PDA

View Full Version : New Game: OpenTyrian 2D space shoot-emup!

ArnimS
2008-02-03, 09:03
New Port, SDL port of Tyrian - a space shootEmUp by Epic MegaGames!

Scrolling screen, a nice variety of powerup weapons and lots of enemies. Has a nice little backstory too.

From Epic MegaGames comes Tyrian featuring Intense arcade action with Multiple Parallax backgrounds, Enhanced Pentium mode, Awesome Soundtrack, Killer Graphics, HUGE heart stopping explosions and Modem/Network support! Choose from over 300 different weapon combinations to build the most advanced combat vessel the universe will ever experience! Multiple gameplay options offer you hours of excitement and exploration. Tyrian brings the most complete overhead arcade shooter to life on your PC!

http://pupnik.de/tyrianN810.jpg

http://pupnik.de/Tyrian_on_N810_demo.avi

running smoothly on N810. (camera can't keep up :P). Has difficulty and speed adjustments to make it survivable on the tablet too.

This is just a performance tweak build - trying to get the best fps out of it. Bottom of screen cuts out for some reason. Just untar it and run from cmdline for now.

http://pupnik.de/opentyrian_0.1.deb

http://code.google.com/p/opentyrian/
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/tyrian2000/player_review.html?id=452960
http://www.dosgamesonline.com/index/game/525/Tyrian.html
http://members.iinet.net.au/~vannevar/tyrian/ <<< Big bad page with lots of info about the game and the planned sequel.

(edit) 08.03.03 updated tgz with software-scaled version (scale2x). xsp accelerated version is now ./tyrian_xsp and scale2x version ./tyrian

(edit) 08.03.12 New .deb with installer (thanks ukki) - requires only 351kB installed! (~9MB free to install). Use dpad to steer. If someone wants to fix mouse and xsp let meh know.

I am totally groovin on the music. Alexander Brandon is one of the best!

Rocketman
2008-02-03, 09:40
Thanks, I loved this game a long time ago. I find it is best to play it with my SU-8W Bluetooth keyboard as the D-pad on the N810 is just too crappy. The one on the N800 might not be too bad, though.

Any thoughts to doing a hildonized version of this? I would love to play it full screen. Also, it appears (as I think you were trying to note) that the bottom of the screen is cut off. I also get a brief flicker on my screen every 3 seconds or so.

Rocketman
2008-02-03, 10:41
Thanks for the updated version. It no longer flickers on my n810 and works full-screen!

yabbas
2008-02-04, 09:14
Also loved this game back in the day :)

Now we need a SWARS port ;)

wazd
2008-02-04, 14:32
aw crap! This is just awesome! But can you please tell what to type in xterm to launch cause I can't get it(

ArnimS
2008-02-04, 18:13
You need to unpack it to a directory on your root filesystem, like

/home/user or
/home/user/MyDocs/.games (if a directory called MyDocs doesn't make you want to nuke a planet)

From there

cd ./tyrian21_maemo
./tyrian

wazd
2008-02-04, 22:34
Thanks! Slightly uncomfortable to play on N800 but it works like hell!

xopher_mc
2008-02-04, 23:59
Great game! Thanks for the port.

works great on my N810.

"I find it is best to play it with my SU-8W Bluetooth keyboard as the D-pad on the N810 is just too crappy." Try seting the keys up on the options to be actual keys on the n810 keyboard. Much better than the D-pad

:D

Pushwall
2008-02-06, 02:55
Oh my I am only good on slow mode on my N800. This looks great and the sounds/music are awesome! Very smooth graphics!! The only wish I have is for the stylus/mouse control to work better. When I hold the stylus on the screen my ship travels to the far right of the screen firing weapons. Any chance for the stylus to control ship movement? Anyway, great game port and I truly appreciate it!

dcarter
2008-02-06, 05:06
I try to run it via xterm within the correct directory
wit command
./tyrian

but I always get a "Permission denied" response.

Why only me???

/linux neophyte

dcarter

mooler
2008-02-06, 05:28
chmod +x tyrian

try to run it again

dcarter
2008-02-06, 05:34
were permissions not automatically granted to me because I unzipped it on the laptop and then moved it over?

Thanks for the magic chmod +x permission grant!

dcarter

mooler
2008-02-06, 05:39
I think that is exactly what happened.

you are welcome.

