PDA

View Full Version : What video file types can I play on the 770?

animan
2006-03-18, 02:08
I obtained a 1G RS-MMC card today and loaded a bunch of .mp4 videos that I had converted earlier that plays on the Ipod and PSP. Unfortunately I cannot even open these files from the Video player on the 770, and trying to open the files from the File Manager, gives me "Unsupported file type"

According the the FAQ, the 770 should support:

Audio: MP3, Real Audio, MPEG4, AAC, WAV, AMR, MP2
Images: JPEG, GIF, BMP, TIFF, PNG, Animated GIF format, SVG-tiny, ICO
Video: MPEG1, MPEG4, Real Video, H.263, AVI and 3GP

What gives?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Mark S
2006-03-18, 02:40
I agree! I have hundreds of music files that are not recognized but are allegedly in a form that the 770 can play.

I am increasingly thinking the 770 is a world class, innovate form factor with the best screen I have ever seen on a handheld device (i've owned them all), but with too little memory and an o/s and software suite that will not satisfy the typical consumer. The software and o/s just seem too immature right now.

I have no doubt the 770 is fabulous for someone with linux expertise or even a novice programer.

dandrewk
2006-03-18, 04:59
I agree, but keep in mind this is a first generation of a new class gadget. I think Nokia has done a remarkable job. The limitations are largely due to it's new-ness. It's only a question of time before upgraded OS and Linux apps (including a 770 version of the PSPvideo9) solve all these problems.

animan
2006-03-18, 05:53
I agree as well, I love this little gadget! I only hope that Nokia keeps it going... adds more processing power, memory, hard drive, I/O, perhaps a slightly bigger screen and let the linux community take over. It'll be a knockout!

On the original note... can someone please tell me what type of video formats other .avi the Video player recognizes?

Thanks.

Mark S
2006-03-18, 14:43
I have my fingers crossed. The web is the future. The device won't need a ton of apps, but the apps need to work and need to do what users need and want.

I for one would pay for (i) a video player that plays psp video properly (that Ice Age trailer plays great so it must be possible) and (ii) a word processor program compatible with MS Word (abiword doesn't work right).

Element
2006-03-18, 15:30
I was able to watch only RealPlayer format video clips...

unuselessj
2006-03-18, 15:37
If you have the AVIs or the MPEGs of the "original" files, you should take a look through the Media Converter application thread a few topics down http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=569 .

dandrewk
2006-03-18, 19:30
If you have the AVIs or the MPEGs of the "original" files, you should take a look through the Media Converter application thread a few topics down http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=569 .

If only I could use that application! Like others, I keep getting "failed" whenever I try to do a conversion, in both the Linux and XP versions.

Interestingly enough, I checked the properties of the ice age trailer and duplicated the resolution/bitrate/divx codec using another application and did a converson. The resultant video is still unplayable. So I am clueless as to how to make video work.

Does anyone else think the DRM monster might be rearing it's ugly head here? Nokia should be making video conversions a lot easier than this.

aflegg
2006-03-19, 08:19
I don't think it's DRM - I just think it's overly finicky :-(

Hopefully VLC or MPlayer will come along and be useful (or maybe Nokia'll improve the situation themselves).

dandrewk
2006-03-19, 17:59
Well, it is certainly finicky. :). Hopefully Nokia isn't afraid of running afoul of the MPAA by releasing any official conversion application.

Whatever the case may be, there eventually will be a 770 verson of PSPVideo9.

pdq
2006-04-25, 19:55
I found an mplayer binary that works reasonably well if you don't expect too much in terms of resolution/framerate.

Regards,
Reiner

caseyatbt
2006-04-26, 02:39
If only I could use that application! Like others, I keep getting "failed" whenever I try to do a conversion, in both the Linux and XP versions.

I did too. I found that I had to have a specific folder made just for the completed videos. Then point it to that folder for the output. After I did those things, I have completed a couple videos successfully.

jc

neiljerram
2006-04-26, 08:28
I for one would pay for (i) a video player that plays psp video properly (that Ice Age trailer plays great so it must be possible) and (ii) a word processor program compatible with MS Word (abiword doesn't work right).

Out of interest, how much would you pay?

Regards - Neil