PDA

View Full Version : N800 friendly?

JackCDay
2008-02-13, 23:41
Do you think this forum is Internet tablet friendly, i dont think it is. too many pics, etc.

GeneralAntilles
2008-02-13, 23:45
Do you think this forum is Internet tablet friendly, i dont think it is. too many pics, etc.

This topic has been covered at least a dozen times.

sleepkyng
2008-02-13, 23:56
This topic has been covered at least a dozen times.

dang man, you are really a jerk, sorry but i just got an n800 and have been browsing this website heavily for a week and all you do is criticize people and intimidate.

i hate to judge you and pidgeonhole you but you act like exactly what i would imagine a disgruntled computer geek would be like in highschool - immature, snobbish and rude.

what is your deal? if you don't like the threads, don't post in them, thereby keeping them alive.

you need to go jogging or something.

Texrat
2008-02-14, 17:32
Hey, thanks for today's contribution to Best Unintentional Irony, sleepkyng! :rolleyes:

The general was simply stating a fact.

krisse
2008-02-15, 11:58
Sleepkyng, you can alter the skin of the forums using the option menu in the bottom left corner (the one that says n810v2). This may help you with browsing on the tablet.

gemniii42
2008-02-15, 12:34
dang man, you are really a jerk, sorry but i just got an n800 and have been browsing this website heavily for a week and all you do is criticize people and intimidate.

i hate to judge you and pidgeonhole you but you act like exactly what i would imagine a disgruntled computer geek would be like in highschool - immature, snobbish and rude.

what is your deal? if you don't like the threads, don't post in them, thereby keeping them alive.

you need to go jogging or something.
I agree - I'm a "jerk" to.
Obviously JackCDay has either (vote for one):
not explored the forum long enough to find the search feature and contribute to an existing thread
Needs to make his mark here with his second post

and as for sleepkyng
if you don't like the threads, don't post in them, thereby keeping them alive.
Many of us "jerks" try to keep the s/n ratio by admonishing noob's to read before they post. And hopefully the forum will come up with some magic method of making people search and contribute to existing threads.

I read this on the N810 and it's a pain to see all this noise.

linux_author
2008-02-15, 13:01
NIT friendly? heck no, it's not browser friendly on *any* platform!

:-)

bunanson
2008-02-15, 14:08
Sleepkyng, you can alter the skin of the forums using the option menu in the bottom left corner (the one that says n810v2). This may help you with browsing on the tablet.

The problem with that, some of the platform is a one way street, does not have an 'easy' way of coming back. And quoted by Linux_author, there is NO friendly platform. The kind of less evil of all platforms for the tablet, probably is classic. However, one still has to put up with the home page, which is very unfriendly, before one can go to the platform of your choice. Well, I guess you can always make a bookmard to the forum to avoid the home page.

Reggie, I really think something should be done about this by now. This is a tablet forum and it is very painful to use it on tablet. Most of the time, we can get by to enjoy this fora on desktops or laptops or eeePC (*och, it hurts), it is sad but true, but when there is a link for software dl, it is BEST to use the tablet, and there is where my sphincter tone gets tight :(.

bun

gwalborn
2008-02-15, 14:09
krisse,

Well, I changed my view using the option in the lower corner to one of the "mobile" options on my desktop browser (just as a preview). Now there appears to be no option to CHANGE IT BACK! I'm STUCK in mobile mode (in the forums). Any suggestions???

EDIT: Got it fixed.... You need to delete the cookie "StyleID" related to the InternetTabletTalk site (from Firefox).

Thanks,

Gary Walborn
gwalborn@gmail.com

timsamoff
2008-02-15, 14:11
Any suggestions???

Clear your cookies.

As for me, I don't generally have an issue with browsing this site (on my IT or otherwise)... That is, until I need to search. Other than that, it's a bit slow, but changing to a mobile theme fixes that.

Tim

bunanson
2008-02-15, 14:14
krisse,

Well, I changed my view using the option in the lower corner to one of the "mobile" options on my desktop browser (just as a preview). Now there appears to be no option to CHANGE IT BACK! I'm STUCK in mobile mode (in the forums). Any suggestions???

Thanks,

Gary Walborn
gwalborn@gmail.com

Here is the answer, http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10493

That will get you back.----------------------------------------
Something like, try tacking "&styleid=4" on the end of a post that should move you back to dark, make sure to set it then
--------------------------------------------------------------

bun

sleepkyng
2008-02-17, 17:14
and as for sleepkyng

Many of us "jerks" try to keep the s/n ratio by admonishing noob's to read before they post. And hopefully the forum will come up with some magic method of making people search and contribute to existing threads.

