PDA

View Full Version : FYI, I am blaming everyone here...

brecklundin
2008-02-11, 20:34
I just went and ordered my N800. And it is all YOUR FAULT...remember that when I come and knock on your door looking for a couch to sleep on!

I figured since I already order extra batteries, an external battery charger, an 8GB SDHC card, a Cradlepoint CTR350, and MP1550, eight Sanyo NiMH batteries last night, that I guess it made sense to order the N800 too.

I even splurged on 1-day shipping at Amazon. WTHey, I blew the budget already what is another $18, right?

So, just remember it was from the info and help I found here that got me in trouble...so, keep that couch ready. I prefer high thread count sheets, at least 500, k?

EDIT: Oh, yeah, I am lactose intollerant and cannot eat anything with wheat. Please ensure there is food I can eat in the fridge! And gluten free beer too.

:rolleyes:

Underscore
2008-02-11, 20:40
Sounds like you went the extra mile. Or extra few...
So where's the bluetooth keyboard? XP

Laughing Man
2008-02-11, 20:41
I have no couch, I have a floor though.

superstar
2008-02-11, 20:44
eight Sanyo NiMH batteries

Given you get a battery life of 3.5 hours/battery 8x3.5= 28 hours of playback?? Are you going to the jungle? If so, this Solar Powered Self-Recharging Li-Ion Battery (http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2575) might come in handy along with this (http://www.amazon.com/Nokia-miniSync-Retractable-Charge-Cable/dp/B000UOO7NW/ref=pd_sim_e_title_5)?

brecklundin
2008-02-11, 21:03
Sounds like you went the extra mile. Or extra few...
So where's the bluetooth keyboard? XP

ahhhh, crud!! I forgot that and the new Tom Bihn Buzz bag...gotta go order them now..shoot!

brecklundin
2008-02-11, 21:09
Given you get a battery life of 3.5 hours/battery 8x3.5= 28 hours of playback?? Are you going to the jungle? If so, this Solar Powered Self-Recharging Li-Ion Battery (http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2575) might come in handy along with this (http://www.amazon.com/Nokia-miniSync-Retractable-Charge-Cable/dp/B000UOO7NW/ref=pd_sim_e_title_5)?

Not the jungle but, close, shopping in Antique malls, flea markets & estate sales...for those times when I am unsure if I can make any money on an item. I figure this ability alone will save me $500/yr in unfortunate WAG about items.

The eight NiMH batteries are for the Cradlepoiint EVDO Wifi router...combined with the MP1550 it gives me a mobile hotspot with two sets of batteries, as the CDU380 EVDO Modem is likely not going to work even in OTG mode on the USB port. I could have found an active usb hub, but the cradlepoint lets us share the connection in an easier fashion.

The extra N800 batteries are for when I run outta juice on the device. I mean it's a fast swap and much easier to carry around...well, maybe not easier but it's called accessorising!! hehehehe....

brecklundin
2008-02-11, 21:12
I have no couch, I have a floor though.

hmmmm...nice padded carpet? Air mattress? ;)

sjgadsby
2008-02-11, 21:39
...it's called accessorising!

So, now you just need a Bluetooth GPS and a car mount, and you'll be all set.

No, I take that back. Your Batman utility belt won't be complete until you can scale buildings (http://www.atlasdevices.com/videos.html).

brecklundin
2008-02-11, 21:58
got the GPS covered in the CDU680... :)

But the Batman Belt is interesting!!

I am planning on setting up a rolling hotspot in my vehicle with an external EVDO antenna, Wifi antenna and an EVDO signal booster...plus a deidcated power inverter for eveything. :)

But that is a summer project... :)

Betty Woo
2008-02-11, 22:05
You are going to *loathe* that grey soft fabric pouch, though.

While waiting for my Proporta case, I've resorted to putting PlayThing in an unused makeup case that has a zipper since the N800 *constantly* slid out of the pouch while in my bag.

This has resulted in a near-heart attack when it managed to slip out of the pouch, out of the bag and flush against the front on the filing cabinet I usually store my stuff in. I picked up the bag, found an empty pouch... and NO N800.

Calls to every place I visited that afternoon resulted in bupkiss and frustration. The only reason why I found PlayThing flush against the inside of the cabinet was because I was so pissed off, I slammed the drawer shut and everything (including the N800) was shoved to the back half of the drawer.

