PDA

View Full Version : I had a DREAM!

abarrow
2008-02-21, 12:07
Forgive me if this sounds like both a ramble and a rant. I sit here in my office in Angola, thunderstorm raging outside, and I'm thinking of heading home in two weeks - a two day journey.

I got my N800 almost exactly a year ago now. I couldn't wait for it to come out, and I was happy to pay full price when it did. I saw the integrated camera, the promise of Skype and the ability of so much flash storage as something that would make those long lonely trips back and forth to Africa more bearable.

I had a vision, a dream. I would take out my new N800, pop a bluetooth headset on my ear and the camera out the side. I'd call my friends on Skype from those WIFI equipped airport lounges and we would have cool video chats. What a dream!

After a few months, Skype finally came out. Alas, no video, but I was still happy to make calls. No bluetooth headset either, but hey, the wired headset wasn't too bad...

Finally, OS2008 came out, and bluetooth headsets were now possible. Now, there's progress! Alas, even the simple beta video chat tool that Nokia released was withdrawn, and still no video Skype.

Two weeks ago, my 80 year old mother got her first computer - a laptop. My dad also got her a webcam to go with it, as she was having so much fun seeing us on the video when we would call from our own webcam equipped laptops. Now, she can make video calls using Skype anytime she wants.

As I was heading out on this trip, I thought about calling her from the airport, using my N800. I stopped myself. Why? I could imagine her saying, "Honey, what's wrong with your computer? I can't see you!".

What do you think, guys, do you think we'll see video Skype on our N8x0s in our lifetimes?

Karel Jansens
2008-02-21, 12:56
No.
_______

devaler
2008-02-21, 13:28
It sure doesn't seem likely. The N8x0's unofficial motto is: "A Dream Deferred"

Texrat
2008-02-21, 13:46
Switch to Gizmo. ;)

GeneralAntilles
2008-02-21, 14:00
Switch to Gizmo. ;)

Skype is gross and proprietary, anyway.

Plus, you get to use the wonderful built-in SIP client with Gizmo!

DJames1
2008-02-21, 15:15
Skype is gross and proprietary, anyway.

Plus, you get to use the wonderful built-in SIP client with Gizmo!

Right....

And the world is going to switch from gross and proprietary Windoze to Linux any time now...

The lack of usable webcam support on the N8x0 is the single most embarrassing fault of these models. I hate showing the webcam to people! The first thing they ask is "Can you use it to make Skype video calls?"

Texrat
2008-02-21, 15:17
Once again: Gizmo Gizmo Gizmo.

Tabster
2008-02-21, 16:44
today I have been using the built-in Internet call using Google ID. This had video and audio and worked pretty well.

Is Gizmo better than this?

(edit) I was going from an N810 to an N800 - maybe I need Gizmo to go to a PC?

johnkzin
2008-02-21, 16:58
Switch to Gizmo. ;)

Yes, I'm sure his grandmother, on her first computer ever, will get right on switching herself and her entire family over to Gizmo.

I've got a better idea: Nokia should get Skype Video to work.

sherifnix
2008-02-21, 17:01
Once again: Gizmo Gizmo Gizmo.

Everyone uses Skype!

Texrat
2008-02-21, 17:02
Yes, I'm sure his grandmother, on her first computer ever, will get right on switching herself and her entire family over to Gizmo.

I've got a better idea: Nokia should get Skype Video to work.

Sorry, I didn't know his grandmother was stuck on Skype. :rolleyes:

And some of you just don't get it: it isn't up to Nokia to get video working on Skype. It's up to Skype.

Gizmo folks got it working... what's Skype's holdup? Quit aiming the anger at the wrong people, focus it where it belongs, and demand THEY fix it.

sachin007
2008-02-21, 17:04
I have used gizmo... and it is pretty useful for video chatting. Well it would be great if we had skype video chat....but until than instead of crying we could use gizmo.

acevid
2008-02-21, 17:06
I too had a similar dream...I assumed the IT would support H.323

(See Polycom, Tandberg, Aethra, Sony..MS NetMeeting etc.)

