PDA

View Full Version : Desktop Environments/Window Managers

Underscore
2008-02-10, 00:11
OK guys, extreme (tablet and linux) newbie here. I don't even have my n800 yet (should be here in a few days). But I've been doing plenty of research while playing the waiting game. Just looking through these forums, I've picked up alot of information. What surprised me the most was the customizability that maemo has, particularly turning it into a "full desktop" by installing different desktop environments.

Since there didn't seem to be any particular thread (or wiki page?) comparing different desktop environments, I just wanted to ask some peoples' opinions. I've seen a whole bunch of different ones, like KDE, xfce, windowmaker, fluxbox, openbox, etc.

So which is the best? Most usable? Fastest/best optimized for the tablets? Has the most applications supported? Easiest to install?
I'm sure much depends on preference, I just wanted to get an idea of which would suit me best. Also, I think there should be a wiki page or something comparing them, if there isn't already one. I searched, but didn't really find anything, but don't want to feel like an idiot if there is :D.