Bad day, indeed.

brecklundin
2008-02-12, 01:06
excellent...just got home to find Amazon shipped today and it is scheduled for delivery tomorrow...oh, boy...YIPPIE!!

geeze ya would think I was 7 and it was my first real christmas... ;)

Underscore
2008-02-12, 01:12
Haha, I just checked my order on FedEx; they say my N800 should be here tomorrow. So can't wait! It'll be a nice relief from the exams I have to take tomorrow. Didn't buy any accessories, though. Just the N800 itself will do. But the "mobile hotspot" idea is brilliant...how much is the service for that portable router? Also, what are the dimensions? I wouldn't mind toting one of those around if it was light.

Laughing Man
2008-02-12, 01:33
hmmmm...nice padded carpet? Air mattress? ;)

Nope, just a hard floor. Sorry, poor college kid :P.

Friend slept on it a while back (he's a commuter). Worse sleep of his life, the only reason why he slept over is he had a 2 hour commute and we got back from the movie at 12. The final was at 8.

2 hour drive home, and a two hour drive back? That's like 4 hours of sleep at home, so he stayed over.

Have fun with it though, I'm still doing stuff on there (recently got Hamachi and MCEGuru running on there). Let me know if you need help with setting Hamachi up.

tz1
2008-02-12, 01:46
Aside from muscle fatigue, the largest problem I have is getting to sleep (as I install the initrd menus...). Couch? Oh yea, I should move to the bed... sometime...

Tablets like this ought to require a prescription.

brecklundin
2008-02-12, 02:22
Haha, I just checked my order on FedEx; they say my N800 should be here tomorrow. So can't wait! It'll be a nice relief from the exams I have to take tomorrow. Didn't buy any accessories, though. Just the N800 itself will do. But the "mobile hotspot" idea is brilliant...how much is the service for that portable router? Also, what are the dimensions? I wouldn't mind toting one of those around if it was light.

The service I have is Sprint EVDO but through a 3rd party ISP that resells EVDO. The cool part is you do not have to pay for the CDU680 EVDO modem and there is NO CONTRACT, just month to month. They prorate your first month then it's a $50 setup fee. After that it's $49.99/mo for UNLIMTED mobile broadband. The comany is called Millenicom (http://www.millenicom.com).

You would need to check the DATA coverage map over at http://www.sprint.com to see if you are even covered by EVDO RevA.

I get pretty decent performance, here is a pretty representative speed test:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/233351707.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

That is just with the modem connected to my laptop. The Cradlepoint CTR350 is about pretty small. I know it's smaller then the N800. It functions as just a wifi hotspot but also has a combo LAN/WAN port so you can connect it to your router or direct connect to the CTR350. But it is not battery operated. So I ordered the MP1550 plus the NiMH batteries. They are to power the router.

A couple pluses for this EVDO Modem (CDU680) is it functions and appears to the computer as an AT & AT+ command set dial-up device. All of the software and drivers for Ubuntu, XP & OSX are on the device already. But that was why I liked it, I had hoped the N800 USB port was a real port. But even in OTG mode I am not hopeful it can provide enough power to the device. So, I bought the router.

Buuuuuut, Cradlepoint also makes LiION powered pocket router PHS300. But it does not have the LAN/WAN ability so I decided on the slightly more complicated but more flexible option with the CTR350 and a battery pack.

I got the idea of a mobile HS from a truck buddy who has it setup in his rig. Works GREAT and he is never out of contact and Skype almost always works over the EVDO as does streaming video for the most part. Even during periods of a poor signal I have been able to stream. I did a test, we are in a rural area near VAFB here in California. I started the laptop and connection the played a streaming video and hit the road...for the entire 60mi round trip I had video playing. The only time to stopped was because I had the power settings enabled and it shut down...oops!

I found a couple places where info is really good. I prefer the Sprint Mobile Broadband forum & the new Millenicom forum over at DSLReports/BroadbandReports http://www.dslreports.com/forum/sprintmb or http://www.dslreports.com/forum/cover,3165~mode=shut

And there there is a lot of info over on http://www.evdoforums.com but you are not allowed to mention ANY other site but their 3gstore.com. Still the info and help can be really good. I just choose to spend my money elsewhere.

But you can kludge up a nice in-vehicle setup with limited range for under $300 and with quite a bit more range for about $400+

Sigh...that was a LOT of typing...

brecklundin
2008-02-12, 02:27
Aside from muscle fatigue, the largest problem I have is getting to sleep (as I install the initrd menus...). Couch? Oh yea, I should move to the bed... sometime...

Tablets like this ought to require a prescription.

ha...ha....prescription...tablet....very punny!! :D But you be careful some tablets can be addictive!!

