PDA

View Full Version : Sudden Speed Increase.

lrentz
2008-02-02, 14:35
Last night I was tinkering with my N800 that I bought just before Christmas. I have been pretty happy with it. The first thing I did after purchase was to flash to OS2008 and add a 2 gig and 512 meg sd cards. So I do not know the difference in between the previous OS and the latest. I have been a little impatient with the speed of the device. Especially while switching to full screen, opening apps and browsing the internet. Oh, and boot up took probably 3-4 minutes. Normally it would just hang for awhile and then bring whatever I was trying to open up. I have been installing updates on a regular basis, pretty much every day when I saw that something had an update.

All of a sudden last night after I rebooted "which I do periodically", my n800 like doubled in speed. In every situation. Boots less than a minute. Opens apps, switches to full screen and zooms in quickly. I do not know what happened to make things faster but man I am so much happier now. What ever it was, I am not complaining. I wish it would have happened a lot sooner. Now I like the device so much more. Hopefully it stays this fast. Any idea what could have happened to speed things up?

lrentz

GeneralAntilles
2008-02-02, 14:44
Would you have been using swap on the internal card? I know a number of people who have experienced slowdowns due to a corrupt internal card.

Eric G
2008-02-02, 14:58
I noticed an increase in speed and reliability when I upgraded my internal SD to a full size 4GB card. The previous 2G card was in an adapter and it seemed to lock up often and the map application would usually "forget" the already loaded maps. My theory is that the tab that holds it in was not long enough to put sufficient pressure on the adapter and warped it.

If yours was having problems accessing the memory card for the swap file, it may be a clue. Make sure the internal card is pushed in tight and the tab is pulled out the entire way. If you are using a mini- or micro- SD card in an adapter you may want to consider going to a full size card... The one I got at (big box) was under $40.

lrentz
2008-02-02, 15:05
Yes, my swap is on the internal card. Also, it is a mini sd in an adapter. So I guess I could have had both problems. But if it was corrupt. Seems to me it would still be corrupt. I sure didn't change anything. I have not even opened the battery compartment since I installed the card. So you do recommend getting a full size card? I had pulled it out of a my phone when I upgraded it to a 4 gig sdhc. Thanks for the input guys.

lrentz

Eric G
2008-02-02, 22:01
My microSD card seems to read just fine in any adapter, so I don't think it was a corruption issue, just that it failed to mount at times. Before I saw the cheap 4G card I thought putting a small piece of plastic (like from a blister pack) between the tab and the card may help even out the pressure and make it work better, but I didn't bother. Rebooting always fixed the map issues, and usually made the IT work better for a little while, but I didn't really research speed problems (I just thought it was not ready for primetime).