95% of video conferencing today is done using H.323

H.323 is simple, mature and well..everywhere...

Hey, I know SIP is probably the future..but this device would really benefit by supporting this STANDARD.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.323

http://www.openh323.org

http://www.h323plus.org

johnkzin
2008-02-21, 17:08
I don't think it's even a matter of "everyone uses skype". It's a matter of:

Giving the users to choose
Fully supporting the choices given

Having an 80% supported client isn't a full choice.

Locking people into particular choices isn't any more embracing of openness than avoiding a "gross and proprietary" solution. Forcing them to abandon Skype and use Gizmo is just as "gross" and limiting a solution as forcing them to only use Skype.

johnkzin
2008-02-21, 17:11
Sorry, I didn't know his grandmother was stuck on Skype. :rolleyes:

And some of you just don't get it: it isn't up to Nokia to get video working on Skype. It's up to Skype.

Gizmo folks got it working... what's Skype's holdup? Quit aiming the anger at the wrong people, focus it where it belongs, and demand THEY fix it.

Nokia had zero involvement in getting Skype onto the NIT? No deals were made, Skype just showed up on the NIT one day, all on their own?

Texrat
2008-02-21, 17:19
Nokia had zero involvement in getting Skype onto the NIT? No deals were made, Skype just showed up on the NIT one day, all on their own?

Oh boy, a sarcasm war! :D

John, who's doing the actual coding? Who developed the proprietary protocols? Need a hint?

I have another question: how is it that video works for Google talk and Gizmo? I'll give a hint on this one: search the friggin' forum and you'll find the answer.

Sheesh.

Texrat
2008-02-21, 17:20
I don't think it's even a matter of "everyone uses skype". It's a matter of:

Giving the users to choose
Fully supporting the choices given

Having an 80% supported client isn't a full choice.

Locking people into particular choices isn't any more embracing of openness than avoiding a "gross and proprietary" solution. Forcing them to abandon Skype and use Gizmo is just as "gross" and limiting a solution as forcing them to only use Skype.

No one at Nokia locked users into Gizmo or Google talk for video, John.

Relax, move past your current anger, do a little research, and the answer to your questions will be revealed.

sjgadsby
2008-02-21, 17:52
For me, "proprietary, VOIP, video-chat solution" boldly advances uselessness in at least three directions, but for the good of the entire ITT community, I really, really hope Skype adds video support to their Internet tablet client soon. Far too many people have been upset by that glaring omission in the software for far too long, and it's causing a lot of pain. It's clearly high time for Skype to add video support so we, as a community, can begin to heal and more forward united...to complain about how the video quality sucks.

johnkzin
2008-02-21, 18:19
Oh boy, a sarcasm war! :D

John, who's doing the actual coding? Who developed the proprietary protocols? Need a hint?

I have another question: how is it that video works for Google talk and Gizmo? I'll give a hint on this one: search the friggin' forum and you'll find the answer.

Sheesh.

Who did the coding is irrelevant. What is relevant is that Nokia has a relationship with Skype, has the leverage that goes with that relationship, and the user perception of device usefulness and device satisfaction is tied to Nokia, not Skype. Therefore, users will go to Nokia with issues, and it is Nokia's burden to use their relationship with Skype to get those issues fixed.

If Nokia doesn't want Skype users to pick a different Skype device, or "upgrade" to a non-Nokia Skype device, then Nokia has to manage the situation, not the customers. If Nokia doesn't want to do that, then they should completely sever their relationship with Skype, instead of having a sort of half-assed relationship with Skype.

If Nokia doesn't like that, then they shouldn't be doing things like playing up Skype capability in the product blurbs, nor including Skype as a featured download in the application menu, etc. Just relegate Skype to the same download app status as any other third party app (like, say, Gizmo). THEN and only THEN has Nokia removed itself from the picture of who the user should go to when an application isn't being fully delivered.

