PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question

bonaojnfr525
2008-02-05, 23:54
What happens when your system memory (256mb) fills up, where do you install software to

but this isnt the question, the question is

In my system memory trying to install scummvm(which i have not successed installing) i made a folder and now i want to delete it but it wont allow me to it saays read-only
this is the directory

how do i remove the folder wich is called lure
home/user/MyDocs/lure

thank you

bonaojnfr525
2008-02-06, 00:02
p.s if anyone is willing to help me via IM/MSG I will really appreciate it i want to get scummvm to work!

Benson
2008-02-06, 17:30
What happens when your system memory (256mb) fills up, where do you install software to
To nowhere :) Things stop working.
Installing new software starts half-failing, because it has very little space; it downloads the software, installs it, filling up the space, then removing the .deb it downloaded. Now your memory's not quite full, but the program is not installed right.

but this isnt the question, the question is

In my system memory trying to install scummvm(which i have not successed installing) i made a folder and now i want to delete it but it wont allow me to it saays read-only
this is the directory

how do i remove the folder wich is called lure
home/user/MyDocs/lure

thank you

A more helpful title for the thread, especially since the first line of the message is not even about the topic, would have been something like: "Can't delete folder; says read-only"
Anyway, go to the xterm and run
rm -rf /home/user/MyDocs/lure/

I know nothing of scummvm, but I think there's an IT-related IRC a bunch of the guys hang out on. Might have better luck there than with a punctuation-challenged IM request in a mis-titled forum thread...

everythingsablur
2008-02-06, 17:35
You don't install anything else. :)

Since you sound like the type who is installing everything under the sun (nothing wrong with that), you might want to consider getting a big SD card, partitioning a large space on it to boot from, and cloning the OS onto it. I've got a 16 GB SDHC card in my internal SD slot that I've partitioned so that I've got 3 GB on the system volume and about 12 GB is recognized as my "internal media card". So now I've got 3 GB worth of space I can install whatever I want in (i.e. I won't run out of room very easily) as opposed to the 256 MB built-in (which I can still boot off of in emergency is I somehow pooch my SD card).

Instructions can easily be found throughout the forum, and while they aren't too difficult, they are not to be taken lightly if you aren't comfortable with the good'ol command line.

bonaojnfr525
2008-02-09, 16:46
thank you guys after deleting that it worked =] i do agree that the tittle was a bit unhelpful

I dont have that many applications installed only scummvm, deviscape, phonelink, gpe calendar, pidgin, evince, canola, and vnc viewer. with all this i have 65 mb left

I did buy a 4gb for my n810 and plan to install KDE in it, would it be reasonable if i make a partition of lets say 512mb or 700mb and install the OS there?

thanks a lot

PinCushionQueen
2008-02-09, 17:45
thank you guys after deleting that it worked =] i do agree that the tittle was a bit unhelpful

I dont have that many applications installed only scummvm, deviscape, phonelink, gpe calendar, pidgin, evince, canola, and vnc viewer. with all this i have 65 mb left

I did buy a 4gb for my n810 and plan to install KDE in it, would it be reasonable if i make a partition of lets say 512mb or 700mb and install the OS there?

thanks a lot

If it was me... I would just use the internal 2GB card for both your KDE install and partition. If you're going to the trouble to partition and format a card then use the boot from MMC KDE install instead of the deb install - which Penquinbait made mainly for people who found partitioning/formatting and booting from an MMC too hard to figure out.

I would only keep 200MB of FAT and make the other 1.8GB eft2. That will give you ~400MB of extra space to install apps (after your clone and KDE install).

When I first parttioned my internal card for KDE install I left 500MB of FAT available and find that I never use most of it (swap uses 128MB) so I wish I had just made more eft2. I probably will repartiton one of these days to gain more space - but for now I've got 95MB left for new apps and I'm too lazy to be bothered with it yet.

bonaojnfr525
2008-02-10, 00:06
yes this is plausible i would want to do this, but my maps are in my internal 2gb card