PDA

View Full Version : Laptop -> N800 Internet access

barqer
2008-02-12, 21:14
Ive done abit of reading and searching here to see if I could find an answer to this. I have my laptop at school and my N800. I am only allowed to connect to the Wi-fi with one username while doing work. Is there anyway (via bluetooth probably) to allow the N800 to share the internet connection from my laptop (that also has bluetooth).

Thanks

sjgadsby
2008-02-12, 21:27
Is there anyway (via bluetooth probably) to allow the N800 to share the internet connection from my laptop (that also has bluetooth).

Yes, there have been previous discussions of this. This thread (http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=132999#post132999) appears to have an solution to your request.

brecklundin
2008-02-12, 21:30
d'oh...never mind...oops!

barqer
2008-02-12, 22:06
well, thats one hell of a solution. I was hoping it was abit less involved than that. While I am familiar with linux, I am still learning and am not quite that knowledgeable yet. Soon though I suppose, soon.

bg4
2008-04-09, 17:57
Forget that solution - much easier way but you will need a second wifi client - a PCMCIA card will do nicely and is not that expensive.

It involves sharing you first wifi connection thru the second wifi connection. I will post more soon. First you will need a 2nd wifi connection - forget bluetooth in this situation. Actually although I';ve never tried it I guess a bluetooth adaptor connected to the laptop could replace the second wifi adaptor but again I've never tested this.

search something like hotel sharing in ITT. I posted it somewhere.

IcelandDreams
2008-04-09, 18:53
Should it not be as simple as making the Windoze BT show a profile that the IT sees as a phone? I'll admit this isn't a burning issue for me but I wanted to see if this would work without hacking around. I've been disappointed with BT in general and wanted to make it do something useful. I found that out of the box it isn't doing this but it should.

Benson
2008-04-09, 19:08
PAN's not as hard as it used to be. There's a tidy package now that is supposed to work rather well.

bachviet
2008-04-10, 03:33
It's easier to setup a WiFi ah-hoc network with a second WiFi USB/PCMCIA card and it' faster also (11Mbps vs. 2.1Mbps).

Benson
2008-04-10, 14:38
Faster in terms of actual throughput? What numbers are you getting?

BT is probably lower power consumption, if that matters...

toby.c13
2008-04-18, 18:30
my n800 connects to the internet thru my laptop.
my laptop is connected to LAN n i use a wifi usb for my n800 to connect. :)

Starcruiser1229
2008-04-21, 04:58
One thing to consider is that, depending on the school, the network admins may not be happy with you sharing the connection via open wifi - if you setup security on the second connection (or use the bluetooth, which is secured by default, I believe) they have less reason to care - they may not notice/care anyway... The other thing to worry about (again, with the open wifi suggestion only) is someone else using your connection will appear to be you - and can then download questionable content on your username...