Nokia's official mesage shouldn't be "just use Gizmo instead" when Skype IS on the official app list, and Gizmo IS NOT. (and, yes, I know you're not necessarily speaking for Nokia in an official capacity on this, but you also didn't direct us to the official channel for complaining to Nokia, either) It's not like Nokia sold me a device that has no mention of Skype anywhere, and I just stumbled onto a Skype client for the NIT.

It is not as agnostic a situation for Nokia as it would be if we were talking about missing functionality with Gizmo. Or Pidgin. Or Clawmail. etc. Nokia is the vendor of this platform. The platform, out of the box, has a nice prominent shiny Skype logo in the application menu (so, it's part of the base product, even if it's just an installer link at first). Therefore, problems with making that base platform work in its entirety go to Nokia. The situation is only comparable to Gizmo if Gizmo also has such a logo bundled into the product. Or if Skype stops having such a logo bundled into the product.

And, I'm not angry. I don't even directly care about video conferencing (with any application/protocol). Remember, I'm the person who keeps suggesting that the NITs should have a picture camera, even if it's at the expense of the chat camera. What I am, though, is rigorous about who has responsibility for what, and Nokia is not without responsibility on this issue. Shirking it back to the users, when Nokia definitely shows itself as having a product based relationship with Skype, is not taking responsibility for its own role and relationship with Skype.

Texrat
2008-02-21, 18:19
Good points Steve.

I also apologize in general and especially to johnkzin for posting in exasperation. I just have this thing about assigning blame and credit where they're truly due...

But I wouldn't hold my breath where Skype is concerned. Remember, it was purchased by ebay under Meg Whitman's direction-- and she's gone now, replaced by a CEO determined to "enhance ebay's revenue" even at the price of pissing off longtime sellers. I could see him scrapping Skype. Even if they try to sell it, that act alone could put the service in peril.

Texrat
2008-02-21, 18:25
Who did the coding is irrelevant.

Actually, no it isn't. With a VOIP client, or any other software actually, everything comes down to the coding. Period.

Again: Gizmo video works. Googletalk video works. Why is that? Simple answer: SIP. I.E., openness. Skype is closed. Ebay owns it, not Nokia. If you want improvements, it's helpful to focus your energy at the proper party.

It is Skype's and Skype's responsibility alone to get video working on the tablets, I don't care how loud and long anyone protests to the contrary. Nokia isn't writing their code for them. Nokia provides devices, APIs, and technical specs. That's really all they are obliged to provide to any developer. Anything above that is gravy.

As for "official messages", kindly read my disclaimer, thanks.

EDIT: your claim that Skype is part of the base product simply due to bundling and/or advertisement is fatally mistaken. As long as you cling to that error, I'm wasting my time arguing. Try thinking it through, John. There is a distinction here.

johnkzin
2008-02-21, 18:32
Nokia provides devices, APIs, and technical specs.

And a bundled Skype experience. Therefore, they have responsibility wrt to Skype that they don't have with other 3rd party apps.

If they don't like Skype anymore, if they don't want to be responsible for customer complaints about Skype on the NIT, then they should remove that bundled installer/icon, and drop mention of Skype from their literature.

Texrat
2008-02-21, 18:33
Again: the bundling is not as important as you surmise. But as long as you persist in that flawed notion, I'm done. That's a big axle.

Laughing Man
2008-02-21, 18:36
Not to mention Skype video on Linux machines is just in beta. It'll be months to years before we see it. They have to first get it working completly on Linux before running it on Linux internet tablets is even considered.

Texrat
2008-02-21, 18:38
Not to mention Skype video on Linux machines is just in beta. It'll be months to years before we see it. They have to first get it working completly on Linux before running it on Linux internet tablets is even considered.

Bingo.

And I wish I could comment in more detail on what a ___ _____ it was to ___________ bundle Skype with the tablets in the first place, but I still like my job. ;)

sachin007
2008-02-21, 18:57
As far as i can remember..... Gizmo(link) was also included in os2008.

