PDA

View Full Version : [Canola] Canola 'Car Edition' Suggestions

rcadden
2008-02-18, 17:44
With the included mount, I've been using my N810 in the car as a media player more and more, and I wanted to start a thread with suggestions for a possible upcoming 'Car Edition' theme for Canola.

1. This particular theme should be easily accessed from the launch screen. This way I can easily use my Tablet at home with a normal theme and in the car with a 'car' theme, without having to go through the menus to change back and forth. Perhaps a car button either in the corner somewhere or something.

2. I need *some* sort of feedback when I press the button. Obviously haptic would be preferred, but isn't possible currently. Some sort of sound indicator that i've just pressed a button is entirely necessary. A click or squish sound or whatever.

3. An option in the theme to keep the backlight on during playback

4. An option to show a graphic analyzer visualization instead of album art. Doesn't need to be full-screen, but just in the album art box, show something 'fun' to look at

Those are my thoughts. Anyone else using Canola in the car, and have other suggestions to make it optimized for in-car usage?

munky261
2008-02-18, 18:10
i use it in the car as well , i second the call for a spectrum analyzer viz.

e-motion
2008-02-18, 18:29
I think a car theme would be a great addition to Canola, no doubt.

handful
2008-02-18, 21:04
With the included mount, I've been using my N810 in the car as a media player more and more, and I wanted to start a thread with suggestions for a possible upcoming 'Car Edition' theme for Canola.

1. This particular theme should be easily accessed from the launch screen. This way I can easily use my Tablet at home with a normal theme and in the car with a 'car' theme, without having to go through the menus to change back and forth. Perhaps a car button either in the corner somewhere or something.

for this I think the applet on the home coming back.. will solve =)

2. I need *some* sort of feedback when I press the button. Obviously haptic would be preferred, but isn't possible currently. Some sort of sound indicator that i've just pressed a button is entirely necessary. A click or squish sound or whatever.

Yeah, this is needed. As we don't have quite haptics =)

3. An option in the theme to keep the backlight on during playback

We just added it, but actually if you are plugged it stays on. Now we were asked to provide option not to do it. So should we add this even when the power is not plugged on?

4. An option to show a graphic analyzer visualization instead of album art. Doesn't need to be full-screen, but just in the album art box, show something 'fun' to look at

This visualization request are quite happening, but we have this huge problem of drawing good things on the screen while playing some things, so if the drawing gets a little bit more complicated it can ruin the playback : / this is something that really needs a lot of study and test as we are barely capable of updating the whole screen. For the Carman screen we had some gauges as screensavers providing real info from OBD2 if present.

Those are my thoughts. Anyone else using Canola in the car, and have other suggestions to make it optimized for in-car usage?

Thanks rccaden, we will really look in to those further.

Marcelo

rcadden
2008-02-18, 22:18
The visualization doesn't need to be full screen. Just something like the attached would be good enough.

Benson
2008-02-18, 22:58
Yeah, cause you need some distracting analyzer to look at while trying to stay in your lane....

/me ducks
;)

rcadden
2008-02-18, 23:09
Yeah, cause you need some distracting analyzer to look at while trying to stay in your lane....

/me ducks
;)

Let's not kid ourselves. We're all thinking how great this dashboard mount is for watching movies on road trips. Also, I'm the guy who records a podcast once a week while driving (well, used to be driving, have started 'parking' for the sake of video quality).

however, I greatly appreciate your concern. :)

Benson
2008-02-18, 23:26
We are? I don't want to watch videos -- just wishing for a steering wheel mount so I can play Tyrian while I'm driving.

gazza_d
2008-02-18, 23:51
Canola is almost perfect now for in-car use. What I would like to see would be some sort of shortcut or jump point system. I virtually always random mode on the whole library, and to get there currently takes several touches. commmand line option, and extra items on the system menu, or an applet, although there's never enough screen space for applets in my view.

also better audiable feedback of sucessful touches. Would it be possible to have different sound schemes, again selected at launch via command line option, and have a scheme which used voice confirmations of the options?

