PDA

View Full Version : Nokia 770 Not Turning on?

kutibah
2006-03-23, 13:33
I got my Nokia 770 yesterday (bought it brand new from eBay) and everything worked fine for a few hours and I loved it. I even got the GPS Bluetooth Receiver and tested it out and it worked. After a few times of trying to run GAIM and having it freeze, it just froze and wouldn't turn off, so I unplugged the battery. Ever since then, I've been trying to turn it on, but all it gives me is a white screen for like 30 seconds and then it turns back off. I've tried it with the AC Power plugged in. I also left the battery removed all night yesterday, and it still isn't turning on. Any suggestions? If I reflash the memory, would it work or is this a hardware problem? How can I reflash it if I'm on a Windows PC? Thank you all for your help!

P.S. Nokia won't honor the warranty because I don't have a recepit :mad:

aflegg
2006-03-23, 13:53
No idea really: reflashing it won't do any harm.

As for them not honouring the warranty due to the lack of a receipt, if I were in your situation I'd play merry hell with them. The 770 was only launched in November: not one device could be out of warranty yet!

paden45
2006-03-23, 13:59
I got my Nokia 770 yesterday (bought it brand new from eBay) and everything worked fine for a few hours and I loved it. I even got the GPS Bluetooth Receiver and tested it out and it worked. After a few times of trying to run GAIM and having it freeze, it just froze and wouldn't turn off, so I unplugged the battery. Ever since then, I've been trying to turn it on, but all it gives me is a white screen for like 30 seconds and then it turns back off. I've tried it with the AC Power plugged in. I also left the battery removed all night yesterday, and it still isn't turning on. Any suggestions? If I reflash the memory, would it work or is this a hardware problem? How can I reflash it if I'm on a Windows PC? Thank you all for your help!

P.S. Nokia won't honor the warranty because I don't have a recepit :mad:

My 770 will display a white screen and then shut down when the battery is depleted. I would insert the battery and recharge for a couple of hours and then attempt a turn-up. I think you will be all set.

Hedgecore
2006-03-23, 15:10
I'm in agreeance with Paden. My 770 did a battery dump when I popped it once and I got the white screen. After leaving it charging for 10 minutes, it had enough juice that it could boot up and continue charging while I used it.

kutibah
2006-03-23, 15:46
Did your white screen also have 2 white gray lines in the center as well? Anyways, I left it plugged in the AC Charger. When I get back home tonight (8 hours from now) I'll check. I hope this is the problem. Otherwise, I'll make an invoice receipt and send it in for warranty. Thanks guys!

tolou
2006-03-23, 19:28
Hereīs another one... I left my new unit(got it yesterday!) in the charger over night in order to have a full battery in the morning...

Surprisingly, it wouldnīt start a all :eek:
Got home after work to charge it again and got the "ghost" white screen as described above after plugging in the charger.

My conclusion is so far that the 770 wonīt charge while the unit isswitched off. Some recommendation said that it preferringly is charged turned on. Question is: is this a requirement??

Are this problem on unit in the last batch orders, or what?

Still charging....

kutibah
2006-03-23, 20:07
Hereīs another one... I left my new unit(got it yesterday!) in the charger over night in order to have a full battery in the morning...

Surprisingly, it wouldnīt start a all :eek:
Got home after work to charge it again and got the "ghost" white screen as described above after plugging in the charger.

My conclusion is so far that the 770 wonīt charge while the unit isswitched off. Some recommendation said that it preferringly is charged turned on. Question is: is this a requirement??

Are this problem on unit in the last batch orders, or what?

Still charging....
So if you need to turn it on to charge it, how do I charge it if it won't even turn out? Also, are you seeing 2 gray light bars in the center of the screen?

Hedgecore
2006-03-23, 20:32
The grey bars sound like it's dead to me... sorry. I had a pure white screen. I noticed that when the battery got too low, I couldn't charge it with the sleeve on. I plugged it on with the sleeve off, turned it on, and it sat on a white screen for an hour or so. Turning it 'on' again booted the unit.

tolou
2006-03-23, 21:14
Mine boots up, still white or with some grey lines all over the screen.

It even gives the boot up sound, and you can se that the grey lines are changing somewhat during the process.

kutibah
2006-03-23, 23:29
I just got home and tried to power it on (after being plugged in the charger for 8 hours) and yet no luck.

Tolou, what's happening to you is exactly the same for me. Mine starts out with like 4 gray lines and then changes to 2 before shutting off. I am also getting the sound confirming it is on. But it just won't boot!!! Can it be saved or should I just send it in for warranty? :mad: :mad: :mad: :( :( :(

rr0123
2006-03-23, 23:54
have you tried attaching it to your computer and seeing if it will go into usb mode? You need to press a button before starting it up, I forgot which one.

kutibah
2006-03-24, 00:01
have you tried attaching it to your computer and seeing if it will go into usb mode? You need to press a button before starting it up, I forgot which one.
I contacted Nokia Support, and they said if I could connect it through USB and reflash the firmware that it should work because it's a software problem. Problem is, my computer isn't seeing it. Which button do you think it is?

kutibah
2006-03-24, 00:19
I found out it was the Home key. Well, I tried it on 2 different PC's, and both times it told me "The USB device is malfunctioning. Cannot connect to the USB device." So I guess I have to send it for repair and wait 7 or so days....

