PDA

View Full Version : USB connection

cybernut
2008-02-14, 14:27
I'm sure this question has been asked many times and I've read many answers but I don't think I can get it through this old brain of mine...

I want to download videos, mp3 etc to my external and/or internal SDHC cards. Unfortunately my laptop doesn't support it so the obvious way of plugging them in my media reader is out.

That leaves some sort of computer to computer connection. I have Linux only on my laptop.
1. I've never been much of a xterminal person so is there a Gui version of vpn or ssh or any other tunneling program that works on the n800/OS2008. The openvpn seems only to have a Cisco connection.
2. Can I share one of my drives on my laptop and have the n800 find it ala "network neighborhood'?
3. The preferred way: can I plug in the USB cable into my laptop as is (just like it was an external drive without going through the OTG setup) and see the n800
4. Any other reasonably simple way to transfer files.

I've had the n800 for a week now and I love it, but the lack of easy pc communications really limits its usefulness.

Cheers

Clive

Mara
2008-02-14, 14:40
Well, if you just hook up your N8x0 to your laptop with the supplied USB cable your laptop can see N8x0 memory card(s) as removable drive. You can then just use your laptop file manager to copy files between the laptop and N8x0. (But not other way around: N8x0 can not see your laptop as external drive. This is because your laptop likely do not have proper USB hardware (ability to operate in peripheral mode) and software (to allow disk access from USB port connected device.))

Another method is to share files on your laptop is through LAN. But I think this works only with Windows network and if shares do not require password to log in.

Somewhere I recall seeing a possibility to set up USB networking on N8x0. This may be worth searching further...

cybernut
2008-02-14, 14:53
Wow! That was simple... I actually did try that at work yesterday (with Windows) and it didn't seem to work. Works like a charm (just like I envisioned it should) on my laptop. Thanks.

Cheers

Clive

reb402
2008-02-14, 15:01
You can set up systems so that they use ssh to move files around and have your IT as an icon on your desktop.

Set up ssh like this. (http://www.mines.edu/~gmurray/HowTo/sshNotes.html)

Set up desktop icon like this. (http://blog.chris.tylers.info/index.php?/archives/25-Nautilus-and-SSH.html)

This assumes you are using linux on your laptop.