If we go really bluesky, include carman, and mapping/gps stuff. A ticker-tape player mode always visable at the bottom of the screen over other apps such as maemo mapper could be another alternative.

handful
2008-02-19, 00:44
EHHE =)
rcccaden: Now I see your point.
Well, I know you will probably not like my opinion, but I wouldn't add this : / cover art is for cover art IMHO, and these spectrum visualization doesn't fit to that place.

But it could be added to (ok not fullscreen) but maybe a screensaver visualization mode.

Gazza_d : we are going to improve the random mode, and I will analyze further the voice / sound feedback suggestions, I think they are really something nice to have.

About the Carman and maps stuff, they are more real than you can imagine :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/handful/2214770651/

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2207/2214770649_d2aff1c66e.jpg?v=0
Map applet, it actually can do turn by turn navigation, but we have no maps etc =)

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2366/2214770643_6dd81bee94.jpg?v=0
Simpler home menur, more items, and it's embedded in the car on the first link =)

So this give you more or less what we already have =)

And of course this is "enable car mode" and if you disabled it, goes back to the simple canola for hand use =)

That's the goal, we just need time!

Marcelo

rcadden
2008-02-19, 01:22
I like the car mode, looks good.

As to the visualizations, I personally think albums and cover art are a completely daft way to organize digital music, which motivates my desire to replace what I see as useless cover art with something useful or at least pretty to look at. However, I also realize that I'm in the vast minority in terms of how I think digital music should be organized, so no hard feelings. :)

DalLL
2008-02-19, 01:53
Hi, I've been reading the plentiful useful stuff in this forum since I got my N800. There are so many things I use it for, I just don't remember how it was like to live without one =P

anyway, I use Canola daily in my car. On my way to work and back, and even the little trips to refill petrol. What I use it mainly for is music videos. Why just play music when you can play MTV rite?
Canola is almost perfect for this.

Now that I have almost 50 of these videos on my N800, I realise a wee little problem. I can't play the videos on random, set it on repeat, create playlists etc. basically all the features a music player has. It only plays in alphabetical order.

If I may suggest, for the Car Edition, the video player would be absolutely super with the following features:

1) random mode
2) repeat mode
3) playlists
4) star rating for your favourites!

Not sure if anyone else have tried playing music videos in their cars... if you haven't, try it! I guarantee it adds a little bit more wow factor to your nokia.

gazza_d
2008-02-19, 07:42
Marcelo

Wow, I feel like Homer Simpson in a do-nut factory! That version of canola looks the business

Have you looked the possibility of plugging in maemo mapper, or wayfinder at all. Have you looked at things like dashpc also?

As for albumart, in the car I usually have canola in the background, with maemo mapper doing the gps mapping stuff on screen, so visuals are a bit redundantl hence my idea for a ticker-tape / toolbar type mode. Having Maemo mapper or similar embedded in the screeen would be a very very useful visualisation.

handful
2008-02-19, 13:35
Hi, the maps is actually something like maemo mapper, but we needed to create a " GUI " component for maps, and maemo mapper, while it works great is a big C file =) we don;t want to mess with that :)

So that is the point : this what I showed is a " normal " canola with a maps plugins, that works with any maps (like maemo mappers) does navigation and routing etc, but is not released because we cannot release it now.

But our plans is not to use it as it is.. but to create a simpler 4-way interface where you get :

1) media ( browser your media with even more easy then today)
2) navigation (flickr your finger to the side.. it goes out of media.. goes to navigation )
3) Carman ( flick to th other side you get the gauges, getting information from the OBD2)
and maybe
4) flick down you get communications, where you can make calls using your mobile phone contacts and things (using bluetooth connectivity)

=)

handful
2008-02-19, 13:45
Hi, I've been reading the plentiful useful stuff in this forum since I got my N800. There are so many things I use it for, I just don't remember how it was like to live without one =P

anyway, I use Canola daily in my car. On my way to work and back, and even the little trips to refill petrol. What I use it mainly for is music videos. Why just play music when you can play MTV rite?
Canola is almost perfect for this.

