PDA

View Full Version : Skype Voucher

instigator
2008-02-11, 17:20
Just received an N800 (a gift for my dad) which shipped without the Skype voucher. The box advertises it but it is obviously missing.

Nokia CS told me that it wasn't their issue, that they don't handle the vouchers! Who puts them in the factory sealed box then?! They were totally clueless and unhelpful.

Anyway, not sure where to turn now. Anyone have a similar issue/resolution?

tvogel
2008-02-11, 17:55
What makes you so sure that there should be a voucher? I didn't have one in my N810's box either. And I didn't need one. Downloading Skype should work without anything else.

eetimm
2008-02-11, 17:59
I did not receive one in my box either, although the box was marked that it contained the voucher. tvogel, this was for 3 free months of Skype out service.

I think that the free trial period was over, but the label was still on the box. I decide that I would just let it go...turns out the Skype out service is $3 per month, so I decided it was not worth the hassle.

ET

tvogel
2008-02-11, 18:04
Ok, I see. Sorry, didn't know about that offer.

lm2
2008-02-11, 18:38
instigator, I've got my card and won't be using it. Not sure if it's still good (I got my n800 in dec). I'll check the card later when I get home, and PM you the codes on the card.

If anyone thinks this is nontransferable, please post that here.

lm2
2008-02-11, 23:53
instigator, check your personal messages.

instigator
2008-02-12, 00:05
Im2: Blown away by your generosity. I truly appreciate it.

johnnyc
2008-02-12, 15:29
instigator, I've got my card and won't be using it. Not sure if it's still good (I got my n800 in dec). I'll check the card later when I get home, and PM you the codes on the card.

If anyone thinks this is nontransferable, please post that here.

The skype promotion still seems to be on, I purchased my n800 on Saturday (Feb 9) and recieved the card in the box. Activation still worked.

bunanson
2008-02-12, 16:16
The skype promotion still seems to be on, I purchased my n800 on Saturday (Feb 9) and recieved the card in the box. Activation still worked.

It is BEAUTIFUL to see people helping each other out. I am moved!

Going back to the subject, in fact that Skype offer worked very well. I bought Skype credit and with the Skype 3 month free offer, Skype continues to give 3 month free service while making US/Canada calls. Skype would only deduct from my acct when making calls outside US/Canada. In summary, I am pleased with Skype.

I did not get any voucher for my N810 either, :(

bun

daddyo
2008-02-12, 16:22
I got the 3-month voucher in mine that arrived from Buy.com last week. It was on the bottom of the package, underneath EVERYTHING. I almost missed it.

bunanson
2008-02-12, 16:37
@Daddyo

Are you getting a N810 or N800. I may have to look more careful.

bun

everythingsablur
2008-02-12, 16:51
Mine was amidst the few paper items in the N800 package I got from TigerDirect (fully sealed). Easy to miss as it's basically a business card sized piece of card stock. Colourful Skype logo on one side, promo code on the back.

I haven't used mine yet, but will before a month long trip to Asia later this year (provided it doesn't expire, I'll have to check the card again, but I don't remember seeing an expiration date).

daddyo
2008-02-12, 17:09
@Daddyo

Are you getting a N810 or N800. I may have to look more careful.

bun

Mine was an n800.

bunanson
2008-02-12, 17:38
Thanks.

I looked again, nothing :(

bun

bunanson
2008-02-12, 17:42
Mine was amidst the few paper items in the N800 package I got from TigerDirect (fully sealed). Easy to miss as it's basically a business card sized piece of card stock. Colourful Skype logo on one side, promo code on the back.

I haven't used mine yet, but will before a month long trip to Asia later this year (provided it doesn't expire, I'll have to check the card again, but I don't remember seeing an expiration date).

I hope you are NOT planning to use it in Asia. That coupon is only good for US/Canada. BTW, I just returned from HK/China. I have a lot of info regarding internet use/wireless/cellphone/skype etc. I wish I learned about this before my trip. Post if interested.

bun

bokubob
2008-02-12, 17:47
I hope you are NOT planning to use it in Asia. That coupon is only good for US/Canada.

Skype doesn't care where you are, only the person you're calling. So, you can be in Asia or Antarctica, as long as you're calling to the US or Canada, you're all set.

-Jonathan

bunanson
2008-02-12, 17:55
Skype doesn't care where you are, only the person you're calling. So, you can be in Asia or Antarctica, as long as you're calling to the US or Canada, you're all set.

-Jonathan

In principle yes, in practice NO. I cannot make call out from HK/China to US/Canada because there is NO credit. Skype made the ringtone, then booted you out with err mess no credit. I guess if you leave .01 cent in the acct you may be alright. Skype to skype is always free. It helps to buy 10$ Skype out credit. It comes in handy.

bun

cybernut
2008-02-12, 18:10
Good thing I read this! I was so excited to get my n800 I forgot about the Skype offer. It was still in the bottom of the package.

C

everythingsablur
2008-02-12, 19:10
I hope you are NOT planning to use it in Asia. That coupon is only good for US/Canada. BTW, I just returned from HK/China. I have a lot of info regarding internet use/wireless/cellphone/skype etc. I wish I learned about this before my trip. Post if interested.
As noted, the coupon is good for calling TO the US/Canada. Skype couldn't give a rats patoot where you are calling from as it makes no difference to the service. Skype only incurs additional operating charges (which are passed on to you) when your call surfaces to a standard switched telephone system. Origination point is always IP, which is location agnostic.

Skype's offer is essentially the old Skype North American Unlimited plan, but for 3 months. I've used this plan to call home/friends in Canada/US from all over the world.

bunanson
2008-02-12, 19:37
...I've used this plan to call home/friends in Canada/US from all over the world.