OR, you guys think a store like BestBuy or Circuit City or CompUSA or Walmart or SOME store that sells the 770 will let you exchange a product without a receipt? Because that would be much easier...

tolou
2006-03-24, 06:41
Would recon this being a warranty thing. I will contact NOKIA support today but most probably leave it in a service center for replacement.
Since we are at least two with the same problem at a short time this bound to be a HW problem.

Note that if you lean the screen to look from above or from under you may see a faint NOKIA logo initially that makes up those grey lines. Then you will see that itīs infact booting but with corrupt screen.

kutibah
2006-03-24, 06:49
Ok well I packed it all up and am shipping it tomorrow morning via overnight shipping. I always have the worst luck....

psychoboy
2006-03-29, 16:40
I am having the same problem. Got mine 4 days ago and started having the problem yesterday. Would not power on, did not think to check if the screen was just not powering on from the tip above. However, when I plugged it back into the charger it would then power up. Now the screen has "smears or vertical lines" through it. I can get it to boot and work but the screen has not fixed itself. Is mine toasted as well?

dandrewk
2006-03-29, 17:21
A possible scenario: The battery runs dead, and the user tries to reboot with the dead battery. The weakened battery either doesn't turn on the screen and he/she turns the unit off, or the 770 dies during bootup. Either way, the bootup cycle is interrupted, which could be corrupting the video drivers, the USB drivers, and who knows what else.

This is just a guess... but for Windows users, it can be a very bad thing to power off during bootup. If this is the case with the 770, Nokia needs to detect and protect the unit when this happens, or at the very least allow system critical drivers to be reinstalled in the event they become corrupt.

Just to be safe, though - if the battery runs down, plug it in before you try and reboot.

psychoboy
2006-03-29, 18:35
dandrewk

I was thinking along the same path, but mine was fully charged. I just unplugged it from the PS this AM and it would not boot. I plugged it back in, and it booted, however, with the new "smears" on the screen. I thought maybe for some reason it had not charged overnight, even though it was plugged in, so I left in on the charger and the battery registered fully charged in about 2 min. This kind of rules out a dead battery senario, but maybe not a defective battery or power circuit?

Here are some pics of what my screen now looks like...

dandrewk
2006-03-29, 19:09
Yuk. Have you tried to reflash the OS?

psychoboy
2006-03-30, 06:12
Yeah, reflashing was the first thing I thought of as it really looks like the display drivers are corrupt. But, the reflash did nothing.

One thing I noticed that was weird before it happend is this. I used it for almost 4 hours last night after I loaded VNC viewer (really cool by the way, was messing with the wife while she was on her PC for about an hour before she figured it out). And, I have been using it to surf the web for the last 4 days (a lot). But, last night, it was getting hot in the upper left hand corner (would like to know where the chip is for the wifi, I suspect it is in that area). It was also dropping the connection so much it got annoying, I was only about 15 feet max from the access point. Anyway, this morning after leaving it in the charger all night, that's what I got as described above.

I have played with it for a while now and it really seems to me like the drivers are bad. It will display B&W pretty well, but anything with color has the steaks and is almost unreadable. Not sure if I will be able to get a new one as I won this at a charity event, I guess I made a bigger contribution then I thought. Oh well.

Hedgecore
2006-03-30, 15:10
After seeing that .jpg, looks like it's hooped. Buy/swap/return. *whistles innocently*

psychoboy
2006-04-01, 18:19
Just as a follow up to my comments above...

It is defintely trashed, but I am not sure what caused it. It still has the problem of powering on. If I remove the battery and replace it, I then have to try about 10 times to get it to turn on. I think what might have killed it is when I plugged it back into the charger that morning, maybe it was already booting and the surge killed it? Good news is that I might be getting a new one from the charity event that I won it at, or at least a reciept to do a warranty exchange.

If anyone has any insight from the pics attached. Is it the screen, a driver, or the display adaptor? From left to right:
1. Screen shot taken with "Load Plugin".
2. Pic of what I was seeing at the time of that screen shot.
3. Pic of Browser.
4. Pic of an image.

aalqadaffi
2006-04-01, 20:50
Mine is doing something similiar. I left mine charging for a quite some time. Then in the morning I went to turn it on. It lights up and the blue Nokia logo comes on. Then the screen brightens up and it just shuts off. When I connect it to the charger the green battery full indicator comes on. What should I do? I'm trying to sell it and I can't sell it if it's busted.

dandrewk
2006-04-01, 22:41
The manual states that leaving the 770 plugged in past the battery full stage can severely affect the life of the battery.

Sounds to me like your battery is toast.