Indeed in communications it clearly says gizmo video and Im.

Better get your basics right before arguing.

acevid
2008-02-21, 19:28
You know..just releasing a H.323 client would solve so much if this...yeah, I know SIP is standards based too, but H.323 is all set, ready to go...hell, MS NetMeeting is friggin bundled with the most popular OS on the planet (notice I didn't say the best) and it supports H.323!

The real issues is being standards based and standards complient..a lot people try to have a goofy proprietary SIP thing going on..

AND..H.323 will do multi-point calls now (provided you call a H.323 MCU or endpoint with embedded MCU)

johnkzin
2008-02-21, 20:05
As far as i can remember..... Gizmo(link) was also included in os2008.

Indeed in communications it clearly says gizmo video and Im.

Better get your basics right before arguing.

Wow. You're right. I don't use that sub-menu, ever, because I don't use the built in email/IM clients. I'm sorry I hadn't noticed where Gizmo was in the state of things.

So, my examples of Gizmo being compared as a non-bundled (vs Skype being bundled) application aren't valid. But I still think that my point about Skype being bundled (as opposed to the examples I gave for pidgin and clawmail) meaning that there is a higher level of obligation on Nokia's part, has merit.

But, yeah, texrat is right that the back and forth has gone past its usefulness. I'll stop beating this dead horse now.

Texrat
2008-02-21, 20:18
I'm not meaning to beat the dead horse, but consider this: who does bundling truly benefit?

That's a very important question that leads to understanding of why this is MUCH more Skype's responsibility than Nokia's. ;)

Benson
2008-02-21, 20:40
An excellent point, which I was just riding in to bellow at people. Even if Nokia were porting Skype themselves, they'd be going from the Linux version. So they would barely have gotten hold of a copy to start with right now...

But one possible solution to the whole "I have Gizmo, they have Skype" problem: Now that Skype for Linux has video, someone needs to set up Gizmo and Skype on the same machine, with clever loopback video and audio drivers. (Actually, the audio could just be a loopback cable, that won't do it for video though.) Gizmo to that, which Skypes to $SKYPE_ADDICT. Cumbersome, but maybe, eventually workable.

sleepkyng
2008-02-21, 20:40
the more i read these forums, the more i understand why linux and linux based gadgets are a long long way from winning over the average joe.

"use gizmo, gawd..."

there's the people that change the world with technology, and then there's the coders who get linux working on the nintendo ds.

Texrat
2008-02-21, 20:45
Hey, more Unintentional Irony from sleepkyng!

You have a knack for that.

abarrow
2008-02-22, 06:43
Yikes! Hey guys, the last thing I wanted was to start an argument among our more esteemed contributors. I guess by starting this post I was hoping for someone to come out with something like, "Hey, you didn't see the annoucement? It'll be ready in a month.", or perhaps, "Here's a work-around that that will help you." Perhaps the tone of my original message was a bit too confrontational.

I'm a 30 year IT/Networking professional. Linux has been a huge part of my life, ever since I started with version 1.2 back when Linus was still wondering what job to get after university. I've fought the good fight as much as possible, given employment with a major multi-national who doesn't see IT risk as important as the risk we might take on the next oil well. We use Linux now, mainly in technical workstations and super-power number cruncher clusters. I'm not sure our management even understands the origins of the software that is helping them make so much money. Not sure they even care.

I say that to say this: If there's one thing I've learned it is that you need to go with the flow sometimes. When I open my Skype client, I see that 10,000,000 number of logged on users at the bottom. I realize that going to my long contact list and convincing all those people to start using Gizmo, or Google Talk, is probably going to be futile.

Do I think the world would be better off with all open source software? Sure. Do I think it will ever happen completely? No. There's just too much momentum from closed source efforts and too much marketing.

I think a lot of people in the industry were taken by surprise when Skype's viral marketing campagn was successful, and got them millions of users. I for one agree with a lot of telecom industry folks who say that SIP based systems are the future of VoIP. That being said, Skype is the 1000 pound gorilla right now, and I don't think anyone would count them out for a long time to come. They've got way too much momentum.