Now that I have almost 50 of these videos on my N800, I realise a wee little problem. I can't play the videos on random, set it on repeat, create playlists etc. basically all the features a music player has. It only plays in alphabetical order.

If I may suggest, for the Car Edition, the video player would be absolutely super with the following features:

1) random mode
2) repeat mode
3) playlists
4) star rating for your favourites!

Not sure if anyone else have tried playing music videos in their cars... if you haven't, try it! I guarantee it adds a little bit more wow factor to your nokia.

Well you would be happy to know that almost everything you said, will be implemented.
Arthur is looking at the random mode issue, the repeat mode you can use the menu already (but we will improve it) and playlist we are planning to do it " across" all things, so doesn;t matter if video or music.. you will be able to create on the go playlists (and save them) in videos also (but not mixing videos and audio night :)

So in a way we are quite "aligned" with you guys list, so now is time to work hard and implement the most we can!

So question ( I have also ben using without problems but... I don make canola for me)... are the buttons (play next previous) ok for you?
Would you prefer to have it on the bottom bigger ?

Br

Marcelo

DalLL
2008-02-19, 15:11
Hey Marcelo

should have known the changes are already on the way. i can't wait for the next canola update.

as for the buttons, they don't seem too small at all. never had a problem touching the right one.

yabbas
2008-02-19, 17:00
Marcelo - the maps post deserved a thanks :D

Can't wait to see where you guys take us next!

ARJWright
2008-02-19, 17:21
Car mode seems like a great idea. And the idea for being able to get into Car/Normal mode via a home page applet/panel would be a good idea too. Both look really good.

handful
2008-02-20, 09:54
ARJ : we actually are playing with the concept of, if you have OBD2, it changes automatically to car mode once in the car :) very slick, without needing to even restart canola!

:) but the home apple is for sure to come!

Br

Marcelo

munky261
2008-02-20, 20:29
i know you said the maps will be something like maemo mapper , but will you be able to include a way to use the default navicore program as i have a subscripton to it???

handful
2008-02-20, 23:25
Munky : Navicore is a proprietary software from other companies : / I think we cannot do it unfortunately : / I would like to .. but we can't!

BR

munky261
2008-02-23, 06:08
darn , well i guess whenever the black N810's come out i can get one of those and do with my reg N810 what i was thinking about doing with the N800 , going to have me a custom steering wheel made and embed my reg 810 in it to use for navigation and use the other for canola

Baloo
2008-02-26, 11:22
Hi, the maps is actually something like maemo mapper, but we needed to create a " GUI " component for maps, and maemo mapper, while it works great is a big C file =) we don;t want to mess with that :)

So that is the point : this what I showed is a " normal " canola with a maps plugins, that works with any maps (like maemo mappers) does navigation and routing etc, but is not released because we cannot release it now.

But our plans is not to use it as it is.. but to create a simpler 4-way interface where you get :

1) media ( browser your media with even more easy then today)
2) navigation (flickr your finger to the side.. it goes out of media.. goes to navigation )
3) Carman ( flick to th other side you get the gauges, getting information from the OBD2)
and maybe
4) flick down you get communications, where you can make calls using your mobile phone contacts and things (using bluetooth connectivity)

=)

Mmm, how does one go about beta testing this now ;)

handful
2008-02-26, 12:23
Hi Baloo,

I wish I could send you a test version of this 4-way ui :))) this would mean that we are already there :). The plan is to move towards Canola final version and then implement this version. I wish we had enough people to do everything faster (not "more" people doing faster actually) but the "right" people to do it :)

Br

Marcelo

Baloo
2008-02-26, 12:32
I'd be happy with just the carman integration at the moment (and navigation and ...).

I use canola every day on my 160km journey to work and back and it works great. I mainly listen to podcasts and the occasional audio book so better podcast support is high on my wanted list. I also use canola in the gym whist I'm on the treadmill, watching video podcasts that I've converted to run on the tablet so native video support for these would be the icing on the cake.

Bringing navigation, carman and canola together is a wonderful prospect and one which I am very much looking forward to.