Stal
2008-02-23, 09:54
thanks for the great game, runs nicely on my n810 :D

Is there a way to add this to the applications menu at all? From what i can gather (being a linux n00b) it has something to do with the .desktop files in /usr/share/applications/hildon/ (think that was the location).

Can i create a file and place it in there which will then add this to the menu?

Bundyo
2008-02-23, 10:40
Yes, you can copy one of the others in there and modify it. You can choose to remove the dbus service line or to create a service too (though it is tricky to get it running).

Stal
2008-02-23, 11:21
thanks for the reply, does anyone have any help with editing the file?

I tried opening it in notes, but didnt work, so i managed to copy one of the .desktop files to another location and rename it to a .txt file, open it in notes, but not entirely sure what to enter in there.

Plus, when i tried to rename it to a .desktop file and copy it back to the hildon directory it wouldnt let me :(

Maybe i need the gainroot tool was it?

Bundyo
2008-02-23, 12:45
Yup, should be root to these things :)

Stal
2008-02-23, 13:34
looks like i need to download the becomeroot application, but im not seeing it in the application list. :(

Is there antother repository i need to add?

Bundyo
2008-02-23, 16:01
http://www.gronmayer.com/it

Use Search :)

Stal
2008-02-23, 16:14
great thnx, although i would still like some help as to what to put in the .desktop file.

can i execute "/home/user/games/tyrian/./tyrian" ?

will it auto show up in menu on reboot?

HaloXeon
2008-02-24, 20:14
Sorry about the noobness of this, the n800 is my first experience of linux (seems a little over comlicated :P ). Main problem being how do i copy the folder to home. can't use file manager(mmc's and basic stuff, no home/user), can't use usb (mmc only). Thanks for your help!, all my searches for a solution end up with jargon!

zz0theta
2008-03-06, 02:10
I am receiving trouble here.

I get the permission denied error.

So I do
chmod +x tyrian

and I receive another weird error:
"chmod: tyrian: operation not permitted"

hangster
2008-03-08, 02:39
I am receiving trouble here.

I get the permission denied error.

So I do
chmod +x tyrian

and I receive another weird error:
"chmod: tyrian: operation not permitted"

become root first, then try chmod.
(youll need becomeroot)

also, what is the equivalent to the escape button? I remember when i used to play tyrian on my computer pushing escape brings you to an in-game menu that lets you exit the level or change the volume...

Benson
2008-03-08, 02:59
You don't need root to chmod, unless you installed it someplace you (user) can't access. (In which case you must have had root to get it there.)

The problem I think you're seeing is trying to run it from the MMC perhaps? You can't set permissions on the MMC because it's vfat.

What I did was to leave the entire tyrian directory on the MMC, and copy the binary to somewhere in home.

Then#!/bin/sh
cd /usr/mmc1/tyrian
exec /home/user/tyrian
or similar works.

The escape button is the normal one; the curly arrow (upper of three-button cluster) on the N800. Not sure what it looks like on the N810, if you have that.
Also, the menu button (below escape, on the N800) toggles the mode of your rear gun. Took me a bit to find that.

Benson
2008-03-08, 03:01
Sorry about the noobness of this, the n800 is my first experience of linux (seems a little over comlicated :P ). Main problem being how do i copy the folder to home. can't use file manager(mmc's and basic stuff, no home/user), can't use usb (mmc only). Thanks for your help!, all my searches for a solution end up with jargon!

Start xterm.
Use the cp command to copy the files, as:
cp -r /where/ever/is/tyrian /where/I/want/tyrian

HaloXeon
2008-03-09, 16:21
Thanks you so much benson! this game brings back memories!

ArnimS
2008-03-09, 22:34
Thanks you so much benson! this game brings back memories!

Hi. Just wanted to let you know that I have been working on this and have a pixel-doubled version that's a bit faster, but the intro screen has ugly corruption on it. Should I share a faster version with ugly intro screen? Or release it when that's fixed?

Please also let me know also if it crashes or does other nastiness like eating small household pets. And if there are suggestions for better ways to map controls or other improvement ideas, I'd be glad to consider them. Thanks

HaloXeon
2008-03-09, 22:54
This is great work ArnimS! its running very smoothly on my n800. looks nice, could fill more of the screen but its good anyway. Only real fix that would be helpful, some kind of autofire, gets tiresome holding down any of the keys.

Benson
2008-03-10, 13:10
It runs great so far; no pet-eating observed here.

I'd be interested in the pix-doubling version for kicks, but the existing one only seems to lag when detail is set to pentium and speed is set to normal (I normally play on slow, thanks to N800's sub-optimal keypad) and then only occasionally. (Or if I run too much stuff in background, of course.)