So, one way or the other, we need to acknoledge that Skype is here to stay. If we can't get native video Skype clients for the IT, we should at least look for some sort of gateway mechanism that would allow interaction.

Nokia isn't stupid (nor are certain employees of said company...). Clearly if the IT is intended to be marketed successfully, it needs to appeal to the mass market. As a communications tool, a huge part of that mass market is Skype users. My intention with my first post was to help folks see that video capabilities with programs like Skype are now "easy enough for your mother". I think the expectation from a lot of folks is that these capabilities should be available in a small handheld tool that was always intended to have video.

I understand that Nokia is dependent on Skype/Ebay for the development of video Skype for the IT. I also understand that from a marketing point of view, it is in Nokia's best interest to show customers that the full capabilies of the IT can be utilized.

icebox
2008-02-22, 08:15
IMHO what Nokia could do is to let Skype know the unhappiness of IT users. Say "Skype, you see we are bundling as agreed, but users are upset at the quality of the bundled software"

Second point, I agree that momentum is great, it's the problem of the chicken and egg. I would use google talk and gizmo but at the moment I have 5 contacts which use gtalk and around 50 on yahoo messenger. I would give up the resource hungry yahoo client (I'm talking about the winxp one) in no time but I can't.

The same for voice. I would like to use gizmo or gtalk, but I am tied up to yahoo and skype (yahoo being no voice both on my IT and on my Symbian phone)

aflegg
2008-02-22, 13:46
The one advantage Skype has - which was one of their USPs when they first launched - is that its protocol seamlessly traverses NAT routers.

Recently, my wife was visiting her family and although both N810s had worked well with the Internet Call feature built-in when connected to the same WLAN at home, it didn't work at all from within my WLAN to her device inside her parents' WLAN.

So, we tried Gizmo, which at least connected the call but no audio or video was transmitted. We gave up and used a phone instead.

Given most users are a) behind NAT routers on wireless and b) nowhere near as technical as me, how anyone uses these features is beyond me (does anyone use these features?)

Certainly I'd like to get it solved - even if it involves punching holes in my firewall - when I go to JavaOne (http://www.maemopeople.org/index.php/jaffa/2008/02/19/wi_fi_triangulation#comments) in May.

Texrat
2008-02-22, 13:56
I understand that Nokia is dependent on Skype/Ebay for the development of video Skype for the IT. I also understand that from a marketing point of view, it is in Nokia's best interest to show customers that the full capabilies of the IT can be utilized.

Nokia did its part. Skype was bundled with the product and promoted. So your point above was addressed.

What those slamming Nokia over this fail to realize is that there's more to this story than is being mentioned, and I truly thought that as professional adults SOMEone here would have realized what hasn't been said in regards to Skype's responsibility. Unfortunately I can't go into it, and what I want to suggest is mostly speculative on my part-- but surely anyone who's been involved in software and/or consumer device development could figure it out. But maybe I can say it in an oblique way. For one, research Software Bundling Agreements and look at what the bundler typically requires from the application provider-- as well as standard disclaimers of liability. That ought to be enough to get the dialog going in the right direction. ;)

DistantFire
2008-02-22, 14:18
I had a dream, too... that the N800 would allow me to video chat in Yahoo. Has that happened yet? No. I'll bet there are people out there who were dreaming that the N800 would let them video chat in PalTalk. Or wherever. (These would be the responsibility of someone other than Nokia of course... it'd be Pidgin or Paltak or whoever.)

Bottom line ... as our community grows, the hopes and dreams will expand to fill the available imagination bandwidth. Not all will be realized. Many will be. I still have to pinch myself every few days when yet another program surfaces that I MUST have. I can't wait to see what becomes available tomorrow. Maybe it'll be my dream application. Maybe it'll be one more I hadn't realized I can't live without until I see it.