ARJWright
2008-02-26, 22:38
I'd be happy with just the carman integration at the moment (and navigation and ...).

I use canola every day on my 160km journey to work and back and it works great. I mainly listen to podcasts and the occasional audio book so better podcast support is high on my wanted list. I also use canola in the gym whist I'm on the treadmill, watching video podcasts that I've converted to run on the tablet so native video support for these would be the icing on the cake.

Bringing navigation, carman and canola together is a wonderful prospect and one which I am very much looking forward to.

I'm with you there. Canola is probably the one app that I look at as making me consider using my N800 as a removable head unit. Of course, I'd have to do a few other mods on my console, but to have OBD2 at my fingertips to play with, while playing the music on my tablet is just very nice.

Benson
2008-02-26, 23:22
darn , well i guess whenever the black N810's come out i can get one of those and do with my reg N810 what i was thinking about doing with the N800 , going to have me a custom steering wheel made and embed my reg 810 in it to use for navigation and use the other for canola

Wait'll you crash and the airbag propels the N810 into your face... Do make sure and disable the airbag if you proceed with this, OK?

Laughing Man
2008-02-27, 00:31
Haha, neither is a good idea. Disabling an air bag or having the n810 or n800 in a steering wheel. Plus, depending on what state you are in it's probably against the law.

munky261
2008-02-27, 07:49
was going to toally remove the airbag.... going to be getting a saturn sky roadster soon and an 810 will look freakin sweet in the steering wheel

ghoonk
2008-02-27, 08:30
Wait'll you crash and the airbag propels the N810 into your face... Do make sure and disable the airbag if you proceed with this, OK?

Brings a whole new meaning to the term embedded technology when the ER guys have to remove the tablet from his face :D :D

asqwasqw
2008-02-28, 04:01
wow, this is just amazing, its like every time that i come over and take a look, you guys are blowing me away with something great,
the work and effort that is obviously being put in is phenomenal
and i personally cant wait for the day when i have to choose which apps to put in because there are so many, and the response time, i mean, its crazy how fast you guys move
car mode, youtube, messing with the ui (according to our sugestions too)
just top grade, just brilliant
btw, some more icons for car mode i think would be good, as you are driving...
also a more visual ui seems to make sense for on the topic of driving, as it makes it easier to hit the right button, and while its nothing like haptics or sound, i do think that it would help for drivers

handful
2008-02-29, 12:55
@asq : yeah we are looking into those details, but we need to hear from you these :) so thanks for the tips, I think we are in the right track (you saw that carman mode has no submenu, and has 6 item on the front to avoid more clicking as you have a limited set of features (canola is the opposite)

Thanks again!

Quartz
2008-03-13, 02:43
.. are the buttons (play next previous) ok for you?
Would you prefer to have it on the bottom bigger ?

YES. for a 'car mode' at least.

if it's winter and you're wearing gloves, it can be rather difficult to hit the buttons on the first try. this is especially true if you're driving on a bumpy road. I'd happily sacrifice the album art area if it meant getting buttons that are an inch wide.

also, I'll throw in another vote for "on the go" playlist creation like what the ipods have. this is the one thing preventing me from totally replacing my ipod with my tablet.

handful
2008-03-13, 03:14
Quartz : on the go is coming :) we tested it a lot this week, but first on the line was "browse by folder". We already can play somethings on the on the go... now we need to finish the management (you can save list as...) and then release it on beta7 :) so once is done, I hope you can really replace the ipod with the tablet :))

Marcelo

mikevraziel
2008-04-02, 09:43
Hi,
Is it possible to connect a remote control to canola ? Using LIRC or bluetooth HID may be ?

Edit: It would be cool to have a steering wheel bluetooth remote like PIONEER CD-SR1

http://www.electronicexpress.com/images/products/large/9339.jpg

handful
2008-04-02, 11:12
Today we are not supporting it officially, but as we are with the guidelines to implement the hardware keys support it will be easier.

But keep in mind : there's no "selected" state in canola touchscreen and will not be, so using fully on a remote control (browse a list and select an item) will not happen in the official releases.

