up the outstanding work.

handful
2008-02-03, 06:54
Homelinux : thanks! We will for sure need when the internacionalization support comes..
=)

freychef
2008-02-03, 07:01
Thanks to the Canola team. This is an amazing application. You guys do great work.

MiBi
2008-02-03, 08:52
Great idea for a thread. This software has so much development time involved, it's the least we can do.

THANK YOU !!!! with a big smile :D all at Canola2 for the permanent feedback / community contact and the great work you have achived so far. Keep it going (now this is easy said, i am a developper myself and know how difficult it can be from time to time to keep motivation high and up)

from Germany (reason for my bad english...sorry) MiBi

naovouporai
2008-02-03, 10:46
thank you all responsible for such a great application!

thank you for all the hard work put into it, the coding, the design, the ease to use, the headaches and constant support when launching updates... you guys rock! :cool:

and yes, as many has said, i love to fire up canola2 when i want to show off my IT :D and as expected everybody loves it... very much!

thank you for all the great work, and for some sleepless nights anxiously waiting for an update to be available... eheheh :rolleyes:

Yaholo
2008-02-03, 11:48
Thank you for your work. The Canola Beta 2 is great!

jer006
2008-02-03, 16:00
I second all the thanks, this is a great product for the IT.

Keep up all the great work!

Jeremy.

luis-garcia
2008-02-03, 16:13
in my oppinion canola 1 is better and more beautiful than the second.. but that's just my oppinion :)

handful
2008-02-03, 18:20
Luis : I really thank you =) but Canola1 had also terrible limitations, and tu support half of what we supported today, the UI was really not suitable. So we tried to keep the good findings and just re-organized the screen to fit a little bit more of content, or.. flexibility.

But I think we can show off some "EDJE" power in the future... and create a Theme that mimics the old one =))) but we just lack time...too many features still be needed so people will finally say it's a "good media player" .. we are still a "good candidate"

BR

ghoonk
2008-02-04, 00:34
FWIW, this latest version seems to run at least twice as fast as the old one did. I'm really glad I have Canola on my N800 :)

handful
2008-02-04, 06:59
Hi ghoonk, Gustavo did some work on optimization... we always believe we could do more, but optimizing now is also "tricky" because it can trigger bugs =)
So, there are still spots where we want to optimize or provide better visual feedback that will also give the impression of being faster the whole application.

But I think the fact that the first delay is gone already helped a lot. That bothered me to hell =))))

luis-garcia
2008-02-04, 12:05
Marcelo i'm sure canola2 will be better than 1 but i will tell u what,i like more good looking and friendly and simply apps to what to have to do with media,canola1 is good lookind and run fast in my 770 and i didn't have any problem with it,in canola2 at the beginning when it launchs took a lot of time to read all the media and finally finish and ready to use although i just have one pic and one song,that's all i have in my device (just for now) i remember at the beginning also when i tried to play the only song i have it took time till it started playing but not after it make my connection to connect itself to my wifi,every time :) i know u and the team are working hard to fix the bugs and i know that it still a beta,i'm not complaining,no doubt canola is the best media player for small media devices out there,my brother has an iphone and we're always comparing but when i showed him canola2 he had no words in his mouth :) he said: "wow,this media player i must say looks like a beautiful woman.." :) and if in the final release u add some visualizations like in windows media player no doubt it will be the "Angelina Jolie of the media players" :)
keep the awesome job u and your partners Marcelo,obrigado for everything :)

handful
2008-02-04, 18:09
Marcelo i'm sure canola2 will be better than 1 but i will tell u what,i like more good looking and friendly and simply apps to what to have to do with media,canola1 is good lookind and run fast in my 770 and i didn't have any problem with it,in canola2 at the beginning when it launchs took a lot of time to read all the media and finally finish and ready to use although i just have one pic and one song,
did you try setting up the settings to watch only the specific folders? if doesn't look in the whole card.. it goes faster.
Canola1 was "hiding" this from you everytime.. but this caused a lot of problems for several users thus we removed this.

that's all i have in my device (just for now) i remember at the beginning also when i tried to play the only song i have it took time till it started playing but not after it make my connection to connect itself to my wifi,every time i know u and the team are working hard to fix the bugs and i know that it still a beta,i'm not complaining,no doubt canola is the best media player for small media devices out there,my brother has an iphone and we're always comparing but when i showed him canola2 he had no words in his mouth he said: "wow,this media player i must say looks like a beautiful woman.." and if in the final release u add some visualizations like in windows media player no doubt it will be the "Angelina Jolie of the media players"
keep the awesome job u and your partners Marcelo,obrigado for everything

Well, thanks for the nice compliments, but we have several device's limitations also =)
It takes time because we are "creating" working arounds for bugs, and you are on a very slow machine with a HUGE screen. so just to compare :

iphone has a 600mhz with a 320x480 screen, and it seems to have the acceleration
your 770 has a 220mhz with a 800x480 screen

So you can do the math =) there's no miracle.. Canola1 runs fast because we took care of drawing just small portions of the screen at a given time...

The first playback takes time :/ we will try to improve it.. but it's our engine starting. First time will take time for a while...

About visualizations : if you do NOTHING but music.. maybe they are possible, but again : you are on a simple device.. to draw the whole screen with random poligons and effects will be very hard =)))

But we will improve it =)

luis-garcia
2008-02-05, 17:17
yes i know 770 is a weak device,i'm trying to sell it and get a new n810 or n800 at least but maybe if i get enough money i'll go to the n95 and that's another story,doesn't belong to internet tablet and because i already had a wsod i'm very afraid to do something,i treat that device like a baby..

hgtablet
2008-02-05, 17:24
Canola Team:

Thanks for your work on Canola2 and your involvement with the community.

P.S. The only thing that would make it better, would be to make it Free Software. :-)

GeraldKo
2008-02-05, 17:43
Marcelo and all the other Brazilian members of the Canola Team: Here's to wishing you all a

Carnaval Feliz!

(Thanks for all your hard work, but stop reading our postings and get out there and party!)

handful
2008-02-05, 17:54
@hgtablet
I think 95% of the team agrees with you, and I agree with you with time =)
Why? Because I do believe making it fully opensource would improve it a lot, but in some areas would still be the same (specially the UI design) as I believe you need a strong leader in some areas to keep the project in track and don't let it fall on the pitfall of trying to solve it all =)

But for the other famous attributes/advantages of being opensource (like listed in Cat. and the Baz.) I totally agree with you, so much that I do one of the things I find most important : treat users as your co-developers ! And here I am, daily, hourly gathering, sharing and doing whatever is possible to suit the app to people's need

BR

cashel
2008-02-05, 18:08
Thank you, Canola team. You've done exceptional work here, this media player is one of my favorite applications. Canola looks beautiful, with stylish effects. It loads quickly, and has been playing flawlessly for me since the update. Your team's attitude towards the community has always been cheerful and receptive. You guys are great, we're lucky to have you here.