Life is good!
DF

penguinbait
2008-02-22, 14:50
I had a dream. A dream of a handheld linux device. I drooled over the zaurus for a long time, but it was like 600$ and just not quite worth it. I thought many times about buying one, but just couldn't bring myself to do it.

Then comes a new device, a 770 made by Nokia. It runs linux, nice screen, xterm and ssh from anywhere over my phone. Wow, and only 350$, what a deal.

Nokia could not make any software and I would still be happy. My dream was realized on Jan 2nd 2006 (when I bought my first internet tablet 770), then with my n800 in Jan 2007, and to my absolute amazement the n810 in Jan 2008.

Could you pinch me now? No No wait, I want to see what this dream brings next.

Currently I am dreaming of more RAM :)

Thanks Nokia/Maemo Team

TA-t3
2008-02-22, 15:13
I never dreamt about video..

but I started to see the potential in a portable small computing device and got myself a Palm T3, installed developer kits etc. etc.

No wi-fi, so I bought a wi-fi card. Thus occupying the single SD slot (made it a bit tricky to download anything to the card..). Even with the developer kit it was a bit tedious. Closed-source problems: phonelink application didn't support my carrier. Didn't support latin-1 characters. Vendor didn't bother updating the software, no way to fix it myself. More closed-source problems (no way to fix other drivers).

Then the Palm lifedrive came along: One SD slot, internal harddisk (4GB). Looked at it. No way to upgrade the internal storage (except through major surgery). People told me the HD introduced latency problems (spin up/spin down) etc.

An image started to appear in my mind: An open-source based device with built-in wi-fi and bluetooth, and instead of built-in harddisk it should simply have an extra internal SD slot which made for instant upgradable internal storage and no moving parts. The outside SD slot would then be freely available for the things I used the SD slot on my T3 for. As for the open-source system it would preferrably be Linux, as I've been using it for years and have lots of development experience.

I bought a second-hand old version of the Sharp Zaurus just to get a feel for a Linux-based PDA, even with its limitations.

As for my wishes for the 2-slot PDA I expressed my wish design over on Brighthand in the Lifedrive discussion forum.

Then suddenly the Nokia 770 appeared out of nowhere. Linux-based, almost what I wanted. But it had a single slot and used the rubbish RS-MMC card, and it had just half of the memory I felt it should have. I outlined what I would want on one of the Nokia blogs: 2 SD slots, 128MB RAM etc.

Then the N800 came out, pretty much exactly to my specifications - I'm not making this up! I naturally ordered one the same day as it was announced.

(Since then it's gone downhill though as Nokia seems to have abandoned the direction the N800 was taking).

DJames1
2008-02-22, 15:59
I don't think anyone intended to imply that the N8x0 is useless without webcam support, or that Nokia's development team are doing a bad job. It's just that this is a glaring hole at the moment - you have a nice handheld internet tablet with a camera, but you still can't use the camera for any useful purpose a year later.

- Nokia's own software: gone
- Skype: still no video support on the N8x0, none on the horizon
- Google Talk: only has video support between tablets, not on PC (huh??)
- Gizmo: beta product that very few people in the broader world have

Rather than attempt to assign fault, I would think that Nokia would want to see this hole filled.

nilchak
2008-02-22, 16:14
I never dreamt about video..
Then the N800 came out, pretty much exactly to my specifications - I'm not making this up! I naturally ordered one the same day as it was announced.

(Since then it's gone downhill though as Nokia seems to have abandoned the direction the N800 was taking).

Having bought a N800 (and reflashed to OS2008, never used the OS2007) and also a N810, how does the N810 become a downhill direction from the n800 ?

And what's the rationale behind your though of N800 -> N810 road being an abondonment by Nokia of the road taken with the N800 ?

Texrat
2008-02-22, 16:19
IRather than attempt to assign fault, I would think that Nokia would want to see this hole filled.

Who said we don't?

Again, specific to the original post: video on Skype is Skype's responsibility. The same applies to other externally owned and developed applications and clients.

As for in-house development, I can't comment.