Br

Marcelo

mikevraziel
2008-04-02, 13:44
Hi,
Where can I find the information regarding functionalties of the hardware keys in Canola context ? As to what command a key sends when it is pressed, like for example the big square button on n800 sends left,right,up and down. Cant figure out what VOL +/- sends !

Is there a way to remap these keys. Sorry if the questions have been asked before.

Thanks again.

handful
2008-04-02, 19:36
Mike,

This was not implemented yet, but I think our release of the desktop version will help on that. I will also ask Morpheuz when he has time to enter the info here :)

Thanks!

Marcelo

Benson
2008-04-02, 22:41
Haha, neither is a good idea. Disabling an air bag or having the n810 or n800 in a steering wheel. Plus, depending on what state you are in it's probably against the law.

Not sure why, if disabling an airbag is such a bad idea, cars have switches on them to allow it. Any time (for whatever reason) a "safety" feature hurts rather than helps safety, it is a good idea to disable it.

The N8x0 in the steering wheel is, naturally, a tradeoff between safety (both because of the required airbag removal and potentially because of distraction) and <insert benefits depending on what you do with it>. Not necessarily bad or good; it depends on the relative value you place on those.

Illegal? Possibly, depending on the age of the car. Nanny laws are annoying things. And a Saturn Sky is certainly new enough it will likely be an issue.

Laughing Man
2008-04-03, 00:14
True, air bags that hurt instead of help should be removed. But usually air bags are in there for safety reasons during an accident. The reason why cars probably have switches is so people who work on cars can work in that area or change the air bag (though it needs changing it's probably already been deployed) can do it without the air bag going off.

Benson
2008-04-03, 00:35
Well, I was referring to passenger-side airbags. They have (consumer-accessible) switches to disable them when someone small is riding there. (Someone small couldn't see over the wheel, so driver's side generally has only service switches.) And if disabling an airbag is ever a good idea, then it's definitely so if you're putting the N800 in the wheel.

munky261
2008-04-03, 00:51
i look at it this way , if i flip the sky or get in a serious wreck... im f***ed either way , the airbag aint gonna do jack....and as far as im concerned i dont give a rats *** about the legality of removing the airbag

Benson
2008-04-03, 01:00
Not the sorta thing you really oughta be posting on line, at least if you think you might wanna be able to claim ignorance if you get in trouble...

Anyway, just buy an older car (MX-5 or RX-7 convertible, maybe) with no airbags, then you're clean. Or whatever suits you.

Safety-wise, airbags aren't totally useless or anything, but they're low enough that I consider disabling it a reasonable choice. But, with the alternative of a steering wheel remote, I'm not sure I'd go for it, personally.

mikevraziel
2008-04-28, 12:58
Any updates on Canola Car edition ? Release schedule or sneak peak ?

Thanks.

Baloo
2008-04-28, 13:11
I would love this too but I bet the answer will be along the lines of 'we are concentrating on getting Canola finished first'. :)

handful
2008-04-28, 21:39
Well,

I also wished that was the sentence : but we are slower than the usual now :/ resource problems, too much work, too little dev power :/

But I think beta nine is coming soon :/

Marcelo

Baloo
2008-04-29, 07:34
Let us know if there is anything the community can do to help. There are some pretty good people around these parts including developers, testers, e.t.c.

handful
2008-04-29, 20:01
Hi Baloo, for sure, that's why we don't stop our "request" to open the source code here inside... so people could "adopt it "

:)

Marcelo

Modred189
2008-05-09, 00:31
I use Canola on my N800 every day in the car. i use it with a FM transmitter to get the audio into my car's stock stereo.
Ironically, I drive a Toyota Corolla. I listen to Canola in my Corolla.

Anyway, I'll be honest, i don't find any issues at all with the current setup except that I would opt for slightly bigger bigger buttons.

handful
2008-05-13, 22:15
Modred: nice, you will like the car version :) bigger buttons, slide fingers to change music (and albums was suggested by users) and easier way of jumping to other applications.

Marcelo