Firebird
2006-04-02, 17:44
I buy my Nokia 770 4 days ago
And yesterday has seen a white screen :-(
I reflash my Nokia - but nothing happened
A can see Flash card from PC, I can reflash it, a hear sounds, but I nothing see

kutibah
2006-04-07, 03:06
Ok, good news. I just got back my Nokia 770 from their repair center in Texas after sending it in last week. They've replaced it for me and even sent it back in 2 Day Air! Well, all is good. Let's hope this doesn't happen again. And for all of you with a similar problem, I suggest you send it in for warranty as well!

Anton
2006-04-07, 21:52
The white screen no boot issue happened to me about six weeks ago. I called nokia and after making sure I couldn't reflash it they had me send it in for repair. After about twelve days I got a brand new unit back. It is too bad that these issues are out there but kudos to Nokia for not giving me a hassle and taking care of the problem.

keyrn1808
2006-04-09, 21:40
Hi all,

I had the white screen of dead issue one month ago, after returning the unit, I ordered a new one...

No my new unit refuse to start. It gets freeze at the nokia logo (just the big letters) and the progress bar never shows.

And yes, I tried to reflash it with the last version, and with earlier versions. The flashser works perfectly, with the flasher progress bar ending ok. But the progress bar is never there in the start up.

I also tried to put the unit in production mode, with no luck.

When I put the unit charging, no battery logo is there, just the nokia letters.

Any one had this problem?

Thanks

psychoboy
2006-05-16, 14:55
Nice, Back in business!! Nokia sent me a new one.

psychoboy
2006-05-30, 01:19
UPDATE!!!

Well my second tablet's screen just failed this morning. Here is what happend...

I pulled it off the charger and it looked fine. However, the wifi would not connect. I figured it needed a reboot so I turned it off and waited for about 30 seconds and turned it back on and the screen failed. It it had the same lines on it as before. I think at this point if I can get another one I may just sell it until they work out the bugs.

keyrn1808
2006-05-30, 11:05
I get the new one just a few days ago and for now it is working fine....

daverup
2006-05-30, 18:15
Mine went back today for the same video issues...
Reflash didn't change anything.
Hope they figure this one out pretty soon.

Psion1
2006-05-31, 01:59
I actually had this problem with mine, and I guess I'm one of the lucky ones, so far... *knocks on wood*.

I got my 770 last week. Charged it over night. When I first plugged it in I noticed that the screen powered on and displayed a charging icon. I slipped on the cover and let it charge with the screen de-activated.

In the morning, I tried to power it on, but it appeared to be dead. I remembered that the screen had been on the night before, so it couldn't be completely dead. I tried to power it up again, pressing all the buttons, holding the power button for 20+ seconds, connected and disconnected the Power supply, removed and replaced the battery, etc. Finally it powered on, but I had no idea what the trick was.

For the rest of the day, it was very difficult to power on during the several times I did so, but somehow I got it to start up each time.

At night I flashed over the stock firmware with the latest one, and I've yet to experience the same powering up difficulties again.

In my case I'm inclined to conclude that it is (was) a software issue.

hdtravel
2006-05-31, 02:20
I just purchased a new 770 yesterday at CompUSA and charged it up a few hours and then anxiously tried to power it on. Nothing. Totally dead. It would only power on if I plugged it in to the charger. I downloaded the latest software update from Nokia and loaded it on and now everything is working fine. The update seemed to do the trick. All is well. I was pretty freaked out. I thought the new toy was going straight back to the store for an exchange.

Psion1
2006-05-31, 03:10
My 770 came from a CompUSA in Texas. A friend, who was on a business trip, picked it up for me, and brought it back to Canada.

I would have been SOL if I couldn't get it to work. Like you I was pretty worried about it.

It's unbelievable that brand new units could be put out on the market with such a severe issue. Maybe it's their way of weeding out the casual users from the true fans ;-)

I assume this is a recent development, as opposed to being around from the initial release back in the Fall. Therefore, I wonder if Nokia changed a one of the hardware components in our new units that is incompatible with the firmware, or was our stock/out-of-the-box firmware glitchy?

daverup
2006-05-31, 10:28
Difficulty with booting is different than the video issue on powerup.
The video issue usually has faint vertical bars or shading. This one is not recoverable by flashing.
I've had the boot issue where plugging in the the charger would somehow help. The video issue didn't respond to any combination of power and battery.

ssam
2006-09-02, 23:51
my first 770 was dead on arrival, white screen with faint vertical streaks. you hear the startup noise and barely see that stuff was happening. i returned and got a refund, then order another. now about a month later this one is showing the same syptoms again.

if i let it boot i can get it to connect to wifi by pressing where i think the buttons should be on the white screen. then i can ssh in from my laptop. i am pretty sure that if this were a driver problem then this would not be possible.

i could also copy all my files off the 770 over ssh. (you will need to have dropbear or some other ssh server installed on it. there is a howto on the maemo site). then run
scp -r root@192.168.1.101:/ .

it still under warrenty so i should be able to get it fixed.

also for the person above who had lost their receipt. under uk law proof of payment (eg credit card statement is good enough) http://www.dti.gov.uk/consumers/fact-sheets/page24700.html