PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here not have a screen protector on there N800?

SPCartmanland
2008-02-22, 13:16
if so how has it held up ? currently i dont have one and i was wondering if one was really needed i tend to baby all my electronics so i figure it should be ok

richie
2008-02-22, 14:23
I've had a N800 for almost a year, without a screen protector and it is fine.

Rich

Benson
2008-02-22, 14:25
Yes, that would be me (and some others). Had it for a few months; I now have one scratch on it. No visible stylus wear, that one's from accidental abuse. (Carelessly shoving it in my pocket with my keys, while thinking of something else, then walked around awhile.) I normally carry it in either pants or jacket pocket, inside the sock that comes with. The sock stays in the pocket with its grippy suede, and the N800 slips out freely.

There are some who disagree with me of course, and think you need a screen protector on the N800, and even the odd troll who claims Nokia should have included one. It's only $200, and at the rate they keep cranking out successors, I figure I'll be replacing it within 2 years. I'm confident I won't see serious wear in that time, but YMMV. And, of course, if I'd had a protector on when I was careless, I'd just have to replace the protector, so maybe it would be good for careless idiots like me...

DistantFire
2008-02-22, 14:31
I've had mine for 3 months and still have the original film it shipped with. I bought one of the protectors when the price dropped to $6 but I have yet to install it. I know I will eventually, but as the original is holding up, I haven't bothered.

The screen is fine. The film has spots where the keyboard has been used for a lot of stylus typing, but nothing that detracts from viewing.

TA-t3
2008-02-22, 14:53
Mine is fine after 13 months and more. No screen protector. I bought one at one time, but it was impossible to apply it without getting hundreds of bubbles - it was one of those washable, stiff ones. Too stiff, as it turned out.

I keep the screen clean by careful washing. What scratches the screen isn't the stylus (unless it's damaged), it's dirt and dust and other particles on the screen, which the stylus may drag along the screen (and scratch it).

bhang
2008-02-22, 16:34
mine is about 3 months old and never had one and never will....

i hate them

bhang

instigator
2008-02-22, 16:44
In the days before I got a screen protector at times it felt like I was dragging a rusty nail along the screen - no matter how clean it was. A good screen protector stops that. The best investment you can make IMHO.

debudebu
2008-02-22, 16:45
i use a screen protector but no case. cases are bulky and get in the way.

RedMist
2008-02-22, 22:41
I had one until today when i saw it have a massive scratch on it so i had to remove it.

i can only think the cat jumped on it claws splayed.

ill be getting another asap!!!!!

Scarflash
2008-02-22, 22:58
Just get one, considering the cost of the n800 averages $200, a screen protector from invisible shield costs only $7 with free shipping. Plus, it's added security.

johsua
2008-02-22, 23:04
I don't. I also have a 770 and don't use one. There are scratches, but I don't notice them. It seems to be a personal preference thing. My screen has smudges etc... I think it gives it character.

mobiledivide
2008-02-22, 23:17
I used my N800 for about 10 months without one, no scratches some smudges. I have an N810 without one now and I have no scratches on it yet. I guess my opinion is that I am not going to cry if I get a scratch anyway, its a tool and like all tools there will be wear and tear.

tlacuache
2008-02-22, 23:27
I don't use a screen protector, but I have a case that I absolutely love. The CaseLogic StrongMan PLT-2. Holds my n800 nice and snug, protects it from scratches and drops.

Cranq
2008-02-23, 03:00
I've had my n800 for a month, no protector. I owned a Palm Tungsten C for years with no protector, I think they're good for peace of mind but not essential.

acevid
2008-02-23, 03:20
I use the n800 protector from boxwave..

It's kind of like Liberalism..I'm not sure it does anything good, but it makes me feel good

cdmackay
2008-02-23, 04:44
no protector here, no scratches either. use a microfibre cloth to keep it clean.

I also ditched the useless "sock" that the n800 came with, getting a LowePro Apex PV AW case.Big enough to hold a few cables etc, but not too big, and a partitioned compartment, with a screen-friendly panel (it's designed for this sort of tablet) so that the cables don't scratch the screen.

multi
2008-02-23, 05:25
It's kind of like Liberalism..I'm not sure it does anything good, but it makes me feel good

What a laugh :D

false security sounds a lot more like the tactics of the hell bent conservative right

grog
2008-02-23, 20:19
So where do all you screen-protector advocates get your protectors from? What's the best (quality & price)? I for one need a place that ships readily to Canada. tx

davep
2008-02-23, 20:33
Bought this one off of Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/3-Screen-Protector-for-Nokia-N800-N-800-Internet-Table_W0QQitemZ160202714547QQihZ006QQcategoryZ3515 5QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247 QQcmdZViewItem