Will the new version make the touchscreen work right?

HaloXeon, you know your shields recharge much faster when you aren't firing, right? To me, remembering to toggle an autofire on and off would be much more tiresome.

FWIW, I hold the device with my left index finger on the fire (fullscreen) button and my thumb on the d-pad, and have been known to play over an hour before my hand gets tired. <shrug>

fms
2008-03-10, 13:51
Any hope to get this port properly "maemoized" so that it places data into /media/mmc2/share/tyrian and has a start icon? Starting it from xterm every time is a real bother =)

ArnimS
2008-03-14, 16:38
Any hope to get this port properly "maemoized" so that it places data into /media/mmc2/share/tyrian and has a start icon? Starting it from xterm every time is a real bother =)

Ok same binary, but with application installer now available (thanks ukki!). http://pupnik.de/tyrian.html

Pushwall
2008-03-14, 17:11
I always forget this game is on my N800 without the menu icon and now I'll remember. Thanks ArnimS and ukki!! Much appreciated. :cool:

fms
2008-03-15, 01:44
Thanks! =)

El Amir
2008-04-02, 23:29
Amazing Game I must say. Im sure its harder to play on n800 than n810 ;)
Btw I have 2 questions:

1. What kind of settings do N800 users have?
I have FIRE on the button between zoom in/out, CHANGE WEAPON on the center of the dpad and LEFT SIDEBOT on zoom out and RIGHT SIDEBOT on zoom in.

1. Is there a way to set an auto fire? Im getting cramps after just half a level :)

zitensya_kaibutsu
2008-04-03, 19:58
Has anyone experienced trouble with input in OpenTyrian on the N800? I can hit the d-pad to go quickly through the splash screens, but once the game menu comes up I can't interact with the d-pad, the stylus, or my ThinkOutside Sonoma bluetooth keyboard. I can still hit "Home" to get out of the game, but in the game input seems to be frozen while the music still plays. Any thoughts?

I did have CJK support, but uninstalled it to get the Hildon IM back. Still didn't work.

fms
2008-04-03, 20:04
I have noticed that the touch screen behaves weirdly (can't figure out how it is supposed to control the pointer or the ship), but buttons appear to work correctly.

Benson
2008-04-03, 22:43
z_k, try tapping somewhere on screen, that usually helps.

zitensya_kaibutsu
2008-04-04, 16:50
I tried tapping in all sorts of ways - nothing worked. Then I tried reflashing with OS2008, and it DID work! It seems input is only unresponsive on OS2007. The touch screen is quite wacky - it always autofires & either brings the ship all the way to the left or right depending on what side of the screen I tap.

Everything works beautifully with the N800 buttons and my bluetooth keyboard though. Many thanks to ukki and the OpenTyrian folks for bringing this gem back to life!

Benson
2008-04-04, 17:22
The screen position handling is wierd; it's as though it's not obeying pixdoubling for the click coordinates. I think the ship tries to move to your cursor coordinates, but it has them wrong. But tapping the screen, of course, is a mouse click, hence fires.

ArnimS
2008-04-05, 12:53
The screen position handling is wierd
That's an understatement. I spent a few hours looking into it, and I still don't understand it. Sorry.

mikedep333
2008-04-05, 16:32
http://pupnik.de/tyrian.html
The Microsol Corp. is a mighty corporation which is trying to take over the planet
Hmm, I wonder where they got the inspiration for that.

Anunakin
2008-05-21, 16:57
Thanks man... this game is very nice!!!

Karrade
2008-05-24, 22:31
It even has destruct!!

If you don't know what i am talking about type "DESCRUCT" at the main menu. I don't think all the keys work (i can't even figure out how to quit it).

http://telcontar.net/Misc/vacant/Destruct.php

lazuli
2008-07-12, 18:11
tried the game but the stylus controls are funky on the n800!

can someone please put autofire or fix the stylus input please? we love the game!

mikkov
2008-07-13, 00:07
you can reassign firing key from options menu

Omega
2008-07-31, 16:22
I remember when this game first came out. It was used to promote the MMX architecture on P166 and P200 CPUs. Good memories.

Any chance of controlling it with a wiimote? :D

ukki
2008-07-31, 16:39
Any chance of controlling it with a wiimote? :D

Can't see why not.

wazd
2008-08-01, 09:06
Tyrian is eating my brain, demon! :D