I read this on the N810 and it's a pain to see all this noise.

noise for you, useful information for others.
it always amazes me to see "seniority" on webforums - i mean, you complain that this device will forever languish as a geek tool, and then you intimidate newcomers.

search is inaccurate at best and certainly not as efficient or up to date as live responses from people who haven't already sold their tablets for an eeepc.

do i really care that the 770 had bugs in 2006? not really. But that's what i get when i do a search.

does the wiki provide simple and common place answers? no.
are there good stickys in each forum to provide common answers? no.

you may have pains with all the noise from newbies, but for some of us, the noise comes from the other end of the spectrum.

just because you got this toy before i did and joined this forum before i did, doesn't mean you need to be nasty or a "jerk." (not that i'm directing this at you, rather i'm speaking to the more general mood of this place).

linux based software demands community interactions - simple as that. If you want a real community, you've got to take the new with the old, the newbs with the seniors.

heavyt
2008-02-17, 17:21
noise for you, useful information for others.
it always amazes me to see "seniority" on webforums - i mean, you complain that this device will forever languish as a geek tool, and then you intimidate newcomers......................................... .................
just because you got this toy before i did and joined this forum before i did, doesn't mean you need to be nasty or a "jerk." (not that i'm directing this at you, rather i'm speaking to the more general mood of this place).

linux based software demands community interactions - simple as that. If you want a real community, you've got to take the new with the old, the newbs with the seniors.

Amen.......

geneven
2008-02-18, 00:22
Ironically, I've had the most difficulties using the SEARCH function on this site with my N800. When I select search from the Forums page, the box opens way down the page and I have to look all over for it. Then, in order to type text INTO the box, I have tried everything but hitting my tablet with a hammer to get the virtual keyboard to open. Finally, I discovered that I had to open advanced search to type in text.

Benson
2008-02-18, 17:03
Use greasemonkey... It's quite friendly after a liberal application of monkey-grease!

Edit:

Better still, use ~/.mozilla/microb/chrome/userContent.css
You may need to make the chrome directory.
I use this, in conjunction with the 'classic' theme.:
@namespace url(http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml);
@-moz-document url-prefix("http://www.internettablettalk.com/"),
url-prefix("http://internettablettalk.com") {
alt1 { font-size: 120% !IMPORTANT; }
a:hover { color: #004 !IMPORTANT;}
div#header .hd4 { padding: 0 !IMPORTANT;}
div#header div#header-body { height: 44px !IMPORTANT; background: #C8C8C8 !IMPORTANT;}
img#home { top: 3px !IMPORTANT; left: 53px !IMPORTANT;}
img#forum { top: 2px !IMPORTANT; left: 165px !IMPORTANT;}
img#wiki { top: 2px !IMPORTANT; left: 283px !IMPORTANT;}
img#sw { top: 3px !IMPORTANT; left: 391px !IMPORTANT;}
img#gallery { top: 2px !IMPORTANT; left: 512px !IMPORTANT;}
img#contact { top: 5px !IMPORTANT; left: 625px !IMPORTANT;}
.advert { display: none !IMPORTANT;}
div#top-padding { padding: 0 !IMPORTANT;}
div#bot-padding { padding: 0 !IMPORTANT;}
div#topbox .tb7 { padding: 0 !IMPORTANT;}
div#mainbox .mb7 { padding: 0 !IMPORTANT;}
div#footbox .fb7 { padding: 0 !IMPORTANT;}
td#mainbody div.padding { padding: 0 !IMPORTANT;}
div#top-padding { padding: 0 !IMPORTANT;}
div.page>div { padding: 0 !IMPORTANT;}
.pagenav .smallfont { font-size: 200% !IMPORTANT;}
.pagenav td { width: 30px !IMPORTANT; height: 30px !IMPORTANT; text-align: center !IMPORTANT; white-space: nowrap !IMPORTANT;}
div.wrapper { margin: 0 !IMPORTANT;}
.button { font-size: 200% !IMPORTANT;}
}

The benefit: Since greasemonkey can change everything, it can't change anything until the DOM is available (i.e. page loads completely). If all you want is to change some CSS, the userContent.css works, and changes it as the page loads.

aperes
2008-02-20, 19:51
I'd like to suggest that the drop down box that allows one to change the formatting be moved from the bottom to the top of pages.

I have been very unhappy trying to view the site on my N800 and only today, quite by accident on my desktop, did I notice the drop down when scrolling all the way down a page.

In fact, I even find alternate formates easier to read on my desktop, with my aging eyes and trifocals.

Love the content.

Thanks.