Though just in case, I have RA so I always have plenty of leetle helpers for aches & pains...because they never go away anymore now that I am old...hehehehe.... ;) Takes me about 2-3 hrs every AM just to work out the kinks well enough to make coffee.

averyml
2008-02-12, 15:25
I'd help you out, but with the money I've spent on my n800 so far, we can't even afford the gluten free beer any more ;-)

brecklundin
2008-02-12, 15:59
I'd help you out, but with the money I've spent on my n800 so far, we can't even afford the gluten free beer any more ;-)

hahahahaha...ya know...I KNOW EXACTLY what ya mean. Not to worry I don't drink anything any more. Not because it's something I don't agree with but rather the meds I talk now might disagree with the EtOH.

Though I have been up most of the night reading the OS2008 & KDE doco and whatever else I get side tracked toward. So sleep is a mythical creature to me.

I am also installing a 160gb HD in my laptop this week and I already know I am finally going to setup a Linux partition. Even though I have a set of the first distro of Lunux from 1993 Comdex Show in LV...SOMEWHERE...I just never did anything but look at it once and say "....hmmmm, that's interesting..." reformat...So, basically the N800 is to be my first exposure to any form of Linux. Which is cool because I swore off that MS development treadmill after VS2002 even though I have the upgraded VS2005. But, I kept my promise and have blown off the past two versions, well the last one and the RTM 2008 versions of everything. Good bye MS...for me. My better half has just finally gotten used to XP. And we have one vertical market app we run that will never be anything but a Windows app.

BUt, I just feel I might as well start using it as my everyday OS and dual boot the laptop. At least that is the plan this microsecond. :) Dunno which distro I am going to try first though.

OK...time for the AM vicodin...I have plenty to share with the class...coffee is almost done too.

BTW, I do tend to ramble when I post...I hope folks here can overlook that nasty habit... ;)

Laughing Man
2008-02-12, 16:04
I recommend Ubuntu, it's the distro I use, and the community was really helpful when I was learning Linux.

brecklundin
2008-02-12, 16:13
thanks, I was leaning toward that one...besides it's a cool sounding name. But really I have read a lot of positives about it.

The other thing is, well, for my EVDO modem to work that is the only Linux OS it has drivers for...so, I guess that now make the choice really easy. I had forgotten about the driver issue. :)

Though I once had a fair amount of Unix, well, early Solaris OS experience and also QNX, I pretty much blanked that from my memory via supression for my own sanity. Plus, cripes that was from '90-'92. I think that Sun SparcStation II caused me permanent brain damage from bashing my head against the monitor fro days/weeks on end.

Underscore
2008-02-12, 19:51
I get pretty decent performance, here is a pretty representative speed test:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/233351707.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

Oh, thanks for the reply :D.
Yeah, those speeds aren't too bad. I was just thinking this would be a great idea because I may be going on a road trip (in a cushy RV) with a friend. Though I think she may already have an internet solution. Also, being an RV, it doesn't have to be an extremely portable solution like yours, and maybe not quite as pricey. I'll just have to see how it goes.

brecklundin
2008-02-12, 20:05
cool, yeah no need to be that spendy...I actually believe Sprint will RENT EVDO modems. You might check the site.

Also, check the RV park because most of them actually have Wifi or some sort of internet service as part of the deal. I have some neighbors who RV and they tell me about that stuff...so, heck you might already be covered...for A LOT LESS.

brecklundin
2008-02-12, 20:44
oh nooooo, I have the much dreaded and ambiguous "Departure Scan" status at our area/destination hub. Fortunately that typically means the package is on the way here to be put on another truck for delivery...or they are re-routing it to my PO BOX...AGAIN. I had UPS decide to do that once and once they decided to deliver to my old address. Both time the package had the correct address on the label.

Gawds I do not like UPS...but, not my choice just pay the bill and shaddup, right? :)

brecklundin
2008-02-13, 03:13
well, it's pretty. So far that is the best I can say. had it running & online in 10mins out of the box. updated to OS2008. Reconfig'd...Skype works. That is nice.

what rocket scientist decided to put the USB port behind the kick stand when it's folded/closed? the engineer, they fior heem...awful location.

I can tell it will take some time, butright this microsecond, I like my Clie MUCH better. It's easier to read and use. But, I din't much like the clie at first either.

brecklundin
2008-02-13, 04:28
it's gettiing betta. fbreader works wonderfully. the browser in os08 is amazing compared to other mobile browsers i have used.

but, this site is teeeeeeeeny font.. looks nice @ 120%....

next is gvm .....zzoikes!!

tz1
2008-02-13, 12:22
I believe 3gstore.com rents EVDO modems (and cradlepoint or other routers).

brecklundin
2008-02-13, 22:46
I believe 3gstore.com rents EVDO modems (and cradlepoint or other routers).
YEAH, that is where I saw it!! Thanks for the correction! :)

brecklundin
2008-02-13, 23:02
Much coolness surrounds our home today...the Cradlepoint CTR350 got here!! Soon as I sort out my gainroot issue I will fiddle with it...oooohhhhh, boy, TOYS!!