If you have been able to do it, you probably right. I stand corrected. I fiddled with Skype for a couple minutes and kept getting kick out, I just gave up and bought some Skype credit.

Sorry about the misinfo.

bun

geneven
2008-02-12, 19:50
I paid $30 for the unlimited year, and I also have a Vonage account. I find that Skype is markedly worse in sound quality, and calls drop out more often than on Vonage. Unfortunately! I'd like to drop my Vonage account.

everythingsablur
2008-02-12, 20:45
I paid $30 for the unlimited year, and I also have a Vonage account. I find that Skype is markedly worse in sound quality, and calls drop out more often than on Vonage. Unfortunately! I'd like to drop my Vonage account.

I've got both as well (I even have a digital home phone/packetcable service from my cable provider), though I seem to have more problems with my Vonage account than my Skype account. It might just be the crappy GE 5.8 Ghz handsets someone bought us as a gift.

I've always liked Skype for it's portability. It was great working from customer sites for really long conference calls where I just didn't want to be in yet another war room for 16 hours. I could just walk around with my laptop and a USB headset on. Haven't tried any long calls on my N800 though...

zeleftikam
2008-02-13, 02:51
Anyway, not sure where to turn now. Anyone have a similar issue/resolution?

Aah! I got my N800 yesterday from Amazon, and my Skype voucher is also missing! It does have the sticker on the front that says "voucher inside". Oh well. I kept the voucher that came with the broken N800 that I just returned. Also kept a stylus and the case... win.

I was hoping to get six months of calling, though...

everythingsablur
2008-02-13, 03:46
Just dug my card out of the box. No visible expiration date (phew!).

So for you guys who ordered from Amazon and didn't have a Skype voucher, was the Nokia hologram sticker/seal on the box intact when you received your units? It's a conspiracy theory of foul play, but eh, if it peeves you that much... :P

zeleftikam
2008-02-13, 04:01
was the Nokia hologram sticker/seal on the box intact when you received your units?

The seal was intact. I remember because I tried to remove it without ruining it. Not possible! :p

instigator
2008-02-13, 06:37
Mine was also from Amazon and was definitely sealed.

s002axb
2008-02-13, 16:27
Just wanted to throw my two cents in, just bought one from Amazon as well, and it had the sticker on it and no card in the box, I even took all the panels apart and everything. It was sealed when I received it as well.

I wrote to Nokia and they say they have no promo going on with Skype, and that I should contact Amazon, which seems insane to me as the box was sealed. I have no idea who puts the sticker on the box though.

instigator
2008-02-13, 21:57
Just wanted to throw my two cents in, just bought one from Amazon as well, and it had the sticker on it and no card in the box, I even took all the panels apart and everything. It was sealed when I received it as well.

I wrote to Nokia and they say they have no promo going on with Skype, and that I should contact Amazon, which seems insane to me as the box was sealed. I have no idea who puts the sticker on the box though.

Yup, exactly what Nokia customer service told me yesterday. Sounds like BS to me as Amazon (or anyone else for that matter) would have no business opening up a factory sealed box. More likely to be a bad batch sent out to Amazon.

jmccaf
2008-02-18, 14:51
When I got my N800 on Christmas Eve from Amazon, it came with the Skype 3 Month voucher. After activation, I received an e-mail from Skype that my voucher was for one year, a most pleasant surprise. Food for thought, I guess.

-James

xlasher
2008-02-19, 21:39
Oh yeah..

You are very lucky....since I have no cellphone and a telephone, I use it to call my mom abroad with a calling card.... :cool::cool:

instigator
2008-02-20, 00:52
When I got my N800 on Christmas Eve from Amazon, it came with the Skype 3 Month voucher. After activation, I received an e-mail from Skype that my voucher was for one year, a most pleasant surprise. Food for thought, I guess.

-James

I just checked my email and it said one year at the top but, further down (in smaller print), it says 3 months.

phutterman
2008-03-01, 03:50
I bought mine from Amazon about a month ago, and, same deal. No voucher, even though it has the sticker on the box.

Rather suspiciously, on mine it actually looked as though there was one shiny, legit Nokia seal over another - it looked like it had been opened and then (officially?) resealed. The sticker(s) looked authentic, but there's definitely one under another. Also, the packaging insided (plastic bags and whatnot) struck me as a little opened-looking. Still, I didn't want to send it back over nothing, especially as it took longer than I expected to get it, and I was really excited about it, so I tried it out and it worked fine and still does.

I've had no problems with it, though the Skype voucher was a little disappointing.

Oh well. At least with Grandcentral and Gizmo I have free incoming calls from PSTN to VOIP. Not useful in quite the same way, but still cool (though I have yet to use it much).)

ndoftaworld
2008-03-01, 05:22
Hey all, i just got my n800 from buy.com today. w/ 3 day shipping for $220!! neway, got the voucher, activated it and used it for a half an hour call. kind of quiet, but otherwise great quality. despite some bad reviews, i would definitely recommend buy.com 2 anyone looking to get a n8x0 for a great price!!

cubeist
2008-03-01, 19:36
I just checked my email and it said one year at the top but, further down (in smaller print), it says 3 months.

My email said the same thing...a full year. I am very curious to see what will happen at the end of three months...if it ends I will contact skype and show them the email...maybe get the full year...

wzzrd
2008-03-18, 07:45
Sorry to kick this old thread, but my voucher seems to have an invalid character on it (printed as a square). Has anyone seen this before and know how to handle it? Just entering the whole string without the square doesn't work and neither does changing the square for a space when entering or entering the part of the string before the square...

Inate00
2008-03-18, 13:39
just find a square online and cut and paste it.