PDA

View Full Version : N800 as MP3 player

viktorfrankl
2008-02-29, 00:14
Using an N800 as a primary mp3 player is problematic. There are some things that could be done to make it better though. I love the tablet because it is one gadget that replaces several other gadgets, but unfortunately I am getting more and more frustrated when using it as an MP3 player.

___As far as I've seen, there is no perfect or near-perfect mp3 playback app. For me, personally, a good media (or even just music) playback app would have the following:

-no eye candy. Just a black background with white text. Not textures and no animations whatsoever. No fades or dissolves. If I’m listening to music, I am not worried about how pretty the screen looks. (I am, of course, worried about how usable it is, and design does play into that.)

-a feature that allows the user to lock the touchscreen, but not the hardware buttons. That way, you can reach into your pocket and control the playback without worrying about the touchscreen.

-screen rotation, 90 degrees at a time, so you can use it in portrait mode, or use it upside down if that helps with being left-handed or something. I dunno. Why not?

-simple, hierarchical navigation, with access to all levels at all times (this is one of the complaints I have about iPods, too.) And why not implement an iTunes-like interface, as an optional navigation function? I don’t see why this is so impossible. Not ALL portable media players have to mimic iPods.

-no album covers. I really don’t care what the cover looks like. They are too small to use for navigation anyways. Most of my MP3s don’t have album cover files. About 1% of them do. This isn’t even a sacrifice, I actually really don’t want a media player with album cover functionality. Good transition to my next point....

-As touch screen-friendly as possible. Since I don’t care about album covers, I REALLY don’t care for them taking up the entire playing now screen. I am baffled as to why this would ever be a good idea. I want a huge play/stop button, two huge track skip buttons, a huge volume control, and file info text. I want the D-pad to behave like a normal MP3 player D-pad.

-I don’t care about rating songs. Why would you put songs that you didn’t like on your tablet in the first place?

-actual settings. I was excited to find out that Canola2 finally had real settings, and then was really disappointed when I found out that there was like 2 things you can set.

I apologize in advance is there is already an app that has these qualifications. I guess I didn’t look hard enough.

___Aside from software features, there are some limitations of the N800 that can’t really be remedied, like the fact that the headphone jack is on the opposite side of the D-pad, and so you can’t put your tablet in your pocket with the D-pad side up because there’s always a headphone cable sticking out the bottom. This is so annoying. It forces me to take out the tablet, unlock it, press buttons, lock it, and put it back in.

Benson
2008-02-29, 00:22
Using an N800 as a primary mp3 player is problematic. There are some things that could be done to make it better though. I love the tablet because it is one gadget that replaces several other gadgets, but unfortunately I am getting more and more frustrated when using it as an MP3 player.

___As far as I've seen, there is no perfect or near-perfect mp3 playback app. For me, personally, a good media (or even just music) playback app would have the following:

-no eye candy. Just a black background with white text. Not textures and no animations whatsoever. No fades or dissolves. If I’m listening to music, I am not worried about how pretty the screen looks. (I am, of course, worried about how usable it is, and design does play into that.)

-a feature that allows the user to lock the touchscreen, but not the hardware buttons. That way, you can reach into your pocket and control the playback without worrying about the touchscreen.
You can get this one with powerlaunch and either xmms or mpd, the latter being my prefered solution.
-screen rotation, 90 degrees at a time, so you can use it in portrait mode, or use it upside down if that helps with being left-handed or something. I dunno. Why not?

-simple, hierarchical navigation, with access to all levels at all times (this is one of the complaints I have about iPods, too.) And why not implement an iTunes-like interface, as an optional navigation function? I don’t see why this is so impossible. Not ALL portable media players have to mimic iPods.

-no album covers. I really don’t care what the cover looks like. They are too small to use for navigation anyways. Most of my MP3s don’t have album cover files. About 1% of them do. This isn’t even a sacrifice, I actually really don’t want a media player with album cover functionality. Good transition to my next point....

-As touch screen-friendly as possible. Since I don’t care about album covers, I REALLY don’t care for them taking up the entire playing now screen. I am baffled as to why this would ever be a good idea. I want a huge play/stop button, two huge track skip buttons, a huge volume control, and file info text. I want the D-pad to behave like a normal MP3 player D-pad.

-I don’t care about rating songs. Why would you put songs that you didn’t like on your tablet in the first place?

-actual settings. I was excited to find out that Canola2 finally had real settings, and then was really disappointed when I found out that there was like 2 things you can set.

I apologize in advance is there is already an app that has these qualifications. I guess I didn’t look hard enough.

___Aside from software features, there are some limitations of the N800 that can’t really be remedied, like the fact that the headphone jack is on the opposite side of the D-pad, and so you can’t put your tablet in your pocket with the D-pad side up because there’s always a headphone cable sticking out the bottom. This is so annoying. It forces me to take out the tablet, unlock it, press buttons, lock it, and put it back in.
BT headset for me.

What I use is mpd, mmpc, and powerlaunch. It gets some of what you want, though not the whole thing. I'd love something like you're discussing, but mmpc and powerlaunch/mpc controlling mpd gets me enough to be content.

drhal35
2008-02-29, 00:39
this one looks like fodder for the General......

OppositeOfIgnorance
2008-02-29, 03:22
everything u want can be done with canola

wut u should be complaining about is how painful it is upgrading it, and how half the time, media player is being ******ed aand "unable to perform action".

95% of the time, canola works. i usually wait on upgrading it cuz updating is problematic. but when canola is stable, it works beautifully. i use it on a daily basis and vibe to radiohead without fail.

smackpotato
2008-02-29, 03:53
have you tried kmplayer it is my favorrite and it interfaces to mplayer ,media server or flash

viktorfrankl
2008-02-29, 03:57
I think perhaps you guys should read my post more carefully. I'm not insulting, it's just that what you're saying doesn't apply. Thanks for responding though! I've tried both of those, they don't meet the requirements I wanted.

viktorfrankl
2008-02-29, 05:54
Oh, and Benson, thanks for the suggestion, but part of the user-friendliness that I'm looking for also applies to the format and installation =P

thoughtfix
2008-03-05, 23:02
There are advantages and disadvantages to using the N800 as a primary music player compared to - say - an iPod. I'll have to hammer out an article in the very near future on this topic.

I think my biggest annoyance was keeping SD cards separate and then having to re-index them when they got into the device. I resolved this by putting all video on one card and all music on the other.

The features you requested are very specific and rare - I don't expect them to come from a single music playback program in the near future. The N800 is better as a desktop/office/car portable media player and not a pocket device specifically because touch controls cannot be used intuitively while within the pocket. Thanks for the inspiration - I'll get to work on this article.