PDA

View Full Version : Can you put unit into Standby?

RBraverman
2008-02-27, 22:25
... so that one can swap batteries and let the unit "get you back where you belong"?

GeneralAntilles
2008-02-28, 05:48
... so that one can swap batteries and let the unit "get you back where you belong"?

Well, yes, you can put the unit into standby, but the hardware watchdogs don't like it and will step in and kill the thing pretty quickly.

But that's irrelevant, as there's no "fat-cap" in there to allow the unit to remain powered on long enough for you to swap the battery—if you take the battery out, the unit dies.

jamesc760
2008-03-01, 17:59
if take the battery out while it's plugged in ac adaper, will n800 keep running?

GeneralAntilles
2008-03-01, 18:01
if take the battery out while it's plugged in ac adaper, will n800 keep running?

No, no it will not. (battery-swap fat-cap is on my wishlist for the N900)

suitti
2008-03-04, 20:09
Can you change batteries while on A/C without power down? This isn't something i'd try without knowing in advance. Some devices use the battery as a cap for a dumb charger...

It's also unlikely. I'd have to be out somewhere, with my extra battery, and my A/C, and be near an outlet, and be low on the first battery, and have at least one app up that doesn't remember where it was, and i'd have to care. Maybe if I flew more, and, uhm, watched movies. When my 16 GB SD arrives, maybe it'll be an option.

I used to wait 10-15 minutes near an outlet at the end of the day, and it was good enough to just plug in for that long. I didn't have a spare battery back then.

GeneralAntilles
2008-03-04, 20:31
Can you change batteries while on A/C without power down?

Read the post above yours? <_<

fanoush
2008-03-04, 20:40
Never tried but it could if you manage to kill or pause bme daemon without rest of the system noticing and rebooting unit.