Must remember to order iGo Stowaway today too!!

I do have some more observations. I used the N800 a lot last night...until about 4am today...TOYS!! Plus the better half is off to the Seattle & Spokane up in the PNW (Pacific North West for our international pals). So, I have not much to do...well, not much I am WILLING to do instead of play with my new toys. ;)

Anyway, I am liking the tablet more and more. I like the web access and browsing, I used Skype today and it worked like a charm. I still loathe a case-sensitive OS, or develoment language for that matter, but that will NEVER change in me or these UNIX-like Linux OS's...so ya just roll with it.

I still do not like how it works in my hand for reading a book. My had is a "tweener" too large to use the buttons easily and to small to completely grip the device and have access to the buttons or display one handed to change pages in a book. It is no fault of the device but just an issue that ergonomics are not perfect for everyone. But it's a nice job.

Also with my hands as they are I no longer have the flexibility I once did this also afffects my accessing the screen or buttons. But, again I will adapt eventually. But my flexibility will only continue to degrade...ya work around it.

I love the screen, it's bright, crisp and clear. I played a DIVX video (old Twilight Zone Epsiode) last night that I already had converted down for the nx73v. I have to say it played better on the Clie then the N800. The video is a 15fps & 32khz setup at something around 420x3?? and only 35mb in size. So it is not too big nor set for too fast a frame rate. But I guess the N800 has more pixels to manage 800x480 vs 480x320 for the nx73v. But the N800 has a 400Mhz cpu vs a 200mhz ARM in the Clie so I would expect a wash or slightly better rendering and performance from the N800. It does play the default included AVI video with EXCEPTIONAL clarity so I am guess I need to find a better sweet spot for the video specs when I convert. It is just trial and error. And I suspect this will also improve as the software gets better.

Overall I am very happy with everything after the first 24hrs. I spent a lot of time with the device and feel it will do exactly what I asked for in almost every need.

brecklundin
2008-02-13, 23:05
oh, something I do like it I can open the kickstand and slip my hand between it and the back of the N8x0. This helps prevent me from dropping the device in use. Given the lack of a standard place to attach a lanyard I find this important to mention. Though I will likely add a stick-on lanyard soon enough.

Oh, I also really like the pouch. It fits great in my pocket and is every easy to use. I was suprised by this because I read few positives about the sleeve. It is not bad, in my pocket. In a bag I can see it slipping out very easily.

GeneralAntilles
2008-02-13, 23:46
I still do not like how it works in my hand for reading a book. My had is a "tweener" too large to use the buttons easily and to small to completely grip the device and have access to the buttons or display one handed to change pages in a book. It is no fault of the device but just an issue that ergonomics are not perfect for everyone. But it's a nice job.

You do realize you can rotate the display into portrait mode in FBReader, right?

brecklundin
2008-02-14, 00:15
right, I was talking about portrait mode using FBReader. Left it out though....I just prefer that mode for reading anyway...and I have tried both portrait orientations, top or bottom rotation. As well as both landscape orientations. It is just gonna require some practice and time to adjust. But for now I much prefer the Clie's ergonomics, for me. I like the look and everything of the N800 but it just is not as good a fit for me ergonomically-specifically. Not bad enough to abandon the thing though...no way!!! :)

I have a larger thicker palm but my finger are a bit short for my palm size and, like I mentioned earlier, due to the RA I do not have the best flexibility anymore. And with the position of the buttons as well as their size it is awkward to use them. With the Clie they have a "jog dial" on the side which can which serves the function of all three of the Nokia buttons save the "full screen" button. And the functionality is context sensitive. When reading, the dial operates to change pages depending on dialing up or down as well as how you define it to work in the reader setup. When using either a form, menu or other application the dial allows moving between fields as well as selection or activation when depressed. Really it's quite a nice design that I was surprised was so useful.

Off to find becomeroot... ;)

WoodyS
2008-02-14, 00:39
I turn pages in FBReader by tapping the screen to move one page forward or back.
Play with making your own videos from dvd or good quality files.
When using Media converter for movie files I like the N800 medium quality setting, 400 x 240. Not optimized for 770, high quality conversion (2 passes) and audio gain.
I user Handbrake to convert directly to specs similar to above and to MP4 format. I think the frame rate is about 23.

