PDA

View Full Version : How to install software

fryfly321
2008-02-08, 19:44
HI Everyone,
I am expecting to get my n800 tommorow, and have been doing nothing but looking at all of the available content that i will be able to download for it,
but i just havn;t seen anything that tells/shows you how to install the software on the n800,

any help would be appreciated

superstar
2008-02-08, 19:53
On your tablet, go to http://gronmayer.com/it/ and select all/install, once installed, go to Applications (4 little squares)/Settings/Application Manager/Browse Installable Applications

Have fun!

krisse
2008-02-09, 03:26
Fryfly,

The method superstar gave is unofficial.

The official method is this:

1. Start a new browser window from the globe icon

2. Go to the address maemo.org/downloads

3. Go to the OS 2008 section, find what you want and click on the green install icon next to it.

That's it! You just say yes to all the questions, and the app will install automatically.

By the way, I'm assuming you're going to update your N800 to the new operating system OS 2008 before you use it. There are lots and lots of good reasons for doing this, one of them is that it increases the processor speed from 330mhz to 400mhz. An N800 updated to OS 2008 effectively becomes identical to the more recent N810 tablet.

It's best to update the OS before you do anything else with the tablet.

You can see a step by step guide to updating the OS here:

http://tabletschool.blogspot.com/2008/01/nokia-n800-how-to-update-n800s-firmware.html

GeneralAntilles
2008-02-09, 03:52
FThe method superstar gave is unofficial.

Perhaps, but it's a lot faster and easier than dealing with maemo.org and .install files. Applications will appear in the application manager if you have the repositories installed, so installing them from maemo.org is usually an unnecessary step.

krisse
2008-02-09, 04:07
Perhaps, but it's a lot faster and easier than dealing with maemo.org and .install files. Applications will appear in the application manager if you have the repositories installed, so installing them from maemo.org is usually an unnecessary step.

IMHO it's actually easier to use the maemo site, as the maemo site has screenshots and user reviews with all the apps neatly categorised.

But the important point is that fryfly now knows both methods so they can make up their own mind about which they prefer.

SlowHand
2008-02-09, 18:10
Hi all,

What about applications without an installer? (grey icon)

Thanks

krisse
2008-02-10, 02:04
Hi all,

Thanks

That's a bit trickier, you may have to install the app and all the supporting files it needs manually.

I don't really do this myself, so I can't really help, but perhaps someone else who's more experienced has some advice?

superstar
2008-02-10, 05:13
Hi all,

Thanks

Go through the steps that I posted, if it's there you can install it, if it's not there then it is not available... yet?

k4kman
2008-02-10, 12:56
I'm a newbe at this and is there anyways to install programs to the external memory card? seems all programs auto install into standard memory and as such you can't install many programs?

superstar
2008-02-11, 00:11
I'm a newbe at this and is there anyways to install programs to the external memory card? seems all programs auto install into standard memory and as such you can't install many programs?

Look into installing and booting the OS within the memory card, that way you won't be limited to the 128mb.

Lexapro4
2008-02-13, 19:01
How do you install and boot within the memory card?

superstar
2008-02-13, 19:38
How do you install and boot within the memory card?

Wiki (http://maemo.org/community/wiki/howto_easily_boot_from_mmc_card/) is your friend

Lexapro4
2008-02-25, 21:30
I went to Wiki and didn't see any reports of users using this with an N810. I'm just wondering if anything bad will happen if I follow these instructions with the N810.:o

superstar
2008-02-26, 02:49
I went to Wiki and didn't see any reports of users using this with an N810. I'm just wondering if anything bad will happen if I follow these instructions with the N810.:o

Read this thread (http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8631&highlight=booting)