TA-t3
2008-02-22, 16:32
Having bought a N800 (and reflashed to OS2008, never used the OS2007) and also a N810, how does the N810 become a downhill direction from the n800 ?

And what's the rationale behind your though of N800 -> N810 road being an abondonment by Nokia of the road taken with the N800 ?
If you read that list of specifications I had dreamt about it included an internal SD slot (for easy upgrade of internal storage) plus the traditional external SD slot. The N810 gave up on all of that. From what has been hinted at by others these features are not coming back. For some people it doesn't matter, for me it matters a lot (which is why this was my dream specification).

acevid
2008-02-22, 17:13
it's simple...a client that supports THE STANDARD

http://www.itu.int/rec/T-REC-H.323/e

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.323

http://www.openh323.org

http://www.h323plus.org

http://www.polycom.com/usa/en/home/index.html

http://www.tandberg.com

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_NetMeeting

Benson
2008-02-22, 17:37
Acevid, are you holding the forums hostage here? "Hand over the h323 compatibility, or I'll keep adding links about it to my sig, and keep posting!" ;)

acevid
2008-02-22, 17:41
LOL...sorry...I suppose it is bad forum behavior.. the end..hee-hee-hee

Texrat
2008-02-22, 19:00
Wow, how did we overlook THIS option?

http://internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14529

geneven
2008-02-22, 19:25
If I started selling something and had an agreement with another party that they would provide x and I would provide y, and I did provide y and they didn't provide x, I would be thinking about suing the other party, out of a sense of responsibility to my customers.

Texrat
2008-02-22, 19:31
Lawsuits aren't always an answer, geneven... and I would hope that even when they are it's as a very last resort.

eetimm
2008-02-22, 19:50
There is a "damned if you do...." kind of vibe going on here. If Nokia had developed a proprietary machine, everyone would now be complaining about how it was not open. But since they went with an open OS and applications, everyone complains that they just are not doing enough, or not holding Skype's feet to the fire.

Since Skype only released a linux version with video recently, I think it is a bit much to expect that Nokia should have leverage to force a video version for the IT. As far as suing Skype for not providing software...how do you know that the agreement included video? I would say that Skype delivered a good bit--we can use their software on the IT...yes, video would be nice, but you still can make Skype calls on the tablet.

geneven
2008-02-22, 20:11
"how do you know that the agreement included video"

I don't, but I thought that Texrat's oblique post implied that it did. As always, he seems to know what's up. And, btw, I didn't mean to say that a lawsuit would be necessary. I would think that the threat might be enough, or merely a reminder that the agreement hasn't been followed.

Texrat
2008-02-22, 20:20
Even if the agreement was to include video, and that was not fulfilled, I would not even start with a threat of a lawsuit. That's a surefire way to sour future relations. There are myriad ways to handle such issues along with the way they're communicated to customers... but if I go any farther I'm in risky territory. ;)

fpp
2008-02-22, 21:14
There is a "damned if you do...." kind of vibe going on here. If Nokia had developed a proprietary machine, everyone would now be complaining about how it was not open. But since they went with an open OS and applications, everyone complains that they just are not doing enough, or not holding Skype's feet to the fire.
Since Skype only released a linux version with video recently, I think it is a bit much to expect that Nokia should have leverage to force a video version for the IT. As far as suing Skype for not providing software...how do you know that the agreement included video? I would say that Skype delivered a good bit--we can use their software on the IT...yes, video would be nice, but you still can make Skype calls on the tablet.

Great wrap up ! Personally I couldn't care less about Skype and/or video calls. In its latest OS2008 implementation, Nokia's SIP stack finally works with my ISP's VoIP service... which comes bundled with my DSL line, and gives me free unlimited calls to 70 countries (including mine :-).

Open standards are the way to go.

johnkzin
2008-02-22, 22:13
I would not even start with a threat of a lawsuit.

Yeah, even I wouldn't go that far.

And we all know what a P.I.T.A. I am ;-)