PDA

View Full Version : Add New City to Date/Clock App?

rock
2008-02-08, 01:10
Newbie question: Is there any way to add a new city to the N810 date/clock applet?

TA-t3
2008-02-08, 10:30
Not that I know of, but in any case the "city" selection is only there to get you into the right timezone, it's not for identifying the city you live in. Just select one in the same timezone and your clock will be OK. Likewise, there are just about enough cities for the rest of the world to make it possible to select the possible timezones.

krisse
2008-02-08, 11:18
Yeah, as TA-t3 says, it doesn't really matter which city you pick as long as it's in the correct timezone.

RipTorn
2008-02-08, 12:01
check out rwhitby, this was for OS2007 I believe, not sure if its similar to OS2008

http://www.rwhitby.net/blog/n800/adding-a-new-timezone-to-osso-clock.html

rock
2008-02-08, 22:48
Thanks all for your reply. It's what I expected but thought it would be nice to see my actual home city listed.

RipTorn - that's for the pointer but at this time it may be more that I am capable of.

RipTorn
2008-02-09, 08:45
and yes It would be easier if they added all the time zones at least, I couldn't care less about if my home town is on the map. Just give me all the damn time zones! :p

-Rip

krisse
2008-02-09, 12:05
and yes It would be easier if they added all the time zones at least, I couldn't care less about if my home town is on the map. Just give me all the damn time zones! :p

-Rip

I think the problem is most people don't know what timezone they're in, but they do know which city they live in or near.

Daylight saving is a further confusion: People who live in Greenwich in Britain only use Greenwich Mean Time for the winter months, and like the rest of the country switch to BST during the summer. Technically the British time zone is GMT, but for half the year Britons actually use GMT+1.

TA-t3
2008-02-11, 11:18
Actually it isn't.. The British time zone is GB (although it can use other names, just like MET is the same as CET, for example). It just so happens that for half of the year it's equivalent to GMT. The non-GMT timezones include daylight savings time, if there is any, so if you're on GB you're on GB all the year (i.e. no need to change anything by yourself).

Peet
2008-02-11, 12:02
Personally, as an owner of an N800, I would like a comprehensive (comma-delimited?) database of Locations, with a simple drop-down menu where applicable. Other fields could include e.g. the weather.com city code for use with omweather app, urls to country and city maps etc.

These tablets are portable devices and when people are on the road certain information should be made easily available.

rdcinhou
2008-02-11, 12:35
No, ideally the applet would have a place to Enter a New City (like on my Nokia 9300 world clock application) and all you'd have to do is enter a latitude/longitude and it would appear in the list.

NOKIA ARE YOU LISTENING?