Underscore
2008-02-14, 00:39
Sounds like you're getting along with your new n800 nicely too. Works like a charm for me; so far no problems. I'd like to squeeze KDE on here once I find a nice, cheap SD card to put it on.

myk
2008-02-14, 13:01
I'd like to squeeze KDE on here once I find a nice, cheap SD card to put it on.

SD cards are the least of your worries. You sir are a bona fide masochist. Why not port COBOL too?
400MHz, 128MB. I wouldn't run KDE with double those. You are worse than those idiots who want windoze on the Nokia. No, i take that back. At least KDE runs native.

brecklundin
2008-02-14, 13:23
I turn pages in FBReader by tapping the screen to move one page forward or back.
Play with making your own videos from dvd or good quality files.
When using Media converter for movie files I like the N800 medium quality setting, 400 x 240. Not optimized for 770, high quality conversion (2 passes) and audio gain.
I user Handbrake to convert directly to specs similar to above and to MP4 format. I think the frame rate is about 23.

THANKS for the video conversion tips!! I am ashamed to admitt that, well, I am totally a greenhorn with video settings and encoding. I am even worse with music. That is why I like the streaming stuff. It takes the idiot out of the equation...as in ME having to think. :rolleyes:

brecklundin
2008-02-14, 13:28
SD cards are the least of your worries. You sir are a bona fide masochist. Why not port COBOL too?
400MHz, 128MB. I wouldn't run KDE with double those. You are worse than those idiots who want windoze on the Nokia. No, i take that back. At least KDE runs native.

Dude, that's kinda harsh ain't it? I mean calling someone an 'idiot' for having a hobby and shooting for the moon? I mean why the heck not? :p

And heck, I bet Cobol would run pretty well on the OS and hardware...it used to run on far less powerful systems...as in 8080 and before...

GeneralAntilles
2008-02-14, 20:42

Have you tried KDE? :rolleyes:

Underscore
2008-02-14, 22:26

O_O Honestly I just wanted to try it out; a full linux desktop on my N800 is just too hard to pass up. I'm not expecting it to run like a dream, of course, but many people seem to get along fine with it. I'm sure it supports quite a few more apps too, and I'm not complaining there :P. But maybe something lighter would be better, like xfce or Fluxbox/openbox/whatever (I'm not very familiar with all of them).

brecklundin
2008-02-15, 02:30
Have you tried KDE? :rolleyes:

I am seriously going to try it out. Soon as my 8gb card gets here. I have been reading the KDE forum here and think it's worth the effort to see how it does.

Scarflash
2008-02-15, 03:52
Lol, It's faster than mine!!!
http://www.speedtest.net/result/234589647.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

brecklundin
2008-02-15, 08:38
d'oh!!

Yeah, not the best speed...BUT, better then no speed? And my test was over EVDO mobile broadband not DSL. Which makes it even better.

You should try http://www.speedtest.net for S&G's...the leetle pyramids download sooooooo s----l---o---w---l---y it's comical. But that is more due to the CPU limitations then the connection as my speed test shows. It works the same even over my DSL. So the rate limiting step is the hardware not the connection.

It would be interesting to see what other folks are getting using their NIT over what sort of connection. I am willing to bet it is gonna max out around 800kpbs/500kbps. At least when there is something else sucking up clock cycles like freaking Flash graphics overhead.

Man I remember when Flash was cool, new and small footprint. Not anymore. I still have a copy of 3.0 around here somewhere.

brecklundin
2008-02-15, 08:41
BTW, I solved the issue of one handed operation today. I am going to just use landscape mode in FBReader. I can then open the kickstand and slide my hand under to...that way it works to help me support the NIT and allow me one handed operation.

And landscape mode is MUCH nicer on this system. I am just amazed at the level of control FBReader provides.

Hedgecore
2008-02-15, 14:16
brecklundin: Gluten free beer!? That's CDN$18 for a six pack. I would've saved the money from the tablet/accessories and spent it on beer. Then again I've got a stereotypical Canadian liver.

Antilles: I just can't bring myself to run KDE. I've tried over several distros over the years and no matter how much I customize it or change the colours around, I still get left with the original feeling I had when I saw it as default... it feels like my WM is a feminine hygeine product.

(Maybe I should run KDE on a MAC for the full effect.) :)

GeneralAntilles
2008-02-15, 17:33
Antilles: I just can't bring myself to run KDE. I've tried over several distros over the years and no matter how much I customize it or change the colours around, I still get left with the original feeling I had when I saw it as default... it feels like my WM is a feminine hygeine product.

I don't run KDE either. My point was simply to point out that myk was both ill-informed and rude.