PDA

View Full Version : Doom2 for lxdoom

multi
2008-02-22, 23:57
As much as I love the first doom1 wad file I had to try this to see if it worked. I thought it probably would.So if you have spent enough hours playing that first oneyou are probably ready to progress on to this next one :D

a very quick and dirty way to do it, there are probably better ways like symlinks to the media card .. but this worked well enough for me.

find a doom2 wad file (http://rapidshare.com/files/94097548/doom2.rar.html)
unzip and rename to doom1.wad
move to root of removable card

sudo gainroot
cp media/mmc1/doom1.wad /usr/share/lxdoom/doom1.wad

it will overwrite the shareware doom1.wad

start the game

bug: the down arrow on the movement pad that you use with the stylus keeps bringing up the menu as if somehow it it bound to the ESC function... I will try and work out to fix this. (playing around with the setup options seemed to fix it.. not sure how though)

rm -rf
2008-02-23, 03:27
Cool.

Now -- where are the cheat codes? ;)

multi
2008-02-24, 11:09
* IDDQD - Descreatlessness (God)
* IDKFA - Get All weapons, ammo and keys
* IDFA - Get All weapons and ammo (no keys)
* IDCHOPPERS - Get Chainsaw
* IDBEHOLD# - Followed by a letter will give you one of many things, try it.
* IDCLIP - Walk through walls
* IDCLEV## - Followed by level number, it will warp you to that level.
* IDMUS## - Followed by level number, it will play the music of that level.
* IDDT - When in map mode (tab), this will give you the full map.
* IDDT again - will give you full map with all items and monsters displayed

not sure how you would enter them in this version ...hahaha
;)

I hope it plays ok for ya..

rm -rf
2008-02-24, 17:16
So far, so good.

I figured out how to re-map the shift key so I can sprint. That seems to be essential to getting through some of the levels.

Pretty cool!

Benson
2008-02-25, 16:08
not sure how you would enter them in this version ...hahaha
;)

Haven't tried, but xkbd should work, or a BT/USB keyboard or N810, of course.

bilofsky
2008-03-28, 22:19
I've downloaded some Doom 1 wads and renamed them to doom1.wad, but lxdoom doesn't seem to like them. When I click Play, it goes to Continue/Restart and keeps doing that.

Are you saying that Doom 2 wads will work with lxdoom? Can you mention or point to one or two specific ones that are known to work?

Thanks for any help.

Benson
2008-03-28, 22:38
If you have a Doom 1 shareware IWAD, it would normally be named doom1.wad.
Doom 1 (registered, 3 or 4 episodes) is doom.wad.
Doom 2 is doom2.wad.

Renaming any of those as doom1.wad will work.

Any PWADs will require the correct IWAD, and additionally will need loaded themselves. Probably via command-line options, but I uninstalled lxdoom some time ago, so I can't readily check.

b-man
2008-03-29, 16:07
Here's a nother fun and easy way of replaceing the doom1.wad by using xarchiver, x-terminal and, emelfm2. (this is for if you are not good at using the root shell or if you are having problems)
You aswell need at least 19mb of system memory free inorder to do this...

1. download the doom2.wad and unpack it using xarchiver and extract it into mmc1 or mmc2
2. using your file file manager, rename the wad file to doom1.wad
3. open x-terminal and enter "sudio gainroot" and then after you've enabled the root shell enter "emelfm2" (this will cause emelfm2 to go into root mode so you can replace the exzisting wad file)
4. split the screen so you can see two directorys at once, you can do this by pressing the button that is last in the upper left hand corner. (if you allrety have a split screen or you know how to do this skip this step)
5. on one side go to the directory /usr/share/lxdoom and on the other side go to /media/mmc1 or /media/mmc2 depending on ware you have the wad file
6. using your sylis, drag the wad file frome /media/mmc1 or 2 and drop it into the /usr/share/lxdoom, it will ask you if you want to override the current file, tap yes (it may take a while because the new wad file is 17mb in size)
7. after it is done, close all applications, now you've successfuly updated lxdoom!

Tell me how it went:)
Enjoy!!!!:D

bilofsky
2008-03-31, 14:28
If you have a Doom 1 shareware IWAD, it would normally be named doom1.wad.
Doom 1 (registered, 3 or 4 episodes) is doom.wad.
Doom 2 is doom2.wad.
Thanks. Turns out lxdoom also looks for doom2.wad. If both it and doom1.wad are present, it runs doom2.wad.

I still haven't been able to run any third-party WADs under lxdoom. I confess I don't know the difference between a PWAD and IWAD, or how to create a shortcut in the N810 menu that will run lxdoom with them. If anyone feels like stooping to give instructions for that, I would be grateful. In the meantime, doom2.wad will keep me busy for a while.

qwerty12
2008-03-31, 14:30
You know you can use symlinks right? EmelFM2 can make them easily.

or you can also use a little something I made:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16145

Set that up above and all you have to do for next time is to replace the wads on the mem card with any name.

Benson
2008-03-31, 15:02
OK, here's the lxdoom man page (http://linux.com.hk/penguin/man/6/lxdoom.html); I assume none of the necessary bits are disabled in our port...

An IWAD is a self-sufficient game; the original WADs, any mods made by altering them, or some TCs. A PWAD is a supplementary file that contains only some data, often just maps, while relying on a (specific) IWAD for the rest (e.g. textures, sounds, weapons). Because these are separately loadable, it's better to put anything but a TC in a PWAD, than to incorporate the changes in the IWAD. Not everything is done that way, though.

Since your WADs won't load as an IWAD, I assume they're PWADs.
Note on the lxdoom manpage, you can use the -file option to load PWADs. So you'll have to do something like:
lxdoom -file wadfile.wad

Actually, you probably need more options; see what options it is running with currently, and add the -file filename.wad to it.

Copy the .desktop file, modify appropriately, including adding the -file bit, and you should have it working from the launcher... I hope. ;)