Nice, good quality, slight squeeshy feeling when using it from the thin silicon layer (I guess). It's a matter of preference, but you never know and its alot cheaper to replace a scratched screen protector than a scratched touch LCD. Never used one on my Treo 650 but I like the protector on the N800. $8.00 is not much to have a little insurance from the weirdness that life throws at you from time to time. Heck your Canadian dollar is kill us yanks here.

geneven
2008-02-23, 20:36
I don't have one, and I am a bit sorry because I have an area along the right where the scroll bar is that is permanently scored. I think I might have spilled something on the screen (soy sauce? honey?) that permanently bonded with the screen in that area. It's not obnoxious or terrible, but I wish it wasn't there.

iamthewalrus
2008-02-23, 21:01
I don't have one, and I am a bit sorry because I have an area along the right where the scroll bar is that is permanently scored. I think I might have spilled something on the screen (soy sauce? honey?) that permanently bonded with the screen in that area. It's not obnoxious or terrible, but I wish it wasn't there.

Are you sure that you also removed the original 'shipping' screenprotector ?

taylork
2008-02-23, 21:55
I bought the cheapest screen protectors I could find on ebay. I would never dare touch the screen without a protector.

I also have the forest green protective case shown here: http://www.thepouch.com/nokia-N800.html (the price is $29.95 not $49.95). It is ok I guess.

Benson
2008-03-07, 18:00
What a laugh :D

false security sounds a lot more like the tactics of the hell bent conservative right

As a hell-bent libertarian right-er, I'll meet you in the off-topic forum at high noon!

J/K

missaghi
2008-03-07, 19:13
i used the 'included' protection film for a month till it got all tattered then bought a $12 box weave protector which is holds up fine but negatively impacts touch screen accuracy.

So i realized that I'm gonna replace this thing in a year and decided to take the protector off, the screen is much brighter with out it and the stylus moves much more smoothly like frictionless smooth.

It's been 2 weeks and no scratch, not even slight wear showing, it's tough stuff. I'd bet that keys would scratch it though.

brecklundin
2008-03-07, 19:18
i used the 'included' protection film for a month till it got all tattered then bought a $12 box weave protector which is holds up fine but negatively impacts touch screen accuracy.

So i realized that I'm gonna replace this thing in a year and decided to take the protector off, the screen is much brighter with out it and the stylus moves much more smoothly like frictionless smooth.

weird, I have exactly the opposite experience with the BoxWAVE Anti-Glare screen protector. Improves the feel of the significantly and does not at all affect the touch accuracy. Nor does it impact the display quality in any way, to my eyes of course.

I even bought another one and cut in half to restore that new touchpad feel to my laptop's worn out touchpad surface. Works perfectly there also.

Funny how people either have difference expectations of impressions of various options. :rolleyes:

geneven
2008-03-07, 19:35
Are you sure that you also removed the original 'shipping' screenprotector ?

Yes, I'm quite sure.

houman
2008-03-25, 16:09
I used the Boxwaves on my Ipaq hx4700 and very happy with it.

on my N95 I use the Clarivue and very impressed, I contacted them and gave them the N800 screen display size 90mm/55mm and they're going to let me know if they have a precut available for it.

-Houman

rdcinhou
2008-03-25, 16:49
I've had my N800 since Nov. 2007 and have never used a protector.
In the last week or so I've noticed a little scoring (not quite scratches and can only be seen under a bright light) that make an arc in the area that I normally use to scroll with. I don't use the edge of the screen but tap in the lower center and drag up and to the right.
So far I haven't noticed any resistance in this area with the stylus so it doesn't appear to be affecting operation.
I often use a lint-free lens cloth to clean the screen (dry, no solvents or water) to keep it readable as I sometimes use my fingers instead of the stylus.

slimjim
2008-03-25, 17:03
I actually still have on the protector that came attached! I managed to remove the little silver tab that's used to pull it off without dislodging the protector itself. It works nicely, though it won't last forever.

houman
2008-03-25, 19:45
Clarivue responded, they will make custom cuts...

http://www.clarivue.com/custom.asp

Told me the corners will be sharp and not rounded like the other ones.

joshv06
2008-03-25, 23:21
I've had mine for 2 months and I got a 1cm scratch down the middle, the n800 comes with a screen protector right out of the box (not the 'hologram' one). The first day my 12 yr old brother got his, he scratched the screen really badly, and I switched the out-of-the-box screen protector for a pelican psp screen protector.

OppositeOfIgnorance
2008-03-26, 00:05
i wish i did

wavefinder
2008-03-26, 00:11
jesus! hope mine has one. i lazily used the stylus from my 770 and created some scratches,which the stylus for 800 doesn't. so, i hope there is one stuck on!

chrisak
2008-03-26, 01:50
I did have a screen protector but not anymore; I scratched up my n800 on purpose so I wouldn't always be worried about it. Rubbed my ipod on the sidewalk and ruffed up my camera as well. I've found that trying to baby personal electronics and constantly fretting over them while backpacking long term is a one way ticket to misrery :)